True Grit (1969)

There are 250 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 304,709 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• true grit is my favourite duke film.it has the best name for a villain/bad-guy ever in lucky ned pepper ( my member name !! ). the scenery is just superb,good story and decent enough supporting cast. i give it 5 out of 5.
    rooster cogburn is still a good film but not true grit class so i give it 4 out of 5

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Hi Todd

Thanks for the link

Seems the extras are trade secrets but after some digging I found a list of them

Features:
    Commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Baze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook
    True Writing
    Working with the Duke
    Aspen Gold: Locations of True Grit
    The Law and The Lawless
    Theatrical Trailer

The DVD is selling for as little as $3-$5.00

I found this quote from a previous post on this thread

I too bought the special collectors edition and was slightly disappointed. I haven't listened to the commentary track yet, but the other special features were perhaps sub par. I say this only because the documentaries total forty minutes or less and to re-buy a movie that I already own for that seems a little lame. What I really wish is that they had done a huge trumped up version like Rio Bravo and the Searchers.

No doubt if I buy this version a new super doper version will be unveiled!!!

Mike

• Rooster Cogburn was just the perfect role for John Wayne. Today I watched True Grit again and I like this movie more and more. The novel sounds good and I think I'm gonna read the book. IMO Henry Hathaway directed the movie very carefully and the cast isn't that bad. At least Kim Darby and Glen Cambell are not stealing the show of Duke. I couldn't think of another guy to play Rooster Cogburn.
    Not quite sure if I should be happy with a remake of the Coen Brothers. Their movies are all a bit strange so what they will do with "True Grit" ?

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• Rooster Cogburn was just the perfect role for John Wayne. Today I watched True Grit again and I like this movie more and more. The novel sounds good and I think I'm gonna read the book. IMO Henry Hathaway directed the movie very carefully and the cast isn't that bad. At least Kim Darby and Glen Cambell are not stealing the show of Duke. I couldn't think of another guy to play Rooster Cogburn.
    Not quite sure if I should be happy with a remake of the Coen Brothers. Their movies are all a bit strange so what they will do with "True Grit" ?

Have to agree with this and other similar comments in this thread. The novel is very different at the end to the film but a great read just the same.

The Coen brothers remaking True Grit? Why? JW is not here to play Rooster and as has already been pointed out the Coen brothers make STRANGE films! I am not really a fan of remakes per say. Very few films benefit from being made over! But True Grit being remade by the Coen brothers! tantamount to Taranteno remaking Disney's Fantasia!!

True Grit is my ALL-TIME FAVOURITE FILM, EVER!!!! and the BEST role JW played.

Oh sure he was a better actor in the searchers and you could argue over many points as most folks do! After all it is, like most things in life, very subjective.

But, as an all round, family picture, a light-hearted look at life, with a simple message of decent values this is IT.

My almost 3 year old granddaughter has seen this at least 5 times - not all the way through but she must have seen 50% by now. I think this is her favourite JW film cos when I say we will watch one she asks for this each time! Long may she continue to ask!

other than video, audio items and books. I now concentrate on collecting items from True Grit only. I have over 100 original production stills and loads of other stuff.

So JohnChisum, Luckynedpepper and all others who rate Rooster and True grit, all I can add is you are in GREAT COMPANY

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited once, last by Elly ().

• Does anyone remember if Rooster gave La Beouf(Glen Cambell) a nickname that he used through out the film? I haven't had time to get my copy out and watch it, just wondering if someone knew off the top of there head if he had a nickname for him.

Friend of mine was asking......I just cannot seem to remember.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I can't remember a nickname that he used throughout the film. He called him a Texas brush popper and a waddie (sp?) but only used them once. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Anyone else know?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• He called him a "Texan" & a "Texican" during the pit scene. When he was down in the pit trying to get Mattie out of the pit, he said, "Texan...when you need him, he's dead." Then, after LaBeouf had died, he remarked, "Texican...saved my neck twice...once after he was dead."

He referred to him as "boy" twice...."How long you boys been mounted on sheep down there?" & "I took the boy home to be buried in his Ranger suit."

But referring to him with a single nickname throughout the film....don't remember that.

• Does anyone know, whats the difference between a texan and a texican? i noticed in the alamo they were referrring to them as texicans as well.
    watched this film again at the weekend and noticed this time how beautiful the scenery is and how many good camera shots there are of it - i love the character rooster cogburn as well - haven t seen the movie rooster cogburn yet but think that will have to be my next one

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Just by Googling it, this is what I found:

A “Texican” was (pre-1836) a person from Texas (then part of Mexico) of non-Mexican ancestry. After Texas became independent and then a state (post-1836), the term “Texican” began to be used for a person of Mexican ancestry living in Texas. Exactly the opposite!

Oklahomans use the term “Texican” to demean all Texans (as being of lowly Mexican ancestry).

In the 1966 movie The Texican, the term meant a Texan (an American citizen from Texas, of non-Mexican ancestry) living in Mexico—somewhat similar to the pre-1836 use.

In the 1970s, “Texican” began to be used for “part Texan and part Mexican,” similar to the term “Tex-Mex.”

Can't vouch for the validity of the explanation though. Just found it on a website...

• thanks for that - i thought there must be a reason behind it but couldn t think what - interesting as well that its a term that has changed its usage over the years

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• I just got done reading the book True Grit, the movie followed it pretty well, the end was slightly different. Their were minor details that werent in the movie. The end it gave kind of a summary of what happened to the people after the movie cuts off. Its quite obvious that it wasnt initially intended for a sequal. They have rooster leaving arkansas with a dead friends wife and ranching in San Antonio Texas, being a range detective in several states, then later traveling with a wild west show along side Frank James, and Cole Younger. He died in 1903 in the book and Mattie brought his body back to Dardanelle, Arkansas. The Texas Ranger lived and was found by marshalls beside the snake pit, and took Chaney's body back to Texas and was never seen or heard of again.

• Just watched this again....it has to be my all time favorite movie. (Rio Bravo and El Dorado are a close second and third, but because of Duke's portrayal of Rooster, this has to be my favorite)

What's interesting for me is that I'm not that far from where the stories of "True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn" take place; so, I know all these places! I'm just about two to three hours away from McAlaster, OK (back in the 1870's and 1880's called "McAlaster's Trading Post" or "McAlster's Store" in the movie), the Winding Stair Mountains (Part of the Ouchita Mountain chain in Western Arkansas and Easter Oklahoma) where the famous shoot-out takes place in the movie and the novel, and I'm just about three hours away from Fort Smith Arkansas, where the real Judge Parker's court is now a museum. Of course the area looks nothing like Colorado or Oregon, where the movies were filmed, but still the Ouchita Mountains are pretty and rugged country in thier own right and it's an interesting area with lots of history there. Charles Portis did a lot of research when he wrote that novel. (bud)

• Love, love, love this movie! And I have to say I think Kim Darby was a perfect fit for the role. To me, she showed the strength and determination to do what had to be done in spite of the fact that she really was just a little girl. Maybe it's because I was just about her age when the movie was first released but I think it was the first time I realized that just because I was a girl, it didn't mean I couldn't be and do anything I set my mind to....

• Thanks Chester, I enjoyed the True Grit then and now.

I liked True Grit, Lucky Ned and Duke carried the movie.
    John Wayne was so over due for an Oscar that if he didn't win for True Grit it would have been highway robbery.

• I guess most folks have heard they are in the process of remaking True Grit. This time more through the eyes of Mattie. The same folks that made Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy and many others (Coen brothers I beleive are their names). A release date in 2011 I think it said. I can only imagine who will be cast in this. Just have to wait and see I rekon. Hope they don't totally ruin it!