True Grit (1969)

There are 250 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 307,065 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• About four and a half years ago on the first page of this thread someone had asked if anyone knew where the filming location was for the "dugout" scene. There were some attempts to try and nail it down but no one ever did quite hit the mark. I

Thanks for the great photos, but I believe we did nail down the location!
    see this post from November 2006

http://www.dukewayne.com/showthread.php?t=1823&page=3

Obviously we were not able to have the photos you have posted,
    but it does point out, that True Grit, North To Alaska and
    Nevada Smith were filmed at Mammoth Lakes.

I have also copied your post over to
    Duke's Movie Locations- California

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks, I did see that but what I meant by hitting the "mark" was Hot Creek itself which is still quite a few miles away from the village of Mammoth Lakes and if one were to try and specifically locate where the dugout scene was filmed.

• I was just getting ready to post this. Glad someone already did it. I just absolutely love the cover art for the Blu-Ray version of True Grit. Just the picture of The Duke alone, oozes the title of the movie.

• More info on the extras on the True Grit Blu-ray (from thedigitalbits.com):

Paramount's True Grit Blu-ray will include commentary with Western film historian Jeb Rosebrook, editor of True West magazine Bob Boze Bell and historian J. Stuart Rosebrook, featurettes on the writing, locations and working with Wayne, and the theatrical trailer.

Jeb Rosebrook also wrote the screenplay of Junior Bonner as well as scripts for TV shows such as The Virginian, The Waltons and The Yellow Rose. Here is his IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741775/

Also with his son, Jeb Stuart Rosebrook, he wrote a wonderful article for Arizona Highways about the history of westerns filmed in Arizona. This article includes that full-page shot of John Wayne in Hondo that I posted here a little while ago. I scanned in the article and posted it to my Ben Johnson page last month. You can read it at: http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com/memorabilia/62

• Just saw the OTG again on TCM the other nite and noticed a couple things for the first time.
    1. Wilfred Brimley in the courtroom scene. He's seated in the front row of the audience, pretty much center. As Alfred Ryder is grilling Rooster, you can see Brimley just over Ryder's right shoulder.
    2. Chuck Hayward and Jim Burke as members of Pepper's gang. They are just to the right of Duvall as the gang rides up to the shanty Moon and Quincy were to meet them at. They both disappear in the gunfight-Burke seems to be the one shot saving Pepper's life, but maybe just doubled the kid that gets killed. Anyhow, both are gone after the battle (but if you watch real close, Burke can be made out doubling Duke in long shots of his "fill-yer-hand" gunfight with Ned, and carrying Mattie after the snake-bite).

Edited once, last by alamo221 ().

• did the duke really jump the fence at the end or was it a stuntman?

From our opening post:-

Contrary to popular belief, John Wayne did not jump over the fence himself at the end of the movie. In fact, according to biographer Garry Wills in his book "John Wayne's America", Wayne was not healthy enough to do such stunts. It should be remembered that Wayne had an entire lung removed four years prior to making the film and actually had trouble walking more than thirty feet without breathing heavily.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• thanks for the answer-i thought so because of his health and the altitude-one of the people doing the commentary on a dvd copy i bought at walmart said that he did but the shot shows him riding and then cuts to a long shot of horse and rider going over fence-it just seemed that it was roberson or whoever doing the stunt-ten years before i know he could have done that-the guys doing the commentary should know more then said-they didnt even talk about the guy playing tom chaney-he was in films for over 50 years and in 1969 was in a good scene in butch cassidy and the sundance kid as the freindly sheriff who tells them thier time is up- people on this site could do a better job. i have added so much info to my duke notes-thanks one and all

• I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Jim Burke being Duke's double for the jump (he doubled Duke for the longshots of the shootout with Pepper's gang).