True Grit (1969)

There are 250 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 306,739 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• That's a neat photo from "True Grit". It isn't from the film itself though, is it? Is it an alternate scene? There was snow on the ground in the scene in the film & Rooster was wearing a jacket. I've seen a lot of stills from the film, but have never seen this one before. Thanks, lasbugas....

• Hello All !! And Alamo..you are correct..That jump was done by Stuntman Jim Burk...longtime western stuntman..who passed away last year at his Montana ranch...If your wondering who he is : Watch Big Jake in the begining..He is "Trooper" the backshooter...Also in The Undefeated he is the one who fight Merlin Olsen at the 4th of July meeting.....You guys are GOOD !! Happy Sunday to all !!! Relax, have an Irish Whiskey...and put a Duke flick on the DVD...TJ " The Lawman"

A Man..should know how to handle a gun..Use it with Discretion...:cowboy:

• Hello All !! And Alamo..you are correct..That jump was done by Stuntman Jim Burk...longtime western stuntman..who passed away last year at his Montana ranch...If your wondering who he is : Watch Big Jake in the begining..He is "Trooper" the backshooter...Also in The Undefeated he is the one who fight Merlin Olsen at the 4th of July meeting.....You guys are GOOD !! Happy Sunday to all !!! Relax, have an Irish Whiskey...and put a Duke flick on the DVD...TJ " The Lawman"

HOWEVER, Glenn Campbell would beg to differ!!!
    Campbell recalls the legendary Duke

LOS ANGELES, California -- Glen Campbell, who starred alongside John Wayne in the 1969 film "True Grit," is helping American Movie Classics promote its John Wayne Film Festival, which runs Thursday through Sunday.
    On Tuesday, Campbell said working with Wayne was a career highlight.
    "Acting alongside the larger-than-life star I'd grown up idolizing back in Delight, Arkansas, was truly one of the most memorable experiences of my life," said Campbell, 65.
    He also took time to recall one of his favorite John Wayne moments -- when he witnessed the Duke clear a fence on horseback during the filming of "True Grit." Director Henry Hathaway was worried it would be a financial disaster if Wayne got hurt doing the stunt, said Campbell.
    "Duke insisted that he do his own jump," Campbell recalled. "He shouted at Hathaway, 'I ain't having no one jump for me. I'll do my own stunts, thank you. Besides, I can jump a four-rail fence without a horse.'
    "So John Wayne ... rolled in the saddle as his nag ran at a gallop in the snow toward the chest-high fence. The horse stretched, Duke rose, and the two cleared the fence with plenty of room."
    The AMC film festival will feature 35 films starring Wayne. The Duke died in 1979 at age 72.
    21 July 2001 CNN entertainment news

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Joseph, I just read this topic to get up to date and found this very interesting. First, let me say that I'd like to welcome you on a belated basis to this message board. It is so good to have you. And what stories you have here! I watched J. Egar a few weeks ago and do remember the scene that you were in.

I guess what I found particularly interesting is the comment Duke made in regards to like having Liza Minnelli play the part of Mattie Ross in True Grit. Most of us are aware of Duke's opinion of Kim Darby, but didn't know he was interesed in Liza. If he could have chosen her, it might have saved Liza's mother's life. The movie was released (True Grit) on June 11, 1969 and Judy Garland died June 22, 1969.

And Liza is a little older than Kim, but it might have worked.

But thanks for sharing that and so many other stories, they were a treat. And again welcome.

Cheers :cool: Mike aka Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Mike:

I don't really know too much about the conflicts on the set of 'True Grit'. I can't really remember how the subject came up, but Duke did express displeasure with Kim Darby's work and conduct. I remember he said she was 'disrespectful'. I asked if she was disrespectful of Henry Hathaway, and Duke fixed me with his eyes and said: 'She was disrespectful of everybody'.

I actually think Kim Darby gives quite an effective performance in 'True Grit'. She seems natural and convincing, and provides a good foil for Duke's 'Rooster'. I've never thought of Liza Minnelli in rustic or rural roles. But of course, 'True Grit' was probably being cast right around the time she was making a big impression in 'The Sterile Cuckoo'.

Joe

• This is from our opening post, relating to the casting of Mattie Ross.
    However it doesn't seem to mention Liza Minnelli!

John Wayne had met singer Karen Carpenter fter judging The Carpenters
    on a college talent show ,he hosted prior to the shooting of this movie.
    Wayne was so impressed that he wanted Carpenter cast in the role of Mattie Ross.
    The producers went with Kim Darby, who had acting experience; however,
    Wayne did not like working with her, because he felt she was unprofessional on the set.

John Wayne was disappointed by the casting of Kim Darby as Mattie Ross,
    and the two hardly spoke at all off camera. He later said,
    "Christ, talk about having no chemistry with your leading lady!
    She was the goddamn lousiest actress I ever worked with."
    John Wayne had initially promised the role of Mattie Ross
    to his daughter Aissa Wayne, but director Henry Hathaway
    refused to cast her.

Mia Farrow, among other well-known actresses,
    was approached to play Mattie, but she turned it down. Robert Mitchum
    had told her that Henry Hathaway was impossible to work with.
    She later said it was one of the biggest professional mistakes of her career.

Kim Darby's character was supposed to be 14.

Tuesday Weld turned down the role of Mattie

Sally Field was also up for the part of Mattie Ross.

Sondra Locke was considered for the role of Mattie Ross.
    She read the script but wanted to do avoid type-casting.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• This might be fun if you're in Oklahoma in July...

The Constantine Theater -- a beautiful old restored theater -- in Pawhuska, Ben Johnson's home town, will be screening True Grit at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 19.

• Nice shots all. Also, did you all know that the character that Kim Darby played in one of those stupid halloween movies--got axed by the freak in the movie. She was next to some white (figures too) sheets hung out to dry and she lost her glasses and was looking for them when the freak gave her 50 whacks. I saw it posted on youtube.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Nice shots all. Also, did you all know that the character that Kim Darby played in one of those stupid halloween movies--got axed by the freak in the movie. She was next to some white (figures too) sheets hung out to dry and she lost her glasses and was looking for them when the freak gave her 50 whacks. I saw it posted on youtube.

That may have been Halloween 5 (or 4, 6, etc)-I think she was trying for a come back at the time.

• That may have been Halloween 5 (or 4, 6, etc)-I think she was trying for a come back at the time.

Ive never seen any of them fully through cept I think the first one with Jamie Lee Curtis in it. I hated the rest and didnt care much for the one Curtis was in but watched it only because she was in it.

Im not trying to be mean but--as Kim Darby looked in that movie--she was scarier looking than the killer was.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I watched the DVD released in 2007 that had commentary from 3 people I'd never heard of. They may not have known much about film history but they did seem to know alot about True Grit.