True Grit (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 221 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dukefan1.

• Re: True Grit (1969)

oldmose wrote:

I guess most folks have heard they are in the process of remaking True Grit. This time more through the eyes of Mattie. The same folks that made Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy and many others (Coen brothers I believe are their names). A release date in 2011 I think it said. I can only imagine who will be cast in this. Just have to wait and see I reckon. Hope they don't totally ruin it!

oldmose,

WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board! Glad to see you get your feet wet making your first post here.

There has been some discussion around here about the remake of True Grit, some of which you can pick up beginning on page 6 of this thread (just scroll to the top or the bottom and you should see a link to the different pages). More recently, we have discussed it here.

We look forward to hearing more from you!

Again - welcome!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

As idiotic as the idea of remaking True Grit is, I love Jeff Bridges. He is a great actor, very underrated.

Jeff Bridges is in serious negotiations to take the role made famous by John Wayne in the Coen brothers' new version of True Grit.

It could be the Big Lebowski reunion we've been waiting for folded into the Coens' idea to take the novel that inspired the 1969 original and make a more faithful adaptation.

The pair have been considering the idea for a while now, with the Daily Mail first reporting word that they were seriously interested back in February 2008.

Now, with A Serious Man playing festivals, it looks like they're truly saddling up at last.

The 1969 film - for which Wayne won an Oscar - followed a 14-year=old girl who tags along with US Marshal Rooster Cogburn to find the outlaw who slaughtered her father - focuses on Cogburn's point of view.

But the Coens' idea will stick closer to the Charles Portis book, which is geared towards the girl's recollections.

We'd say they needed luck to pull off something as memorable as the original grit - but this is the Coens, and they already have No Country For Old Men under their belt to reassure everyone

totalfilm.com/news/jeff-bridge…yne?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news

I have to say that I enjoyed the casting, and the memorable bad guy, but No Country For Old Men left me cold. Based on that, I'd probably wait and see the new TG when it hits cable.

While I think that the Coen Brothers are more into tongue and cheek screenplays, I can't fathom why anyone would want to remake this film without that slant. Bridges is an astute actor, and plays roles that fit him, so I trust that there must be some nuanced script that compels these talented people to remake this classic.
      But who the hell is going to score this? They might be better of just reusing Bernstein's music.
      When some misguided fools remade The Alamo in 2004, the biggest disgrace was Cater Burwell's dirge-like score. It killed what little attributes were in it (of course, I'm excepting the fiddle/bugle sequence).
      If they opt for a mock heroic music theme, it will bury the movie.

We deal in lead, friend.

I'm sure this YouTube video is posted somewhere around here, but not in this thread. I'm pretty sure, as I just went thru 13 pages. It should be here, so . . . Unfortunately, the Embedding is disabled, so you need to click on "Watch on YouTube"

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQhODwivLU&feature[/extendedmedia]

The post was edited 1 time, last by chester7777 ().

Here's an interesting variation in the original book story.
      In Charles Portis's 1968 novel, True Grit, the U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn describes fighting with Cole Younger and Frank James for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Long after his adventure with Mattie Ross, Cogburn ends his days in a traveling road show with the aged Cole Younger and Frank James.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: "True Grit" : The Remake !!!

Gorch wrote:

I know that Hathaway wanted Duke to sport a mustache and he refused on grounds that moviegoers came to see his face.

Suprised to hear that Duke said this, particually when you consider
      She Wore A Yellow Ribbon was Duke's favourite film,
      and in that movie isn't he wearing a moustache??
      Didn't seem to do his popularity much harm then!!!

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: "True Grit" : The Remake !!!

ethanedwards wrote:

Suprised to hear that Duke said this, particually when you consider
      She Wore A Yellow Ribbon was Duke's favourite film,
      and in that movie isn't he wearing a moustache??
      Didn't seem to do his popularity much harm then!!!

Duke said the combo of both the Eye patch and Mustache would obscure his face to much.

I don't know why, but somehow I find this hilarious. . .

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOle5GPLpoM[/extendedmedia]

If you go to youtube, you can see that the same guy has done the same thing to memorable moments from other movies (Spartacus, Planet of the Apes, ect.). Cracks me up, every time.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!