True Grit (1969)

There are 250 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 304,680 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Duke's Movie Locations

Much of True Grit was made in
    California and Colorado

MAMMOTH LAKES- CALIFORNIA

True Grit- Mammoth Lake Location Photos

The cabin scenes for this Movie, North to Alaska,
    Nevada Smith, were also filmed here

Kates Meadow, Colorado

Katies_Meadow_Petengill.jpg

Ouray Court House, Colorado

65289.jpg
    Google- Images

Ridgeway

shadowsjb_photolt.jpgridgway.jpg

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• hi Keith,
    Very interesting information and links, thanks for that. Very attractive cafe indeed. I always thought that True Grit movie location is one of the most beautiful, but can't imagine that there is so much to see and visit right now.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Keith - it is just amazing all the information you have been able to dig up and share with the rest of us. The photos are an additional bonus. Thank you so much for providing the board with everything.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I watched True Grit today and I definitely think Senta is right about the footage being cut out from ride back with Mattie after the snakebite.

Looking at the DVD it just looks like it has been edited in some way to make it look less harsh.

Mike

• Heres a visual treat regarding the locations on True Grit, I think many will be surprised to see the rock during the final shootout still in existance.

YouTube - Please see new revised version; link is in description

Regarding the scene in which Duke takes a knife to little Blackey, I'm unsure whether this scene was ever in the film. It sounds very much like what Duke did to Darby's arm and I have not heard reports elsewhere of this scene so I doubt if it ever existed.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• We just watched True Grit again last night for probably about the 20th time, and my wife located a glaring blooper that wasn't listed here on page one. In the opening scenes, Frank Ross and Cheney are making preparations to depart out in front of the Ross house. Then when the camera pans to the front or the house, the sunlight is in the faces of everyone standing on the porch looking out. In fact you can clearly see that the sunlight is reaching through the open front door of the house about 10 - 15 inches. Then Frank Ross goes inside, spends about 2 minutes with Mattie, and then goes back outside to leave. When he is back outside, the sun is going in the opposite direction, and the porch is completely shaded, with the shadow line in front of the house going out at least 10 feet from the porch.

We just love this film. My wife has tromped all over that part of Colorado as her family regularly vacationed there when she grew up. She even found a tree, that the locals had pointed out, where Wayne had carved his name.

We would like to get back there someday.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Ref. the scene where Rooster cuts Little Blackie's whithers to keep him running...I don't remember ever seeing that particular scene in the movie (any of the bazillion times I've seen it); however, I definitely remember it being in the book. Course, I have been known to be wrong before....:uhoh:

• You're not wrong,Dexter. You're correct in that the cutting of Blackie's flank was definately in the book. I remember thinking how harsh, yet smart that was to get more life out of a horse that he intended to ride till it died anyway.

For those who have never read the book, I recommend it highly. And if you read it, you may think as I do that Kim Darby did an excellent job bringing Mattie Ross to life. She played her just as you picture her in the book.

And just to read the ending of the book (not like the ending in the movie) makes you see why they changed it in the screen play. More upbeat in the movie.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Keith

This is a real nitpick for you but the picture you used in post one of this topic of Duke in a white shirt is actually from the movie 'Rooster Coburn'.

For those who criticise Darby's performance by claiming that she is annoying. I would think that this is actually paying tribute to the actress as the character of Mattie is supposed to be a little grating.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Good point Robbie about Darby. I used to be kind of critical of Glen Campbell. He seemed insecure, wooden, even unsure of his lines. But the more I have watched the film, he was supposed to be insecure, wooden and unsure of himself. I too noticed that picture from page one is really from Rooster Cogburn. Its sad how old Duke looked in that film. He really aged between 1969 and 1975.

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• The Special Collector's Edition of "True Grit" was just released this week. I got a copy last night & immediately checked out the Special Features section. There were a few good features, but overall...I was kinda disappointed. After watching the features, I started watching the film with the commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell, & J. Stuart Rosebrook. I only watched it up to the Wharton trial courtroom scene, but it didn't seem like the commentators truly knew much about the movie itself. They seemed more interested in the discussing social issues in the 1960's than they did relating information & incidents regarding the movie. Several times, when they would mention some story or incident relating to the filming itself, they seemed unsure of their facts & would have to discuss it amongst themselves.....and I believe they were wrong on some of their points. Like I said, I only watched it up to the courtroom scene & I'm going to finish it later, but ya'll double check me on this & see what ya'll think.