The Quiet Man (1952)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 441 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Quiet Man (1952)

"Dooley: I have to say Maureen O'hara is so beautiful in those screen grabs."

Agreed and very intelligent also, strong willed, a perfect combination for her red hair and to play opposite duke in those pictures. She also went to Congress and got Duke a medal when he was dying.
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1]"I am happy, thrilled and delighted, and very proud to be here. In my lifetime I have been very privileged to have known and to have met, perhaps with my connections with the motion picture industry, many great and famous men all over the world, starting with my beloved father and then my husband, Charlie Blair, and John Wayne. I think they are perhaps the three greatest men I have ever been privileged to know.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] I have known John Wayne for 39 years, and in those 39 years I have called him my dearest friend, my best friend. I cannot tell you the kind of man he is.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] You have listened this morning to many eloquent speeches about Duke. But it is the man that you really don't know about. I can speak to you here as an immigrant to the United States, because I am. I can speak for the people of the world outside of the United States. And, since I am now an American citizen, I can speak for the people of the United States. I hope they will grant me permission to do that. I think they will.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] To the people of the world, John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor, John Wayne is the United States of America. He is what they believe it to be. He is what they hope it will be. And he is what they hope it will always be.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1] It is every person's dream that the United States will be like John Wayne and always like him."[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Found at users.qwest.net/~aknot/congress.htm[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1] You can't have a better friend then Maureen was to Duke.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
      [/SIZE][/FONT]
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

The post was edited 1 time, last by colkid60 ().

For musical theater lovers -- surely I am not the only musical theater AND John Wayne fan here. ;)

irishrep.org/donnybrook.html

The Irish Repertory Theatre continues its 25th Anniversary Season with a revival of the 1961 Broadway musical based on the movie "The Quiet Man"

DONNYBROOK!

Music and Lyrics by Johnny Burke
      Book by Robert E. McEnroe
      Directed by Charlotte Moore
      Choreography by Barry McNabb

Performances begin February 7
      Opens Sunday, February 17 at The Irish Repertory Theatre.

With James Barbour ("A Tale of Two Cities") as Irish-American prizefighter Sean Enright and Jenny Powers ("Little Women") as Mary Kate.

Irish Repertory Theatre continues its 25th Anniversary Season with DONNYBROOK! —a musical based on the movie "The Quiet Man," with music and lyrics by Johnny Burke and book by Robert E. McEnroe—with previews set to begin February 7, prior to its official Off-Broadway opening on Sunday, February 17 on the company's Francis J. Greenburger Mainstage Theatre (132 West 22nd Street). Charlotte Moore (2012 Callaway Award finalist for DANCING AT LUGHNASA) directs.

In DONNYBROOK!, Sean Enright, an Irish-American prizefighter who has killed a man in the ring and vowed never to raise a hand again to anyone, returns to Ireland from America. He meets and woos a tempestuous Irish village maiden, Mary Kate, who wants a man who will stand up and fight for her. However, Ellen's brother Will believes John to be a coward and gets in the way of their romance.

James Barbour, whose Broadway credits include A TALE OF TWO CITIES, ASSASSINS, JANE EYRE, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, and most recently Irish Repertory Theatre's OLIVER! in Concert, co-stars as Sean Enright.

The cast of DONNYBROOK! also includes Jenny Powers (GREASE, LITTLE WOMEN) as Mary Kate and Ted Koch (THE PILLOWMAN) as Will; with Samuel Cohen, Patrick Cummings (NEW GIRL IN TOWN), Terry Donnelly (THE SHAUGHRAUN), Kathy Fitzgerald (9 TO 5), Mary Mallen, Barbara Marineau (THE WOMEN), Kern McFadden, Kevin McGuire (LES MISERABLES), and David Sitler.

DONNYBROOK! features choreography by Barry McNabb. Musical Directio is by John Bell. The production has scenic design by James Noone; lighting design by Brian Nason; costume design by Linda Fisher; sound design by Zachary Williamson; and hair & wig design by Robert-Charles Vallance. Production Stage Manager is Pamela Brusoski. Assistant Stage Manager is Rebecca C. Monroe.

Johnny Burke is regarded as one of the finest lyricists of popular songs in America between the 1920s and 1950s. His songs include "Pennies From Heaven," "Imagination," "I've Got a Pocketful of Dreams," "Moonlight Becomes You," "Sunday, Monday, or Always," "It Could Happen to You," and the Academy Award-winning "Swinging on a Star" from the Bing Crosby film "Going My Way." He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.

Robert E. McEnroe's plays include the popular comedy THE SILVER WHISTLE, which ran more than 200 performances on Broadway in 1948, starring Jose Ferrer, and MULLIGAN'S SNUG. DONNYBROOK! opened on Broadway in 1961, directed and choreographed by Jack Cole.

Charlotte Moore's recent directing credits include IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: A LIVE RADIO PLAY, NEW GIRL IN TOWN, Brian Friel's DANCING AT LUGHNASA and MOLLY SWEENEY, A CHILD'S CHRISTMAS IN WALES, THE IRISH…AND HOW THEY GOT THAT WAY, and ERNEST IN LOVE. She has also directed The Irish Repertory Theatre's concert productions of OLIVER!, CAMELOT and BRIGADOON on Broadway. Ms. Moore was a finalist for the 2011-2012 Joseph A. Callaway Award for excellence in the craft of directing for her work on DANCING AT LUGHNASA.

Co-founded by Producing Director Ciarán O'Reilly and Artistic Director Charlotte Moore, The Irish Repertory Theatre opened its doors in September 1988 with Sean O'Casey's THE PLOUGH AND THE STARS. The mission of the theatre was and remains to bring works by Irish and Irish American masters and contemporary playwrights to American audiences; to provide a context for understanding the contemporary Irish American experience; and to encourage the development of new works focusing on the Irish and Irish American experience, as well as a range of other cultures. Ms. Moore and Mr. O'Reilly received the 2011 Eugene O'Neill Lifetime Achievement Award from Irish American Writers & Artists, Inc.

DONNYBROOK! runs at The Irish Repertory Theatre (132 West 22nd Street), February 7-March 31: Wednesdays at 3pm and 8pm; Thursdays at 7pm; Fridays at 8pm; Saturdays at 3pm and 8pm; and Sundays at 3pm. Opening Night is Sunday, February 17 at 7pm. Tickets are $55-65. For reservations, call the box office at 212-727-2737 or visit www.irishrep.org

Richard Brody writes about the new Quiet Man DVD and links it to Donovan's Reef in the Jan. 28, 2013 issue of The New Yorker. Brody also wrote a very nice capsule review of Wagon Master a little over a year ago when Wagon Master screened at the Museum of Modern Art. He must be quite the Ford fan. ;)

Have a notice today that my pre-order new "Quiet Man" blue ray is on its way.
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Robert Harris, film historian and preservationist, has had a look at the Olive blu-ray of The Quiet Man and finds it somewhat lacking, although a huge improvement over past DVDs.

hometheaterforum.com/t/327083/…-the-quiet-man-in-blu-ray
    • Paula;124748 wrote:

Robert Harris, film historian and preservationist, has had a look at the Olive blu-ray of The Quiet Man and finds it somewhat lacking, although a huge improvement over past DVDs.

hometheaterforum.com/t/327083/…-the-quiet-man-in-blu-ray

This is sort of disappointing if accurate. Hopefully, I'll not be disappointed.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

Well, I respect Robert Harris, but I viewed "The Quiet Man" today when it arrived, and to my untrained eyes, this is a remarkable improvement and one of the best Blues I've ever seen. It's on the same level of excellence as "Zulu" and "The Magnificent Seven".
      The landscape is almost as much of a star as Duke and Maureen. Details really pop and the clarity is astounding. Instead of a blurry, green-like filter, the reds, blues and yellows compete for color dominance. It was like seeing the film for the first time.
      To those of you who are still awaiting your copies, when they arrive take the day off from work, make some popcorn and feast your eyes.

We deal in lead, friend.

I don't know what Robert Harris would consider perfect, but to my eyes (with lens replacement surgery less than 6 months ago) this version looks glorious. Viewed on a calibrated 46" Sony 1080 HD TV, it is spectacular. Colors are realistic and brilliant without being oversaturated as they were in previous home video versions. Detail is stunning: The wrinkles and beads of sweat on the faces, and the tweed in the clothing are clearly visible.

One thing I realized after I watched the blu-ray: the horrible quality of the film before made it a chore to watch and interfered with my enjoyment of the film. Now my brain is not so busy trying to see through all the glaringly off-kilter colors and the smeary image, I enjoy The Quiet Man SO much more it's almost like watching a different movie!
      Wayne Davis
      John Wayne Birthplace
      johnwaynebirthplace.museum