The Quiet Man (1952)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 451 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Robbie,

Maybe you can enlighten us on something. It seems that your countrymen are not high on The Quiet Man. The question I have is Why are they not high on this movie? Is it due to John Wayne or John Ford? Maybe it's the story line that has stereotyped Ireland or is it something else?

I'm curious about this because I am not there and would like to understand or maybe it's the opinion of a few in your country?

Love to hear your comments.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Originally posted by arthurarnell@Jun 14 2005, 12:32 PM
      Hi Stumpy

How about Rooney that was a good film.

Regards

Arthur
      [snapback]17578[/snapback]

I've never seen it, Arthur. I'll have to see if I can locate it.
      De gustibus non est disputandum
    • Well, it's a few days later, but we finally got over to that web site and cast our vote as well. Although Darby O'Gill and the Little People was a close second :D .

Robbie, you have a very distinct style - I would have pegged you as Roger even if Hondo hadn't said something :rolleyes: .

I agree with you, Davros definitely has a problem.

Chester :newyear:
    • Originally posted by chester7777@Jun 14 2005, 11:16 PM
      Well, it's a few days later, but we finally got over to that web site and cast our vote as well.  Although [b]Darby O'Gill and the Little People was a close second :D .[/b]

Actually, I was just rattlin' his chain, Chet. "Quiet Man" is also my favorite, followed by "Darby".
      De gustibus non est disputandum
    • Darby is a good Disney movie. I haven't heard from Robbie, but what is the general attitude of your country's people of John Wayne?

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Hi all

I have been away for a couple of days so my apologies for my slow reponse.

Stumpy if you told me that movie was your favourite I would have to start a new topic asking for the removal of Stumpys membership. :D

Mike

That is a good question which you asked and the answer is not a nice as it should be. Obviously many of you will be aware that in NI there is a divide between Protestants and Catholics. The Quiet man would be regarded as a Catholic movie but there are many protestants in NI who love it. The problem many protestants would have is a genuine a significant amount of the money made from the sales of the movies went straight to the IRA which John Ford sympathised. I think this turned a lot of people off the movie and generally made them hate it.

There are of course SOME people who may have taken offence to the beer swilling Irishmen and that messageboard provided via the link would be very Politically correct so that is why there are some negative responses.

Mike everybody without exception whom I have ever spoken to know of John Wayne and about 75% of those people would greatly enjoy his movies so I don't think there is a problem with John Wayne in NI, I would even go so far as to say he may be the most popular actor among people in NI.

Chester I am interested to know what my familiar style is, I noticed on the board there were a few people called Roger so by calling myself Roger on this thread would have blended me in better.

I hope this post helps you all understand TQM from an NI perspective.
      :agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">