Operation Pacific (1951)

There are 69 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 143,402 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm sixty years of age, a die hard movie fan, and a lifelong Duke fan. I saw this for the first time today. I was drawn into the story despite the real war footage which didn't match the live footage, the fact that the ocean floor looked exactly like the bottom of a fish tank (I kept looking for the diver and treasure chest) and parts of the cliched script.
    Despite those handicaps, it's not a bad movie. You have to enjoy the relaxed relationship between Duke and Bond, some of the young actors (Bill Campbell, Paul Picerni) and that Jack Pennick fixed the torpedo problem.
    I found I could suspend modern film effects and just role with the plot.
    Average Duke is better than most any other highly touted actor at his best.

We deal in lead, friend.

• i bought this film today and as always, people who think they know best, said "oh i ve never heard of that one- won t be very good" (yawn yawn) - i now put it up with the best of my duke dvds. it had everything, exciting action, romance, humour, his friendship with ward bond, which shone through the whole film and .....of course....and i make no apologies for this, the sex appeal of john wayne is absolutely second to none. top film - and duke at his very best

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• i bought this film today and as always, people who think they know best, said "oh i ve never heard of that one- won t be very good" (yawn yawn) - i now put it up with the best of my duke dvds. it had everything, exciting action, romance, humour, his friendship with ward bond, which shone through the whole film and .....of course....and i make no apologies for this, the sex appeal of john wayne is absolutely second to none. top film - and duke at his very best

I just posted that I watched it again. Being a diehard Ward fan, it has been a favorite for a while! I always cry when he keeps saying "Take her down" after being riddled with bullets, but, as you say his presence remains throughout the movie. And GORCH, I am amazed you had never seen this before. But glad you liked it. I find that Patricia O Neal and Duke had quite a charismatic type relationship....no Maureen O'hara, for sure.....but they had their special way of creating something not only fun to watch, but touching also. If I am not wrong, Duke really enjoyed working with her. OH Ward......sure would have loved some movies with you and Duke as you both grew older....more like Rio Bravo. But, Wagon Train got in the way, and your early death prevented it. LOVE THIS MOVIE. And THANKS LARRY for the great shots of Ward. This time, He was Duke's boss, LOL!
    KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Reading about this got me to bring it out for a watching. I read how it was dedicated to the lost submariners....had forgotten that.

My Dad was born deaf, but my grandmother never let him be "deaf and dumb" as she taught him the very newest way of talking. Dad had lots of "friends", but only one true one....the type that you paint the town's water tower the school colors with late at night! His name was Bobby Brown. Dad couldn't go to war because he was deaf, so when he graduated from Clemson architectural school, he designed airplanes at Curtis Wright Airfield for the War. But Bobby went. He was in command of a submarine. He gathered up quite an array of ribbons. And then, one day, his sub was never heard from again. We always thought it might be found someday, and maybe we could piece together what happened in Bobby's last hours. But, it wasn't to be. All that is left of Dad's friend is a nice little state park in Elberton, GA.
    So......Bobby Brown will never be forgotten. Keith

• I always get more choked up watching WWII Navy films than any other, as my dad was in the Navy from '44-'46.

He drove a Higgins boat while stationed on the USS Jerauld (APA 174). He was in several campaigns, but Okinawa was the bloodiest. He spoke VERY little about the "ugly" side of his time in service, but I did glean from our many conversations, that he placed some of the first Marines on Okinawa (his ship transported troops, munitions, and vehicles) with his Higgens boat - under fire the entire time, and of course, took back dead and wounded as he left the island. He said he lost count how many trips he made, but in addition to dodging shells and machine gun fie, ALL the ships and their service boats were under constant threat of kamikaze attack.

Since the end of the Pacific war was near, this be ame the largest concentration of these type attacks during the war. Okinawa was the LAST stronghold the enemy held before we could touch the mainland of Japan.

BTW, Keith - I got your message. It's been a rough several days here, but I WILL be responding to you by the end of the week!!

• OK Russ.
    Very interesting that you know so much about your Dad's role. I think someone will be contacting you soon about it.
    Not sure if I posted this or not. But Mom did her bit in WWII. Here she is..,she is the one in the white! Keith Oh, also, Russ, I got a letter back from the conductor of the Navy Band. He is going to try to find a recording for me, and may even bring this into their repertoire. Have you even heard them play Anchor's Aweigh and Waves of the Navy at the same time with the chorus singing each song? It is absolutely beautiful, and for any old Navy folks tears are brought to the eyes. Mom taught my brother and I to do both songs on long car trips, and we were singing both together with her before we were 10 or so. Sure would love it if you have it in your collection. I will ask Bill also..........Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it! Keith

• Contains spoilers for any new people to this old movie.

OH THIS IS A GREAT ONE, LARRY. Ward, (Pop) was actually Duke's, (named Duke in the movie), commanding officer a good bit of this movie, which I am sure you know, until a strafing from a Japanese ship pretending injury ended his life. But not before he could issue commands to "take her down, TAKE HER DOWN"! Any closeups of Ward would be tremendously appreciated. You will assuredly be well mentioned in my book.....already are, of course. Also, any of members of the Ford Stock Company. The book is all about giving credit to the Undredited stuntmen and character actors who actually MADE our heroes. As Pop dictated to be written to the "builders of this boat" after the first depth charge run and the boat held up to keep them and their precious cargo of Nuns and children alive, "Thanks!" KEITH