Big Jake (1971)

There are 175 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 200,068 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have got to admit, this is one of my top ten favorite Duke movies. I just enjoy this one, despite the flaws; Some weak acting from a supporting actor or two, some bad editing (for example one of the outlaws disappears - did he get shot? did he run away? Who knows!) and of course the dog getting killed! But in the 70's he made two really good serious classics ("The Cowboys" and "The Shootist"), and this is one of those from that decade, I call the fun classics. (I like all of his westerns from that decade. The cop movies- not so much- I have to watch those again.) Out of the fun westerns, this is my favorite. Just a "sit back, relax, have a beer or two and watch the Duke and Co. kick some badguy butt movie!" You can't beat that.

• I talked to gregg palmer out at winterset. he stated he gets more flak for killing that dog than anything he's ever done. also said that when the dog attacked him in the courtyard scene it scared the you know what out of him.i found him to be a very courteous and accommodating man.:cowboy:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Talking of the dog was it a descendant of Lassie?

I know the dog in Hondo was Lassie dirtied up.

Also, Duke won Lassie in a poker game with's it owner but gave the dog back the next day as he felt guilty.

Mike

• I talked to gregg palmer out at winterset. he stated he gets more flak for killing that dog than anything he's ever done. also said that when the dog attacked him in the courtyard scene it scared the you know what out of him.i found him to be a very courteous and accommodating man.:cowboy:

Gregg was a great guy to talk to. We chatted for a few minutes at the VIP dinner and then asked to take a picture, he grabbed my wife and he said I prefer this shot with the pretty lady. I also got the Sunday Symposium and his jokes on video... that is his stories I should say.

I got a note from your friend today Bill... he's on the other site.

• This is the first JW western I can remember watching. Despite it not being one of his best performances, it is still one of my favorites. I recall having a crush on Patrick Wayne and loved him with the mustache. I would love to have a remastered version on DVD with the cut footage.

• I am hoping to purchase the DVD of Big Jake to replace my VHS copy

I enjoyed Richard Boone's performance in this movie, I also enjoyed seeing him in The Alamo and The Shootist

A decent actor

Very interesting, it was clear in the movie that neither John Goodfellow or the dog liked each other.

One aspect that did disappoint me regarding this movie was Dukes lack of recognition to the death of both dog and Sam Sharpnose.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• One aspect that did disappoint me regarding this movie was Dukes lack of recognition to the death of both dog and Sam Sharpnose.
    :agent:

I have to agree. Robbie. The ending just seemed to be thrown in for a finish. No regard or remorse was indicated. And like a lot of folks here, I feel there should have been a final scene with Maureen. Nonetheless I feel "Big Jake" is one of Duke's better efforts in his later years.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• I always thought that way also, Robbie. It would have made it better to have him at least comment or show sadness at the loss of a lifelong friend or man's best friend. The only flaw in a very enjoyable movie.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hey, Mark! That paperback is showing its age. When was the last time anyone saw a paperback selling for 75 cents. (I've got a lot of SF paperbacks from that era).

"Not hardly!!!"

• I always thought that way also, Robbie. It would have made it better to have him at least comment or show sadness at the loss of a lifelong friend or man's best friend. The only flaw in a very enjoyable movie.

Mark

I agree. I mean Sam Sharpnose was there to help and after what happened to him....do you mourn him or be happy to have your grandson back? Danged if you do and danged if you don't.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Hi dukefan1

Out of curiousity do all the books you have posted follow exactly what is in the film.

Mike

The books that were written from the screenplay follow the movie pretty close, with maybe a little more attention to detail. The books that were written befor the movies were made are different. They are close in some reguards, and way off in others. Depending on how the screenwriter adapts the book, I guess. Examples: The Sea Chase and True Grit, pretty close with a few different twists. Shepherd of the Hills and The Stars in Their Courses (El Dorado), way different than the movie, but great books non the less.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi all,
    I like this film very much. And I like Pat and Ethan in it, never thought about the replacements.
    When we watch this film last time with my friend, she asked me: Did Jake returned to the beautiful grandmother at last?
    At the end of the film they said: Lets go home...
    Regards,
    Senta

This is my favorite ending to any Duke film because it gives a "real" glimpse into the relationship between the man and his sons. The humor in asking if Dad's son is his grandson seems genuine and... the look of admiration on Patrick's face that is frozen at the end of the movie is... priceless. Many of John Wayne's later movies did not receive the critical aclaim they deserved. This was a great one, like many others!

• hello all.
    I have always wondered , what make and model of pocket knife was Jacob McCandles using when he stuck it into the tree and told Jim Davis character to cut down the sheep herder ?
    To me , it appears to be an automatic type pocket knife.
    I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks, Buck Loner