Big Jake (1971)

There are 175 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 200,451 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Interestingly this movie was shown on BBC recently and a college at worked watched it and enjoyed it immensely, however he claims to have seen the movie before and indicated that the version he watched had a home coming scene featuring Maureen O'Hara. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards
    Robbie

• Interestingly this movie was shown on BBC recently and a college at worked watched it and enjoyed it immensely, however he claims to have seen the movie before and indicated that the version he watched had a home coming scene featuring Maureen O'Hara. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Maybe he's thinking of the scene where Dukes gets of the train?

• Paramount Home Entertainment will release Big Jake and Rio Lobo on Blu-ray on May 31. Other westerns Paramount is releasing on Blu-ray that day are A Man Called Horse and Once Upon a Time in the West.

No additional information about Big Jake and Rio Lobo but hopefully we'll get specs and cover art soon. :)

• :wink_smile:

Shortly after becoming a grandmother, Maureen was contacted by John Wayne to play the role of his wife in this film. A small role, but it was Duke who asked! ...
    Filmed in Mexico, found in many of the film society actors Ford and the children of John Wayne. Some beautiful scenes Wayne-O'Hara were left in the editing room. The film was a moderate success, possibly because of excessive violence? ...

a short video

and the Original trailer (at my way)

Good reading!

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 3 times, last by Romy ().

• :wink_smile:

After the beautiful pictures of lasbugas, a few colors ...

........................ The pictures from the film .....................

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited 2 times, last by Romy ().

• I'm watching an episode of "Have Gun Will Travel" right now, and Paladin has taken up the cause of a range war between brothers...The DeVries brothers, and one is named Walt!!

Interesting how the name is used again in a movie with Rchard Boone 12 years later!!

Harry Julian Fink wrote the script for that episode, 'Hunt the Man Down,' as well as 'Big Jake.' No coincidence there, Tennesseean. Fink wrote 18 scripts for HGWT, assisted by someone named Rita M Fink. Whether wife or sister is unknown.

We're burning moonlight.

• There's a large amount of criticism on the IMDB boards about this film which is directed at Big Jake for not acknowledging the loss of his Native American friend and his loss of Dog.

One must wonder whether the resolution of these losses were left out in the editing process...I suspect as much.

We're burning moonlight.

• To quote the above it was strange how neither seemed to be mentioned but it could perhaps be put down to the relief of finally meeting/getting his grandson back. I thought this was a really great movie, up there with Duke's best. Unlike some others in the thread I thought Christopher Mitchum was really good as the inexperienced son trying to live up to his father's name and for me this was probably the best Pat Wayne has ever been. I enjoyed the support but must admit I went in expecting more interaction with O'Hara and Duke which is always entertaining. Overall it had some great scenes, beautiful location and a solid plot with another great supporting cast. Top movie for me.

• That's one theory that could be valid. OTOH, it's dark. After a battle it takes time to calculate losses. Time and light are required to see who is dead and who is still in the land of the living...this would include Jake's Indian friend and Dog.

We tend to take for granted the advantages we have here in the 21st Century and forget how limited things were in the late 19? early 20th? Century when light was provided by fires and lanterns. Without flashlights torches had to be used to discover the identities of the quick and the dead.

In my very humble opinion, everyone who is being critical of Jake has neglected to comprehend that he would have to search for his dead in the deepest dark... I've observed this frequently among people who haven't studied history. Or who don't think about what it was like before everyone had electricity, klieg lights and floodlights.

Perhaps the critics are unfamiliar with camping. It's dark out there at night, folks. Without those movie lights there's nothing to see at night in the wilderness. Nothing at all but the darkest black night.

What people are really saying is that they would notice the missing friend and the missing dog. Big Jake will learn that bad news soon enough. The sun always rises. Was Big Jake due that instant of happiness when he met his grandson for the first time? I believe he deserved it. So would his friend and so would Dog. They had died in the act of saving the boy. It made no difference to them when their deaths were discovered. Neither life will go unmourned.

We're burning moonlight.

• To be fair I wasn't cliaming their deaths weren't important but in the context of the movie and especially the amazing end scenes Duke's character though himself a sitting duck a number of times, to get the grandson back and his sons both alive were obviously the main things on his mind in the heat of the moment like that Big Jake had no time to reflect only to try and bring his family together.

• The only problem with that theory is that Jake saw both Dog and Sam's bodies.

Regards
    Robbie