Big Jake (1971)

There are 175 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 201,303 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Who knows, it may have been a Buck knife. :wink_smile:
    Probably only the folks in the prop department for the movie would know, and they are probably getting up there in years. Another thought that maybe Ethan or Patrick Wayne may have it in his own personal collection.

While we're here, we'd like to welcome you to the Original John Wayne Message Board, where fans come to have fun! And learn things about John Wayne, too!
    Chester :newyear:

• Thank you Chester, made me chuckle a bit.
    I appreciate your giving me that welcome to the board.
    Thanks to you as well EthanEdwards for your welcome. I do appreciate it.
    John Wayne is an Icon , a symbol of America that many around the world recognize as something more than an actor. He represents honesty and intergrity ,that there will always be men like him that stand up for the folks that are wronged. Like America , he could always be counted on to stand up to the cheaters and murderers that victimize those less able to defend themselves.
    There will never be another like John Wayne.
    Now , to find the folks that worked the props for Big Jake, where would you suggest I start. thanks again, Buck

• Watched Big Jake again last night, and noticed stuntman Chuck Hayward seemed to be everywhere! He was one of the cowboys in the corral as Boone's gang road up, one of the Texas Rangers, Jim Davis' henchman as they tried to hang the sheepman, doubled Richard Boone, etc. Also noticed Jim Burke doubling Duke in a long shot of Big Jake riding along the riverbed with his sons and Sam in tow. Never get tired of watching this film, one of his best from any era!

• This was a great movie with another excellent villainous turn from Richard Boone. The only thing I didn't like was the awful acting by Christopher Mitchum.

• This was a great movie with another excellent villainous turn from Richard Boone. The only thing I didn't like was the awful acting by Christopher Mitchum.

I also agree Chris was not much of a actor. I think Duke put him in a couple of films as a favor to is dad Bob Mitchum. But all in all I love this film.
    And I also thank God Duke had on some long johns in the shower scene. There is only so much of Duke I wanted to see.:fear:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I also agree Chris was not much of a actor. I think Duke put him in a couple of films as a favor to is dad Bob Mitchum. But all in all I love this film.
    And I also thank God Duke had on some long johns in the shower scene. There is only so much of Duke I wanted to see.:fear:

Yes he was a little past the full frontal stage at 63!

• Hey gang! With regard to the "missing" or deleted scenes in Big Jake, Michael Wayne was in charge of Batjac. He was NOT very well liked by most all accounts. He was loyal to his father's interests, sometimes at odds even with Duke.

He refused to release movies (a couple include High & the Mighty & Island in the Sky), for years despite HUGE public demand, as he was mecurial in nature, and was given to unreasonable and highly unrealistic demands at times. Not ALWAYS, mind you, but usually at the worst possible times for the company with regards to the fan base.

He was an incredibly shrewd & gifted business man, but had no problem whatsoever alienating anyone he perceived as an enemy - including family members. I know this looks like an hatchet job on Michael, but anyone who has read anything I've posted here or on IMDb knows of my devotion to JW, and my defense of his image and my disdain for anyone who attacks him. I've said all that to to say this: It would not surprise me at all to find out that Michael had refused to reissue any special editions unless some incredibly insane demands were met. I also would not be surprised if all the extra footage (if it does exist) was destroyed for whatever reason by Michael.

Also...Gretchen Wayne, his widow, took over for him as head of the family business, and from what I know of the situation, she is nearly as unyielding and unreasonable as he was. Ethan and Patrick, on the other hand, are both VERY fine people, and fair-minded regarding their father, his image and enterprise.

Wow..."them's more words I spoke since I knowed ya..."

• I would love to find some deleted scenes from John Wayne's movies and I find it strange that with the exception of "The Alamo," none has ever been uncovered.

Regards
    Robbie

• i watched a documentary about jw a couple of years ago and in it one of jw family found a video of the big trail(behind the scenes in colour)cant remember the documentry or much about it.does anyone out there knows anything about it.

• i watched a documentary about jw a couple of years ago and in it one of jw family found a video of the big trail(behind the scenes in colour)cant remember the documentry or much about it.does anyone out there knows anything about it.

Can't place it off hand, but take a look here,
    Duke's Documentaries- Discussion
    where ther one's that have been released are mentioned

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• keith i looked at the list and none of them come to mind,but i think i saw it on the bbc and i cant remember when

Ringo, I saw this one and I am sure this is where
    his children were talking, about it

2004 Hollywood Greats John Wayne (BBC Series presented by Jonathan Ross)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Big Jake is one of my favorite JW films. Even though he was getting up there, it was a great movie. Alot of great lines, and just a fun film to watch. Watching Duke smack around his kid after calling him Daddy and then whapping the other kid for scaring him after the motorcycle crash were priceless. It was just a great movie to watch. There is a movie poster of this film that will eventually go in my son's room, his name is Jacob, but we did not name him after this film. But since he looks like he is going to be over 6 feet according to the doc's, well Big Jake will probably be his nickname.

• I would love to find some deleted scenes from John Wayne's movies and I find it strange that with the exception of "The Alamo," none has ever been uncovered.

But in that case, the film had been release WITH the footage originally, then pulled back and cut, and sent back out. Big Jake had only one theatrical version as far as I know (of course there are some TV versions heavily edited). All-in-all, I love the film myself-

• Maureen O Hara in her book implied scenes had been shot but were edited to make the film less than two hours. It does seem to have a jumpy uneven edit that gives the impression feel that there were scenes cut from movie. Whether they still exist, could be found or could be restored to a theatrical movie is anybody's guess.