Flying Tigers (1942)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 72 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Flying Tigers (1942)

Now I watched this again, pretty good actually. I had forgotten the film starts before USA joined the WW2. Why was it so big a surprise that Japan attacked Pearl Harbour, be it voluntary air force, but in reality Americans were already fighting against the Japanese. Was it thought they wouldn't dare?
      I don't believe in surrenders.
    • Film Facts- Flying Tigers.

Hi folks, sorry I haven't been on for a while, I went on a well deserved holiday (vacation) and when I got back I had a fall as was unable to walk and with my computer being upstairs and me not able to get up them, I couldn't get any work done, but I am on the mend, so here is a film fact for the war film Flying Tigers, I hope you like it.

Producer: Edmund Grainger, Screenplay: Kenneth Gamet, Barry Trivers, Cinematographer: Jack Marta, Art Director: Russell Kimball, Editor: Jack Murray, Distribution: Ernest Nims, Location: New Mexico, Arizona, Date of production: 1942.

When his acting career petered out, Bill Shirley (who briefly plays ill-fated pilot Dale) parlayed a good singing voice into a career redubbing the crooning for Hollywood musicals. Not only does he provide the singing voice of the prince in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty, it’s his dulcet tones you can hear when “On the street Where you live” starts up in My Fair Lady.
      Howard Lydecker was never Oscar nominated again, but the special effects wiz continued to provide movies with painstakingly created visuals up until his death in 1969. His CV boasted such movies as Doctor Dolittle, The Flight of the Phoenix and Sink the Bismark!.
      The radio announcement of the attack on Pearl Harbour uses the actual recording of President Franklin D. Roosevelt saying the word: “Yesterday, December 7th 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval forces of Japan…”
      Apart from Flying Tigers, composer Victor Young was also nominated for three other films at the Academy Awards ceremony in 1943: Take a letter Darling, For Whom the Bells Tolls and Silver Queen. It was the third time he would be nominated for a total of four films in the same year. He holds the record for the most nominations ever received before winning the award – 21. He was finally given the statuette on his 22nd nomination, for Around the World in 80 Days at the 1957 ceremony, but never lived to pick it up, dying on 10th November 1956.

Clive,

Just recently, I was wondering where you were, so we are glad to see you back. We hope you had a great vacation, and we're sorry you hurt yourself. In short, Welcome back!!

Thanks for these interesting notes regarding those who were involved in the film Flying Tigers. Too bad Victor Young never lived to receive his Oscar, especially after having been nominated so many times.

Chester :newyear:

I have seen this movie a number of times since I was a yonker. I think I have seen this one probably about 15-20 times. I always did like this movie. For one, I thought it was well made through and through and enjoyed all the action in it.

I have a production still, of a picture depicting the Chinese Chief Mechanic, pointing out the bullet holes to Duke.

And maybe this is interesting to any who care but, back in Feb of 02, I met a Flying Tiger, and got a signed photo of him. This Flying Tiger, was David Lee "Tex" Hill, who had also commanded one of three, Flying Tiger squadrons. This photo has him with three other Tigers including Dick Rossi. The squadrons were given names.

Not necessarily in order, the squadron names were:

The Panda Bears & The Adams and Eves. I forgot the name of the other squadron.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

I was surprised by all the posters for this film (four altogether) -

Flying Tigers-poster.jpg Flying Tigers-poster B.jpg

These other two are 1948 and 1954 reissue posters respectively -
      Flying Tigers-1948 reissue poster.jpg Flying Tigers-1954 reissue poster.jpg

Nowhere as neat as the original posters, IMO.

OK, I've told similar stories before . . . tooling around on the Internet (today, specifically YouTube) and one click leads to another which leads to another.

Anyway, along the way, we learned that Jimmie "Why? Because we like you!" Dodd, of the Mickey Mouse Club, acted with John Wayne in Flying Tigers. Who knew? We discovered that because, while reading his bio on IMDb, there was mention that
      Early on played sidekick Lullaby Joslin in the popular 'Three Mesquiteers' film series.

So then we did a joint ventures search for him and John Wayne. It seems they were not in The Three Mesquiteers at the same time, but we discovered the the single joint venture was Flying Tigers.

Just thought you'd enjoy the nostalgia.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

A very interesting book on "Flying Tigers" of the reality was read.
      It is a book "Preemptive Strike". ーThe secret plan that would have prevented the attack on Pearl Harbor- by Alan Armstrong,

The fact of having approved the plan that President Roosevelt bombs to the major city from China to Japan by Flying Tigers before the attack of the Pearl Harbor is clarified according to it.

regards,
      Taka
      Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
      ~Steve McQueen~

The post was edited 1 time, last by H.sanada ().

That's very interesting, Taka. The thought that Roosevelt thought to "strike first" is something I had never heard before. I wonder how the American public would have felt if Roosevelt had taken that route when all I've heard was that the public at large wanted to stay out of the conflict. I may just have to look up the book.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "