Tycoon (1947)

There are 55 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 49,412 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• TYCOON

DIRECTED BY RICHARD WALLACE
    PRODUCED BY STEVEN AMES
    RKO RADIO PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Engineer Johnny Munroe is enlisted to build a railroad tunnel
    through a mountain to reach mines.
    His task is complicated, and his ethics are compromised,
    when he falls in love with his boss's daughter.
    Summary written by Jim Beaver

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... Johnny Munroe
    Laraine Day .... Maura Alexander Munroe
    Cedric Hardwicke .... Frederick Alexander (as Sir Cedric Hardwicke)
    Judith Anderson .... Miss Braithwaite
    James Gleason .... Pop Mathews
    Anthony Quinn .... Ricky Vegas
    Grant Withers .... Fog Harris
    Paul Fix .... Joe
    Fernando Alvarado .... Chico
    Harry Woods .... Holden
    Michael Harvey .... Curly Messenger
    Charles Trowbridge .... Señor Tobar
    Martin Garralaga .... Chávez
    Frank Mills .... Taxi Driver
    Jane Adrian .... Camp Girl (uncredited)
    Fred Aldrich .... (uncredited)
    Trevor Bardette .... Julio, House Guest (uncredited)
    Argentina Brunetti .... House Guest (uncredited)
    Ann Codee .... Señora Tobar (uncredited)
    Tom Coffey .... (uncredited)
    Joe Dominguez .... (uncredited)
    John Eberts .... (uncredited)
    Nacho Galindo .... López (uncredited)
    Frank Leyva .... (uncredited)
    Sam Lufkin .... (uncredited)
    Wayne McCoy .... (uncredited)
    Rudolph Medina .... (uncredited)
    Al Murphy .... (uncredited)
    Clarise Murphy .... (uncredited)
    Eduardo Noriega .... Hernández, Headwaiter (uncredited)
    Sheila Raven .... (uncredited)
    Diane Stewart .... (uncredited)
    Brick Sullivan .... Workman with Holden at Fiesta (uncredited)
    Lucio Villegas .... (uncredited)
    Blanca Vischer .... (uncredited)
    Max Wagner .... (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Borden Chase
    C.E. Scoggins novel
    John Twist

Original Music
    Leigh Harline

Cinematography
    W. Howard Greene (director of photography)
    Harry J. Wild

Trivia
    Produced for $3.209 million, this was RKO's biggest flop of 1947, losing $1.035 million.

This was the most expensive movie produced by RKO to date.

'Maureen O'Hara' was originally to play the female lead in this film.
    RKO producers, however, assigned her to make Sinbad the Sailor (1947) and cast Laraine Day instead.

Jan Sterling's movie debut.

Goofs
    * Revealing mistakes: As the work crew is putting the last bridge span in place,
    their shadows are clearly visible on the lower part of the sky in the background.

Memorable Quote

Filming Locations
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden - 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, California, USA
    Wake of the Red Witch, also filmed here

Watch this Clip

Tycoon

Previous Discussion:-
    Tycoon

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 11 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Tycoon is a 1947 American Technicolor romance film
    starring John Wayne based on the 1934 novel by C.E. Scoggins.

This is one of the worst films, Duke made,
    and is up there
    amongst the Top 5 turkeys!!
    It was dreadfully concieved, with equally bad, hammy over-acting
    from all concerned.
    Duke's character, changed from mild to complete nutter, without
    any explanation.

The sight of girls running around in evening gowns, on a construction site,
    made me cringe.

What gets me, is why and earth, should Sir Cedric want to sabotage,
    his own, financially, supported project!!
    He says to Duke, he cannot risk mens lives,
    and it tantamount to murder,
    yet that's exactly what he sets out to do,

How could Duke make a film like this, when he made Fort Apache
    just before it?
    Watching it, was more boring, than watching paint dry!!
    You've only got to read the Trivia, section, to see what the net result was!!!

Look out for Duke 'Pals'
    Grant Withers as Fog Harris
    and
    Paul Fix as Joe

Here's an interesting link, regarding the filming of this movie:-

Tycoon, John Wayne and a closed set

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi

Looking at the cast of Tycoon it had to be a worthwhile film John Wayne, Larraine Day, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Judith Anderson, James gleason, Grant Withers, Antony Quinn and Paul Fix.

It might not have been absolutely brilliant, it was certainly differant from his normal films but they all counted and all served to put one more notch on the road to Red River and The Searchers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• You seem to be out of sync with IMDb's user rating, which is 5.8/10. Personally, I would give it 6.5.

But . . . those differing opinions are what make the world go 'round and keep it from being a boring place! Vive la difference!

Chester :newyear:

• I agree Chester...Tycoon is FAR from being a terrible movie. This movie has many things going for it:

1) Excellent character actors - from Paul Fix, to Grant Withers, to Harry Woods...

2) Beautiful technicolor - your doing yourself a dis-service if the only way you've seen this movie is some washed out VHS copy. See a clear print on TCM one night...

3) A good story-line - the plot moves along...the father in-law doing anything to get his daughter away from Johnny, the great chemestry between Marua and Johnny, the breakup of a close knit of friends, and then them coming back together again...

In my opinion, this movie rates at least a 8/10. Guess it's just like 'Jet Pilot'...I love that film (and this one), while most don't.

• I watched this movie for the second time ever today. I thought it was a pretty good film, overall. Of course, it is always fun to see many of the regulars (Paul Fix, Grant Withers, Harry Woods) in his movies. I don't think it is available yet on DVD, but I would certainly buy it when it is on the market.

Everyone has their own taste - I prefer Duke's movies from the 40's and early 50's over most of the others.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• I taped this film from the BBC a few weeks ago and tried to watch it that same day but at the time could not get into it.Saturdaymorning before going to work I watched it and found it quite enjoyable.Not the best but certainly not the worst.I liked most of the actors,the story was not too bad and the chemistry between Duke and Larraine was okay.

• This is one film I have always enjoyed watching....would be nice to have in DVD. It's a different role for John Wayne, and has the action and drive to keep the film going.

• Duke himself thought that Tycoon was awful, but I can't agree. There's nothing wrong with it; there's excitement, romance, humour and happy ending, and good actors.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Not a bad flick, I thought it was good, maybe a little long. But I agree with the last few posts, that it's not that terrible is it? Some good special effects, though they were obviously using a model railroad and river when they had the big scene at the end!

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• I thought I saw this movie but couldn't remember so I watched it last night on DVD. I liked it pretty good. It had a good story and the acting was alright. It was not a top 10 movie or even a top 20. But it had action and adventure, romance, some comedy, and pure guts. This movie reminds me how the human spirit is when attacked by evil or greed. You are constantly being attacked by all angles and you stay sane?

This movie will not be in my top 25 list, but it was not a bad movie. We look for Duke in westerns, or war movies, but this one shows him in construction. Laraine Day was a beautiful woman, and played her part well. Anthony Quinn was good in his part, but I'd like to see him in another role. It was good to see Paul Fix again.

I did like this movie, and will watch it again someday.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote