Red River (1948)

There are 146 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 226,238 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Another film that was shot near me. A lot of scenes were shot at Fairbank, AZ, a couple miles away from my place.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

• An interesting article here concerning Duke’s relationship with Howard Hawks.

Wayne had just turned 40 when he made ‘Red River,’ and was still a tad too spry for Howard Hawks' liking. So he asked the Duke's costar, a 13-years-older Walter Brennan, to give him a tutorial in old-man behavior. This didn't go over well. According to Maurice Zolotow's ‘John Wayne, Shooting Star,’ Wayne said: ‘Brennan showed me his idea of an old man walkin' and talkin'. His idea was kinda shufflin' and totterin'. And mumblin' I was supposed to be tough and hard and walk like that? Hell, I was thinkin' about those old cattle guys I knew when I was a kid around Lancaster and there wasn't one of them who didn't stand tall. I played Tom Dunson my own way, standin' tall.’

John Wayne And Howard Hawks Didn't See Eye To Eye Over How To Approach His Red River Role - /Film
    John Wayne refused to look anything but tough? Shocking.
    www.slashfilm.com

• An interesting article here concerning Duke’s relationship with Howard Hawks.

Wayne had just turned 40 when he made ‘Red River,’ and was still a tad too spry for Howard Hawks' liking. So he asked the Duke's costar, a 13-years-older Walter Brennan, to give him a tutorial in old-man behavior. This didn't go over well. According to Maurice Zolotow's ‘John Wayne, Shooting Star,’ Wayne said: ‘Brennan showed me his idea of an old man walkin' and talkin'. His idea was kinda shufflin' and totterin'. And mumblin' I was supposed to be tough and hard and walk like that? Hell, I was thinkin' about those old cattle guys I knew when I was a kid around Lancaster and there wasn't one of them who didn't stand tall. I played Tom Dunson my own way, standin' tall.’

https://www.slashfilm.com/1151…roach-his-red-river-role/

He was actually 39 when the film was made in 1946.