Red River (1948)

There are 146 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 227,660 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• These acts that Bill and Mark suggested were certainly wrong of Dunson but the act I was thinking of with which I most disagreed was Dunson, at the very end of the film. making Matthew a partner in the ranch instead of Groot. After all, he and Groot had been together a long time, considerably longer than the relationship with Matthew. They'd headed west in the wagon train together, fought Indians together, and were apparently close friends. You'd think that he would have wanted to reward old Nadine with the partnership instead of this young pup Garth.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• That's a great point, Stumpy. I never even thought about that. Groot did deserve a partnership. I guess I was like Bill in taking for granted that Groot was already a partner.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi

I suppose there is another point consider. Certainly Groot had been with Dunson from the start, but I think even at the beginning it was on a employer worker relationship although a friendly one.

If you accept that at the beginning Groot called Dunson Tom, by the middle of the picture and whenever he wanted to put a point that Dunsen was wrong he was calling him Mister.

But also I think that if both men even if they started out as comparatively young men with Groot possibly the older of the two. It had taken a number of years to build up the Red River D, both men would have got old together, perhaps Dunsen was looking to the future and put it young hands.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Stumpy, I think most of the things Dunson did, while harsh, were what was needed to get the job done. But if I had to pick one thing he did that I disagreed on, it was when he told Tess he would stop his revenge on Matt if Tess would marry him and bear him children. He knew Tess loved Matt. No man should ever force his intentions or love on a woman who doesn't want it. Or take another man's woman.

Mark

well i m going to defend jw here, mostly because i love him but also cos i don t think he did much wrong. when he said the above, he thought matt had betrated him and matt was like a son to him so he must have been very hurt to have said what he said. also, at the end of the film he told matt he had better marry tess so he seems like he had no intention of making tess have his son, he was just acting out of anger

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• In this Film "Red River" Duke as Dunson is a Driven Man Just like He was in "The Searchers" then at the End Of The Films Duke Shows His Solf Side.
    But I think that is what we Love about John Wayne, Tough and a Tender Man Inside !
    :devil::heart:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• What a Great Movie!
    Good story with well written characters and dialogues. Borden Chase should have got the Academy Award for it.
    Brilliant actors/actresses. Duke's Performance as Dunsion is priceless. Maybe this Movie made me a fan of John Wayne the actor. One of his best performances and at least he should have got a nomination for the Academy Award for it. It's a pity that he and Montgomery Clift didn't made more movies together.
    Astonishing photography which make some people think this could have been a John Ford Movie.
    Not to forget Howard Hawks. Simply unbelieveable that Red River is the first Western he directed.
    IMO one of the best Westerns ever and probably the best movie about a cattle drive.
    My rating 10/10 ! :teeth_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)