Red River (1948)

There are 146 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 228,036 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello DukePilgrim,

Did you mean that Rooster wasn't long for this world? In the book, Mattie lived to be an old spinster. She tried to keep up with Rooster's exploits through the years and when she finally heard he would be near as part of Wild West Show with Cole Younger and Frank James, she went to see him. She was told he died a few towns back, so she had him interred and brought back to her farm and burried in the plot with her family.:cry2:

I liked the movie ending better :teeth_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Yes dukefan1 it was the other way round.

The ending of True Grit was much better than the book. It was the ideal role for John Wayne at that time in his life. Wasnt there some thought of George C Scott playing Rooster before the role was offered to Duke?

Mike

• From what I've read, John Wayne wanted the movie rights to the book but was out-bid by Hal Wallace. He was upset about not getting it for he felt he was meant for the role. Wouldn't you know it, so did Wallace. Hal bought the rights knowing he wanted Duke to play the roll. So it worked out just fine.

Mark

• This is The Searchers you are referring to.:wink_smile:

Mike

Ya know something? I just now caught on to what you were refering to, DukePilgrim. I totally took this "Red River " thread over by mistaking the movie (thinking of The Searchers) and went off topic into True Grit. :hyper:

I am sorry, ethanedwards, for muddying up the post and not talking about Red River. Allow me to rectify that. In the book Red River, Tom Dunston does die also. But they changed the ending in the movie to make it a Hollywood happy ending. :teeth_smile:

I thought like Parrish did, that the change in Tom was too drastic to be believable. But it still is a great movie regardless.

And yes, Parrish, alot of his movies are from books and short stories. If you go through the "A Definite List Of Jw Books" thread that is stickied (Here's the link http://www.dukewayne.com/thread466-22.html ), you will see quite a few of them. I love collecting and reading these books just to see how they varried from the movie. Some stay relatively the same and others are way different.

Mark

• I took the pups for a stroll over the weekend to Little Boquillas Ranch. It's on the San Pedro River, near Fairbank, Contention City and Tombstone, AZ. A fair amount of "Red River" was filmed there. I'll tell ya, not a lot has changed, except the size of the trees. Well, that, and, sorry to disappoint, it's in color.

Living here is great, I get to visit such places often. If anyone wants pics or info, whatever, of such things in my area, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

• Another of my Duke favourites, he should have won an oscar for his performance

On the other hand I thought Montgomery Clift was very weak, I found it irratating him keep touching his nose all the time

• very powerful storey with first time viewers wondering what comes next up to the end.

Mr Wayne could sure do a mean mean

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Thanks for posting. How many pages does the pressbook have?

Hi DukePilgrim
    I have not this pressbook.
    However, because the cover photograph had been found by the Internet,
    and it is so wonderfull, i introduced it to you.
    Please teach details of pressbook for Red River if there is a person who has this book.

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Thank you posting it.
    It was surprised that a Japanese movie pamphlet was exhibited in the auction of Britain.
    Who on earth will buy it?

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Stumpy had an interesting question, which he posed in the "What Was the Last Western You Watched?" thread, but I thought I'd bring it here, to the dedicated thread, to promote the conversation -

It's been such a long time since I've watched it, I think I'd rather answer after a more recent viewing.

But I hope others will chime in with their thoughts.

Chester :newyear:

• Stumpy, I think most of the things Dunson did, while harsh, were what was needed to get the job done. But if I had to pick one thing he did that I disagreed on, it was when he told Tess he would stop his revenge on Matt if Tess would marry him and bear him children. He knew Tess loved Matt. No man should ever force his intentions or love on a woman who doesn't want it. Or take another man's woman.

Mark