The Train Robbers (1973)

There are 167 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 152,864 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ann-Margaret hair-do would not have survived in the old West. The film was 92 minutes long and 20 minutes or more were scenes of riding across the range. They were good looking shots, though. I liked Dominic Frontiere's score although it was a bit repetitive.

A mediocre Movie and one of them I wished John Wayne hadn't done.:wink:

I am glad he made it because it's one of his most enjoyable films. And one of my favorites

I liked Dominic Frontiere's score although it was a bit repetitive.

I personally thought it was great and wish it was on CD.

• I am glad he made it because it's one of his most enjoyable films. And one of my favorites

I personally thought it was great and wish it was on CD.

It's just my opinion but yes the Music was quite good.
    For me Brannigan is a much more enjoyable movie. :teeth_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• a good movie but rod taylor was as good as john wayne.taylor was a very underratted actor.i 6/10

Hi ringo kid

WELCOME to The Original JWMB.

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Thanks for your post, but to compare Rod Taylor,
    to Duke, is not even worth considering.
    Rod Taylor in my opinion is a good actor,
    but no where in the same league as Duke!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• i agree with you nobody could touch duke in a film.hes in a different
    league with any actor living or dead.
    sincerely
    steven dwyer

• This is a curious film. It has a lot of the normal Duke film trappings, but also tries for more-not quite succeeding. It's a fun ride tho, and it's a pity Rod Taylor didn't have a chance to do more films with John Wayne (and/or Ben Johnson) they all had good chemistry. I too would watch this more than, say, Rooster Cogburn. it's a good time killer. I just feel it's missing one undefinable element that could have made it REALLY good.

• Did anyone else pick up that Ann-Margaret's and Duke's characters are named Mrs. Lowe and Lane - the same last names from "Hondo"? That can't be an accident.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Not a bad film worth watching with a great twist in the end. The chemistery between the actors was brilliant..:thumbs_up: I love JWs 'my way or the highway' attitude ..I see the Duke had a MAJIC horse who could change the stripe on his face to a blaze , then back again at the start when they all set off..kind of like the majic paint horse in Hildalgo who could change his coat pattern:))):

• This is a curious film. It has a lot of the normal Duke film trappings, but also tries for more-not quite succeeding. It's a fun ride tho, and it's a pity Rod Taylor didn't have a chance to do more films with John Wayne (and/or Ben Johnson) they all had good chemistry. I too would watch this more than, say, Rooster Cogburn. it's a good time killer. I just feel it's missing one undefinable element that could have made it REALLY good.

That element is that there is no face or identity to the bad guys.Hard to dislike if you do not know who they are. That and the fact there nust have been 50 of them.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Well we KNOW who they are-more thieves out for the gold. I agree that it needed villain/leader, but I don't feel it was mandatory.

• i once read when burt kennedy was directing the train robbers,he wanted jack elam for the part of grady(rod taylor part)but john wayne didnt want him because when they made rio lobo together,any parts elam had with john wayne he stole the show.how much of that is true i dont know.

• i once read when burt kennedy was directing the train robbers,he wanted jack elam for the part of grady(rod taylor part)but john wayne didnt want him because when they made rio lobo together,any parts elam had with john wayne he stole the show.how much of that is true i dont know.

I do not know if thats true or not. I do know he had Stother Martin in several of his films and Stother stole every scene in any film he ever made.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• That was a curious thing to me. I read somewhere that Duke had problems with dogs and kids in films being scene stealers. As a result dogs didn't seem to have much longetivity in his films, and he didn't often work with children (except for his own, tho he did work with other children from time to time). Elam probably would have been a BIG thief in TRs. Taylor was grand in the part, but it always IMHO, seemed too small a part for him. As for Strother, you're dead-on. Maybe Duke really liked him.

• The Jack Elam issue is in one of the more recent bios, but John Wayne had no problem with children, I remember a quote that went something like this, "A good story involves a dog, a child and a woman's love" that's what he looked for in his movies, of course if I'm remembering correctly this was a 50's quote.

EDIT: I found the quote, I was close but it actually goes "I always look for a story with basic emotions: a dog, a kid, a woman's love, a man's love"

and there is no date attached to it.