The Train Robbers (1973)

There are 167 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 154,018 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I really enjoyed this movie. Yes, it has a basic premise. but I think sometimes its more a character study than anything. And while we end up seeing the softer side of John Wayne here, it;s hard to deny the charms of Ann Margret. As always the cinematography is beautiful and the film as a whole is just a good time.

• I'm glad they didn't make a relationship between Duke and Ann Margaret in this film. He was too old for her. I loved the line they used to express that difference.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Paula, thanks for posting this picture. For those of us familiar with these two legends, it was treat to see the easiness the two had with each other.

• I enjoy this film though while nowhere near his best, it ranks high up there with his most entertaining. I watched this last night and one scene in particular caught my attention and held a lot of meaning for me, the one where he's talking to Ben...

(Paraphrased obviously)

and for how it actually played out

• Just the tone of the conversation between the two characters shows the acting depth of John Wayne and Ben Johnson. No flowery speeches, exaggerated arm or hand gestures or special lighting. Just two actors playing a scene with simplicity and honesty. Watch "The Last Picture Show" and enjoy Ben Johnson portraying the same simplicity and honesty in his Oscar winning role. And watch John Wayne's face in any of his movies (well, except "The Conqueror.") With just the slighest movement in his face or a slight glance, maybe a shift of his body conveys so much in his reponse or reaction by his character. Underrated is an understatement.

(Don't know what I did, but I was trying to reply to Comment #156 by "Lt. Brannigan." Sorry for the screw up! :huh: