Allegheny Uprising (1939)

There are 103 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 132,315 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A good movie and it is available on DVD in Italy. Try this and search for John Wayne in "attore"

DVDitaly

For anyone concered about audio I have never seen a commercial DVD where the original sound has been removed. This one has the English audio along with the Italian.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• Hi all,
    thanks Carl, watched this movie for the very first time. And immidiatly like it. Unfortunatly most of my knolege of American history came from novels and movies. Shame on me :headbonk:

This movie remainded me period of history depicted in Fenimore Cooper novels.

Of course Duke is very proper man for this part. But Claire Trevor in it absolutly charming!

Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Hi Mike

I haven't heard if there are plans to release it over here. If they do I hope they show the full version. the VHS one I have misses the first few minutes of the original film.

regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Here's an odd note concerning a film with the Duke about the beginning of the Revolutionary War that was never made. According to Peter Bogdonovich's interview with John Ford, he wanted to make a film of Howard Fast's "April Morning" with the Duke to play the first of the minutemen killed on Lexington Green as his son stands alongside him, who later fights the British at Concord. But Duke didn't care to wear knee britches or a ribbon-tied wig (he thought they were sissy-looking) and Ford died soon afterward.

The novel was later filmed with Tommy Lee Jones & a young Rob Lowe for TV.

• Is there any word of this title being released in Region 1 or as UK Region 2
    release?

Mike

I'm sure you know this but it is coming out in a group set and individually... both on DVD.

The John Wayne Film Collection (Without Reservations / Allegheny Uprising / Tycoon / Reunion in France / Big Jim McCain / Trouble Along the Way)

• I thought this one was pretty good. A different type of role for the duke. Sure he almost plays a cowboy, but not quite. It seems very similar feel to The Patriot starring Mel Gibson. Of course since the patriot came out ten years ago, it is a lot more brutal in it's portrayal of the british. But I really enjoyed this one, I could feel the frustration of the people as they tried to fight back against the British, but didn't get anywhere.

Definitely a movie every fan should see!

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• Here's an odd note concerning a film with the Duke about the beginning of the Revolutionary War that was never made. According to Peter Bogdonovich's interview with John Ford, he wanted to make a film of Howard Fast's "April Morning" with the Duke to play the first of the minutemen killed on Lexington Green as his son stands alongside him, who later fights the British at Concord. But Duke didn't care to wear knee britches or a ribbon-tied wig (he thought they were sissy-looking) and Ford died soon afterward.

The novel was later filmed with Tommy Lee Jones & a young Rob Lowe for TV.

Sounds interesting dukefan. Which Bogdonovitch book is that?

Mike

• Watched Allegheny Uprising. Pleasantly surprised at what a good movie it is with John Wayne giving a great mature performance. Good support from Claire Trevor and George Sanders

Mike

• Watched Allegheny Uprising. Pleasantly surprised at what a good movie it is with John Wayne giving a great mature performance. Good support from Claire Trevor and George Sanders

Mike

I agree, I have to admit though that I had been avoiding this movie because I had heard it was dull. And in reality it's an enjoyable fast paced film. I highly recommend this one.

• Hi

it is an interesting film and set pre revoluntionary when like The Last of the Mohicans both the colonists and the British were not only on the same side but for a large part mainly British. it was probably good for the world that the revolution took place it was just a shame that it was caused by our stupid poiticians and a mad king.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I have to say I didn't like this movie very much. It was OK as best, The Duke was the best thing about the movie. Had there been someone else in his place I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]