McLintock! (1963)

There are 136 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 173,142 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• You are correct, Duke slaps him on the butt when he says the bulls name....it's the opening scene as he comes out of the house to get into the carriage.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• unprepossessing - Not overtly impressive; unremarkable; nondescript

Just in case anybody was wondering . . .

We pulled McLintock! off the shelf this evening, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the wonderful quality of the Batjac-sanctioned release of this film on DVD. WHAT a difference! Our son inadvertently pulled the Good Times version out of a boxed set (which has a couple of documentaries worth keeping), and about 30 seconds into the movie, he said, "This is AWFUL!" We got the 'authorized' version in the player, and settled down to a pleasant time.

Chester :newyear:

• I hear your on that Goodtimes version. As soon as the authorized version of the movie was announced I threw my bad copy away. Mine didn't have any documentaries so it was not a big deal.

On a side note, has anyone watched the movie with the commentaries turned on? I did and Maureen O'Hara and Stephanie Powers gave their insight from time to time. It was very intersting to watch.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I have not seen it mentioned here anywhere I have looked but, a good friend of mine from England-who is a big big fan of Duke, told me yesterday that he picked up a copy of McLintock on DvD, which had been released by Batjac. Jason (my good friend) said this release has something like 2 or so hours of extras included. He hasn't watched it as of yesterday but, said he thinks that maybe Batjac had it restored?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has heard of Batjac releasing their copy of McLintock? I have not bought a copy of the movie yet because I don't want a lousy-public domain version of this movie.

Anyway, im interested in hearing anything you all know about this release. :wink_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Holy Hell, Ringo, where have you been? It was released on DVD back in October of 2005. There was a discussion on it in the Mclintock movie review thread as where as elsewhere on the site, I'm sure. At any rate it's a great, full restored and remastered DVD in widescreen with perfect, crystal clear picture quality, and a whole bunch of extras. A must for any Duke fan's collection.

Cover shot (make sure you buy the DVD that looks like this one, the others are the cheap, public domain knockoffs):

You can buy it online here:

http://www.amazon.com/McLintoc…dvd&qid=1254004703&sr=8-4

http://www.deepdiscount.com/vi…uct.htm?productId=5781903

http://www.moviesunlimited.com….asp?sku=D63482&loc=title

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi Bob

I haven't seen the deAgostini copy version of McLintock. Generally their prints tend to be good but I would suspect it is not a remastered version as Batjac made such an effort to enhance their negatives and remove blemishes, color fade and scratches etc.

Play.com are selling enhanced edition for £3.99 at present and it does have a lot of extras.

Mike

http://www.play.com/Search.asp…pa=search&go.x=31&go.y=12

• Hi ya all, thanks for the info and such but, i don't ever recall hearing that it had been released? Glad to know it was and also by Dukes Family. I will be ordering one sometime in Oct, as soon as I financially recover some from all the med bills this month-as well as new militaria purchases ;-))

Gotta run, we have a MAJOR Thunderstorm brewing up and lightning is starting to strike close by.

Cheers--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks Mike. They are better than Amazon, who charge postage. Worth it just for the extras.

Bob

• For those who have the Encore Westerns channel on their cable/satellite line-up, you might be interested to know that McLintock! has been chosen as their movie of the month for December!

Does anybody know - do they use the 'authorized' version, which is of significantly better quality, when televising this film? We don't have any kind of cable, so obviously can't answer that question.

Chester :newyear:

• I caught it the other night and the print looked great. Hopefully it was the authorized version since WC seems to always be promoting Duke, the Cancer Research Center, and his family.