The Cowboys (1972)

There are 274 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 190,781 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm sure everyone is familiar with this phrase, used by Duke's character Wil Anderson in The Cowboys.

Following this conversation

I have heard we're burning daylight recently in everything from current movies to tv soap operas and everything in between. Was it the Duke that made this phrase famous? I know it was used in Hollywood before.

"We're burning daylight" was Wil Anderson's catch phrase in The Cowboys. It may have been used somewhere else to cause it to be so popular but I always think of JW when I hear it.

I am most familiar with the phrase, having heard it in The Cowboys. Interestingly enough, in the movie Secondhand Lions (2003), the phrase is used once by Walter's mother, though the story appears to take place in the early sixties and of course, The Cowboys wasn't until 1972. The Irish Duke said he thinks the phrase was used by Hollywood earlier, it would be interesting to know more about the history of it.

from another thread, I went to IMDB to see if I could learn more about the history of the quote. I was quite surprised to discover that there were only three references to films or TV shows that included the quote, and not one was The Cowboys (the oldest was 2001!)! When I shortened the phrases to "burning daylight", there were four results (again, The Cowboys was not among them).

Put the phrase "We're burnin' daylight" into the IMDB search and filter by "Quotes" and the only reference that comes up is The Cowboys. Go figure . . . .

Putting "We're burning daylight" into a Google search led me to a couple of interesting sites - this one, that gives a much larger result (34, still doesn't include The Cowboys but does include Secondhand Lions) and this one, which gives a brief explanation of the original use of the phrase.

Again, use the phrase "We're burnin' daylight", and The Cowboys is the ONLY result. What a difference that little 'g' makes!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Any discussion threads that have information for filming locations for "The Cowboys"? Would love to eventually visit some of the spectacular vistas used as backdrop settings for the film.....

• Any discussion threads that have information for filming locations for "The Cowboys"? Would love to eventually visit some of the spectacular vistas used as backdrop settings for the film.....

Yes we do

HERE-
    Duke's Movie Locations

From the top of the thread you will note;-

Filming Locations
    Bonanza Creek Ranch - 15 Bonanza Creek Lane, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
    Buckskin Joe Frontier Town & Railway - 1193 Fremont County Road 3A, Canon City, Colorado, USA
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Chama, New Mexico, USA
    Eaves Movie Ranch - 105 Rancho Alegre Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
    Galisteo, New Mexico, USA
    Laramie Street, Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado, USA
    San Cristobal Ranch - 90 San Cristobal Ranch Road, Lamy, New Mexico, USA
    Stages 12,18 & 19 Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California

Many of the specific locations mentioned above
    have their own dedicated threads
    e.g.

Duke's Movie Locations- Eaves/ Bonanza Creek Movie Ranches- New Mexico

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• gosh - how'd I miss that? Much thanks - wish there was more exact info - guess I have some research to do....

• There are some great lines in this movie, as well as those mentioned, I always liked the following three:

"I pay a full day's wages, I expect a full day's work".

"You look like the vermin ridden SOB you are".

"I don't hold jail against you, but I hate a liar".

Regards
    Robbie