The Long Voyage Home (1940)

There are 46 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 47,547 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I liked this movie! This was a different role for the Duke, playing a simple minded man, but he did well with it. Did well with the accent too.

• I think this is a great film, but not a great John Wayne film which is why a few of our members didn't really enjoy it as it didn't meet their expectations. It was strange giving Duke top bill as in reality his part was quite small, I felt he was overshadowed by Ian Hunter, John Qualen and the always excellent Thomas Mitchell. It was a really good picture but it was very slow to start with barely anything happened in the first half hour but by the end of the film I was on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen to Duke. This picture is another example of John Ford's talent at creating real people in his movies true to the era and there lies the sadness/triumph as i'm sure many Ole's and Driscolls existed during this time period. Have to credit Ward Bond aswell, that death scene might be the best pure acting iv'e ever seen from the guy.

• I liked this movie! This was a different role for the Duke, playing a simple minded man, but he did well with it. Did well with the accent too.

Well, I agree that Duke did OK with his role and OK with his accent. However, Ward was great in the early part of the movie....and his death scene was pretty well done. I also agree with others that Duke should not have received top billing as he most certainly was NOT the star, LOL. Oh, he was later on........just not in this one. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• In many places, Irish, you will see this scene compared to the one where he congratulates and surrenders his belt to Corbett in Gentlemen Jim. Both are pretty powerful performances. Of course, there are a great many more, Ward being the accomplished actor he was, but those two tend to stand out according to many. KEITH Oh, see the "sweater" on Ward's chest........his back was like that also unless they had shaved it for a picture. Long before Wagon Train, the chest and back hairs had turned completely white.
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/The%20Long%20Voyage%20Home/Yankdyingandblowingsmokering.jpg.html]

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE