Jet Pilot (1957)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 100 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Jet Pilot (1957)

ethanedwards wrote:

Hi,

How Duke, could make Sands of Iwo Jima and Rio Grande
      and manage to make this utter tosh, in-between, is beyond belief!!!
      One of his Top 5 worse films!
      He should have walked away, from this one, but perhaps it was the money!
      Fortunately, for us all, Howard Hughes hid it from us, for a few years,
      to save us from the torture!!!
      Duke was at his worst hammy, and making silly facial expressions!!
      Another film, adding ammunition, to the critics of his acting.
      One quote I read said that the chemistry, between Duke and Janet was great,
      I'm sorry, but I can't see that, it wasn't bad, but chemistry it wasn't.
      The whole plot was prepostrous and uncredible,and with all those whooshing
      sounds evertytime we saw, Janet's bosom, all went, to prove how obsessed, and sad,
      Hughes was!!!
      It was the Directors, only film, and from this result, one can see why!!
      By the time the film was released,the cold war was obsolete, the planes were obsolete,and the whole film, was obsolete!!
      Its reviews were devastating, critics were embarrassed,
      of how outrageous and silly it all was, and the audiences agreed.

Rating 3/10 for the silliness!

I haven't changed my mind!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

chester7777 wrote:

Despite the mixed reviews of this movie, it is available on DVD from Amazon, if you want to spend a bundle of money - starting at $52.95 :o !

IT is a little more affordable in VHS format, at less than $20 (that would include shipping).

This is another one that I think might be available within a year or two, at a reasonable price, on DVD.

Interestingly enough, it is on eBay on DVD, so far quite inexpensive (but with 5 days to go).

Chester :newyear:

Wow! What a difference a year makes. Now you can get 5 JW movies (including Jet Pilot) on DVD for around $20! The VHS has dropped down to around $6 at Amazon, the film by itself on DVD is available "used and new" at Amazon for over $20, and only available at Deep Discount in the American Icon Collection (they do have movie posters, too).

The first poster here is very similar to the one in Keith's introductory post; the second one is a 1979 reissue.
      Files
    • Jet Pilot (1957)

In 1957 shortly after They had Released "The Wings of Eagles" RKO Released another John Wayne Aviation Film "Jet Pilot" that had Janet Leigh as the Russian Lady Pilot.
      :heart:
      It is true the Story was Not Much, But the Flying Sceens done By Howard Hughes were Breath Taking !!!
      :angel1:
      Below is a Picture Story about "Jet Pilot."
      :wink_smile:
      Another thing that I liked was on Duke's Dress Uniform was the 8th Air Force Patch , that I also had on my uniform back in the Early 1950s.
      :ohmy:
      At this time the U.S. Air Force did not have But one or two Russian Mtg-15s so all the Aircraft in the Film were U.S. Air Force Aircraft !
      :russia:

Chilibill

William T Brooks wrote:

Another thing that I liked was on Duke's Dress Uniform was the 8th Air Force Patch , that I also had on my uniform back in the Early 1950s.

Chilibill

But the question is . . . can you still get into that uniform (I'm guessing you might be able to :wink_smile:).

A film I enjoying watching over and over again. It is said that upon completion, the film ran close to 3 hours, but was cut down to under 2 hours by the studio. I would very much like to see that first cut of the film, but I'm sure all that footage is long gone now.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed seeing the movie again in still pictures.

In the 1980s I did a T.V. Special for William R. Hearst that was the Head of what was known at that time as Hearst A.B.C. on Howard Hughes a Long time Friend of Bill Hearst jr.
      :wink:
      And got to go though the Hughes Private Vault in Texas, and the First Cut Of The Film was Still There, So it might not be Lost Forever !
      :teeth_smile:
      But I Do Not Think I am Going to Hold My Breath until they put it out in its original Form !!!
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:

Because Hughes kept playing with it. He toyed and toyed with it untill he was happy with it and then released it. He fretted over the airial scenes and was going to make sure it was the best. At least that is what I remember reading. Anyone else know why?

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Hi Mark,

I've just noticed this duplicate thread has been started,
      although the dedicated thread is here,
      I have now merged the two.

Have a look at the top of the thread,
      where there is a bit more detail,
      as to why the film was delayed.
      It looks to me, that it
      was just Mr. Hughes's, strive for 'perfection'