Rio Lobo (1970)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 59 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rockwell T.

• Re: Rio Lobo (1971)

Hi,
      Part 3 of the Howard Hawks, trilogy, although I thought this was quite different from the other two!
      Whilst I thought RIO BRAVO, EL DORADO, followed a very similar patterm, I felt this one didn't.
      Ok, there were, similarities, but I don't know, it just was.well....different!!
      Duke was great cast as the Colonel, but some of the others, in comparison, were weak.
      Mexican, Jorge Rivero, a good looking, former Olympic swimmer, was pretty inept in his part.

I just watched this film last night, and I can't agree more... Rivero was charming but he was just no match for the Duke. Chris Mitchum was slighrly better, but the really weak supporting performances in the first half of the film really weaken it.

Things only really begin to improve when the always delightful Jack Elam shows up but his screen time is sadly small, Just imagine what it would have been like if he had palled around with Wayne for most of the picture!

And with the exception of Amelita, the woman are annoying and can't act to save their lives, O'Neil is/was a horrible actress. Tuscarora's girlfriend was whiny and a character that could have been eliminated entirely.

The movie is highly enjoyable despite all its flaws, and that's primarily because of John Wayne himself as he carries the entire film on his shoulders and almost damn near succeeds in making a really good movie. He finally gets some help when Elam shows up, and boy does Elam lighten that load for Wayne.

I always liked this movie. Jack Elam was really the only competition Duke had in acting department. I think apart from a small part in The Commancheros this was Jack's only other appearance with John Wayne.

I remember having a promo for this film on super 8 which featured all the other JW /Hawk Movies plus footage from Rio Lobo. I dont think this appeared with DVD

Mike

Lt. Brannigan wrote:

. . . the woman are annoying and can't act to save their lives, O'Neil is/was a horrible actress. Tuscarora's girlfriend was whiny and a character that could have been eliminated entirely.

Lt. B, the Mrs. says she couldn't agree more with your assessment of the female characters in the film. "Annoying" is the word she uses every time we watch the movie.

On another vein, here is a poster for your enjoyment ~

Rio Lobo-poster 2.jpg

Um...chester? The first poster is from Rio Bravo, not Lobo.

You wern't thinking about those annoying actresses and got sidetracked, did ya? :stunned:

Just trying to help out. :teeth_smile:

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

i watched this for the first time last night and i thought it was an ok film. to my shame, i don t know a lot about the american civil war, so found it a bit confusing to begin with but once i got into the story i enjoyed it.
      i do think though, that it was john wayne that carried the film. the women were annoying, mostly because they seemed to lack credible personalites and they seemed to jump in with their lines before jw had finished his.
      thought jack elam was great and their were some great lines in it ...
      Cord McNally: Ketcham, we promised you in a trade. But we didn't say what *condition* you'd be in!
      Cord McNally: Mr. Phillips; you watch Ketchum while we go inside.
      Phillips: Sure thing, Colonel. If you hear a loud noise, it'll be Mr. Ketchum dyin'.
      on the whole, i think 7/10 is about right
      "Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

i d like to add as well, i am so ashamed of my lack of knowledge on the american civil war that i have got some books out of the library on it!!!

Hooked on The Duke

badger wrote:

i d like to add as well, i am so ashamed of my lack of knowledge on the american civil war that i have got some books out of the library on it!!!

Badger, no worries. Most young Americans probably have no idea who Winston Churchill was or if the British invasion of the 60's was done with music or guns.:wink_smile:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=2] ShortGrub
      [/SIZE]

ShortGrub wrote:

Badger, no worries. Most young Americans probably have no idea who Winston Churchill was or if the British invasion of the 60's was done with music or guns.:wink_smile:

yeah but all of a sudden its captured my imagination and i want to know more. do you really call the beatles, oasis etc... british invasion music? we just call it brit pop

Hooked on The Duke

badger wrote:

yeah but all of a sudden its captured my imagination and i want to know more. do you really call the beatles, oasis etc... british invasion music? we just call it brit pop

Many record, 8track, and cassette sets were labeled British Invasion with artists like the Stones, Beatles, Cream, The Who, etc.. on them.
      I remember the people burning records over rock music.

On the Civil War subject, if you have any questions, myself or another here probably can answer them. I have visited all but a few of the major battle sites, and a majority of the minor ones. My book collection is extensive with American and British authors. Brit Col. Henderson's book on Stonewall Jackson is excellent.

The character differences I liked in Rio Lobo. Duke, Elam, and Mitchum are very different in style and screen presence and yet they blended well.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=2] ShortGrub
      [/SIZE]

thanks shortgrub
      well basically what was the civil war all about? how did it start and why? and where was it mostly fought out? was it geographical or ideological? has it made politics in america the way it is today ie would one side have been republicans and the other democrats?
      anything at all really - also which are the best sites to look up
      thanks

Hooked on The Duke

(ot) I know this post is off topic to Rio Lobo the movie, but it is to help Badger understand in context the theme behind the movies beginning.
      Your understanding is appreciated.:wink_smile:

http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer - Museum of the Confederacy

http://www.historyplace.com/civilwar/index.html - Good timeline of events of the Civil War

http://www.nps.gov/history/ - US Park Service which has good history pages.

Just a few sites of many.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=2] ShortGrub
      [/SIZE]

The post was edited 1 time, last by ShortGrub ().

thanks shortgrub - i ll have a good look through these this afternoon... and you re right... it is to understand the background to rio lobo

Hooked on The Duke