El Dorado (1967)

There are 177 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 183,540 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here is a copy of the book from which the movie idea came from. The book bears very little resemblance with the movie, but was a very good read.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Are you saying the book doesn't follow the same story line that was in the movie? I have always wanted to read that book.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Not even close, SXViper. It is almost a totally different story with just a very little of it making the movie. Even the characters are different. It's been a while since I read it, but I did enjoy it as a book. It just wasn't near the same as the movie. Most of the books I read that were made into Duke movies, they stay close in the story line. This is the only one I read that was so far off. If I didn't know that El Dorado was a product from the book befor I read it, I would not have guessed it. But like I said, it was a very good read.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks Mark,

I have tried looking for that book but all I can find is a hardcover edition that is very expensive. Anyone know of a softcover that might be more affordable? I say this understanding that it is probably out of print but its worth a shot to ask.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Great movie, but I think it just edges out Rio Bravo. Just didn't care for Angie Dickinson's acting in that one, but I did notice her at the end of the movie in that little outfit.:stunned:

I give El Dorado the nod too. Charlene Holt was better than Angie Dickinson. James Cahn was better than Ricky Nelson. Bob Mitchum was better than Dean Martin and Christopher George was better than Claud Aikens.

One of my favorites!

• Thanks Mark,

I have tried looking for that book but all I can find is a hardcover edition that is very expensive. Anyone know of a softcover that might be more affordable? I say this understanding that it is probably out of print but its worth a shot to ask.

The book is currently available at Amazon, paperback starting at around $20. A bit pricey for a paperback, but far more affordable than the $161 starting price for the hardcover!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• i liked this film nearly as much as rio bravo, definitely one of my favourites and will watch it again. thought robert mitchum was great too

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• The only thing that keeps Rio Bravo ahead of EL Dorado is Stumpy. Caan and Nelson are a wash, as is Mitchum and Martin, but Brennan as Stumpy is the topper for me.

This Harry Brown who wrote the book was a screen writer on movies. He did Sands of Iwo Jima.

• I also really liked this movie. Famed western artist Olaf Wieghorst did the art work for the opening of the movie and played the part of the gunsmith Swede Larsen. I was wondering if anyone has seen any new or old postcards showing his artwork?
    Thanks,
    RiverRoad

• Hi River Road

If you go on to Google there is a sight called the Olaf Wieghorst Museum. Apparently its in El Cajon Texas. It has an email address and can be contacted.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I also really liked this movie. Famed western artist Olaf Wieghorst did the art work for the opening of the movie and played the part of the gunsmith Swede Larsen. I was wondering if anyone has seen any new or old postcards showing his artwork?
    Thanks,
    RiverRoad

RiverRoad,

I want to thank you for your contribution to this conversation, and congratulate you on making your first post here! Welcome to the JWMB! We hope this is just the first of many more posts!

Thanks, Arthur, for the information on the artist. We always enjoy the artwork at the beginning of the movie - a wonderful accompaniment to the opening score.

Chester :newyear:

• I watched this again on Sunday Night. My all time favorite movie. (Yeah, I know I also said that about "Rio Bravo", but hey, that was last week! Next week it'll be "True Grit"!) Just a fun, entertaining movie. As much as I like Duke and Mitchum, James Caan as "Mississippi" is my favorite character in this one. Christopher George as McLeod was great too...kind of shades of Cherry Valance from "Red River". (bud)

• Thanks Arthur for the website link and Chester for the welcome. I've emailed the museum to see if they have postcards as singles or in sets.
    Regards,
    RiverRoad

• Every time I watch El Dorado I think it's better than Rio Bravo. On the other hand every time I watch Rio Bravo I would say Rio Bravo is better. I just cannot decide which is the better movie. Both are great and I rate both with 10/10.

As mentioned before the artwork at the beginning together with the El Dorado Title Theme is wonderful. Same goes to Chisum. :teeth_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I like El Dorado, but it seems too rushed to me. I enjoy Rio Bravo more due to it going more into the backround of the relationship of the characters.
    That said, El Dorado has some great lines, and action scenes.

• While Arthur Hunnicutt is no Walter Brennan, almost every line he delivers is quotable. As far as I can remember, this is the only time that two David Crocketts appeared in the same movie.

We deal in lead, friend.

• El Dorado just isn't there for me which I suppose is due to the comparitive similarities in storylines with Rio Bravo. The cast in El Dorado is great and I certainly enjoyed them, however.

• I just watched El Dorado. Good humor and story line with a couple of beautiful women thrown in. Havent seen it in years. I JUST love the spotty bum [ Appaloosa ] JW rides in that movie. He was quite a horseman..