Randy Rides Alone (1934)

There are 26 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 25,616 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• RANDY RIDES ALONE

DIRECTED BY HARRY FRASER
    PRODUCED BY PAUL MALVERN
    LONE STAR PRODUCTIONS
    MONOGRAM PICTURES

p1183_v_v8_aa.jpg

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Accused of murder and robbery, Randy is released from jail to the custody of Sally Rogers so he can find the real badguys. He finds their secret hideout behind a waterfall.
    Summary written by Ed Stephan

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... Randy Bowers
    Alberta Vaughn .... Sally Rogers
    George 'Gabby' Hayes .... Marvin Black, alias Matt Matthews/Matt the Mute (as George Hayes)
    Yakima Canutt .... Henchman Spike
    Earl Dwire .... Sheriff
    Artie Ortego .... Deputy (as Arthur Artego)
    Tex Phelps .... Deputy Al
    rest of cast listed alphabetically:
    Horace B. Carpenter .... Ed Rogers (uncredited)
    Tommy Coats .... Henchman Tommy (uncredited)
    Herman Hack .... Henchman (uncredited)
    Murdock MacQuarrie .... Murder victim (uncredited)
    Perry Murdock .... Kidnapper (uncredited)
    Tex Palmer .... Henchman (uncredited)
    Mack V. Wright .... Deputy (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Lindsley Parsons (story)(screenplay)

Cinematography
    Archie Stout

Stunts
    Yakima Canutt .... stunt double (uncredited)
    Tommy Coats .... stunt double (uncredited)

Goofs
    * Continuity: The gun held by the dead man on the saloon counter changes position from one shot to another.

* Continuity: When Marvin Black talks to all his henchmen, he has his hands hanging. Between shots he appears with his both hands leaned on his hips.

* Continuity: Toward the end of the film, Randy gets shot by Marvin and falls with the horse. First we see him trying to stand up behind a thicket.
    After he appears faint, with his back on the ground. But when he wakes up, he is with his chest on the ground.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Santa Clarita, California, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

Randy Rides Alone

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 19 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Randy Rides Alone is a Western film made in 1934.
    The 53-minute black-and-white film was directed by Harry L. Fraser,
    produced by Paul Malvern for Lone Star Productions and released by Monogram Pictures.

I am biased towards, these Lone Star films.
    I enjoy all of them, for all their whirlwind, few days, low budget filming,
    they are a joy, and fun to watch.

In this one Duke gets off to an eerie start, when he enters,
    a saloon, strewn with bodies!!
    It is obvious now, that Duke ss perfecting his persona,
    and is stronger in his delivery and cadence.
    With support actors like Gabby, and Earl Dwire,
    and a love interest in Alberta Vaughan, she looked a little odd,
    and I don't think Duke would have fancied her, in real life.
    Was she wearing 1930's clothes and hairstyle??
    Anyway Yak, was in these as well, and boy, were these fight scenes, improving.

Harry Fraser, the director, said of Duke,

"Wayne never worked harder in his life, then he did in these little shoot-ups"

In this film, Duke really fell off the horse, looked stunned, and was looking for his hat,

Yak said,

"I hollered at the top of my voice, for him to get on the horse, and ride out"

The shot looked really wild, and was used in the picture

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi,
    The beginning of this movie with piano playing and all this dead bodies sertainly has the mood and something surrealistic. I always wonder did all later famous directors, who shoot authors films saw this movie. I think even Kurosawa may be proud of that beginning.
    Regards,
    Senta

• We noticed that Keith's poster in the introductory post for this thread looks amazing like the one we posted for Rainbow Valley! Look and see what you think -

http://www.dukewayne.com/post40289-3.html

Below are some posters for Randy Rides Alone, none of them the same as Keith's.

I don't know anything about the first two. The third one is a 1934 poster, and the fourth one is a 1939 reissue.

• There is a scene in this movie where the Duke is riding his horse across a bridge and sails off the horse and into the river below. Pretty good stunt. I know Duke used to do a lot of his own stunts, but does anyone know if he did this one or perhaps it was Canutt?

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Quite a good movie. Unusual beginning and Gabby Hayes as Matt the Mute has to be seen to be believed. On the plus side there is more of the John Wayne character we know & love on display in his mannerisms and voice inn this movie. My 22nd Century DVD does have some of that annoying added on music and effects which were included with earlier colorised videos.

The miniature model of of the Half Way Saloon is unbelievable and must have cost at least $10.00!!!

At 52 minutes it is passable movie although some of the scenery and rocks are looking awful familar to me.

By way of curiousity was there ever a Lone Star Whisky as advertised in the Half Way House Saloon or was this careful product placement by Lone Star.

• I spent an enjoyable Saturday night watching a John Wayne double bill of B movies as well as Harrison Ford's "Witness," "Randy Rides Alone," was one of the Duke's B movies that I watched.

I agree with many that the beginning of the movie within the Saloon was both eerie and original, I also liked the fact that Duke was beginning to perfect his mannerisms.

The punch up scenes were a problem as there were no sound effects included, does anyone know if there are copies of these movies available with sound included to reflect the noise of a punch?

I was also disppointed that this movie did not have a big shoot out at the end with Duke against the bad guys, the posse from the local town spoiled this as I was expecting Duke to be on his own.

Overall I wasn't keen on this movie at all.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I watched this movie the other day, and I thought that the dukes charactor had the strength that charactorized him in later years. For the era I thought that it was pretty good.

• This one stood out with me! A little better then his average B western! Music was better, Get to watch Gabby Hayes as a Bad Guy! I kinda liked it! A little different from the rest of them!

• Watched this one again today. Always wondering: was these old B westerns ever restored? Collector editions and etc.? Seems there are lot of cheap editions since they are public domain, but nobody really care about their restoration. when you are looking at these great photos you can imagine how they might look being restored.

• Hello Senta. There are actually a few of Duke's old "B" westerns that have been restored in Blueray. While I haven't seen any of them yet, I heard they are done well. Look on a site that sells Blueray movies and type in Duke's name. See what comes up.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "