Donovan's Reef (1963)

There are 114 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 120,787 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I great, knockabout romp, I liked Lee Marvin in this one, him & JW look to be having a hoot filming the movie :teeth_smile:

• It seems somewhat strange though that this funny film would be the last Ford and the Duke would make together. It's definitely not a serious film and I guess I'd have expected those two to make a big bang up film for their last effort together. But then again, I guess you never know it's going to be your last till it turns out to be either.

I'm certainly glad they made this one as it is fun to watch. Also, isn't this the last film in which Duke plays the romantic part with a young woman?

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I love it, it makes me smile the roof that never gets fixed the fights the aussie navy / local gendarme brawl not the least of which.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• [extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVQ4w0kft60&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVQ4w0kft60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have always liked this movie and remember it well from late 60's and early 70's on TV. Ever since it has been available on both VHS Tape & DVD I have acquired a copy of each release to see which print they have used. Alas, they are all the same and do not show the movie as it was originally released or at least as shown on earlier TV movies. I distinctly remember Ameilia (Elizabeth Allen) falling off the back of the Jeep twice during the movie but all the Tape & DVD release versions only show this once near the end of the movie - and it is evident that it did happen twice because John Wayne says to her after the fall, "Not again". a reference to the fact it had happened before. The movie has clearly been re-edited since its original release.
    Does anyone know of a DVD release that shows the full movie or at least the two fall version?

• Hi Cong

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• hi
    when i first saw donovan's reef i was'nt to pushed on the movie.i taught it was ok.to be honest with you it was boring.i saw the film when i was about 14 it didnt appeal to me.i have only watched it once since then until the other nite.to my surprise i really enjoyed the film.john wayne and lee marvin were great and the location was magnificent.the christmas scene is one of my favourite scences in the film.john wayne did an excellent job as guns donovan's.it proves that john wayne can do comedy as we new he could do anyway

• I agree that Duke could do comedy as well as anyone! As for DR, I like bits more than the whole tho. Marvin & Duke DID make a great team, too bad they didn't do more films together. The bar brawl was fun-actually the brawls were the best parts of the film IMHO. For myself, I thought Elizabeth Allen was another good match for Duke, but I couldn't buy her as Warden's daughter. It's just a time killer for me.

• Great fun to watch this movie! I liked it as a child and I still like it... It has become some kind of a tradition for me to watch Donovan´s Reef on DVD on New Years Eve.

I bought a fine DVD of Donovan´s Reef that was released for the Duke´s 100th Birthday with a large movie poster - another nice piece for my collection!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."