Donovan's Reef (1963)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 109 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Donovan's Reef (1963)

Jim,

At the time, we had a toddler, was a bit hesitant
      about exploring.
      However I was in SF fo a week in th '70's.
      I drove down from Vancouver to SF
      in a big black Buick, camping
      on the way down,
      in Washington and Oregon,
      great experience!
      Camping on the Pacific coast was magic!
      Incidently it was exactly the same time
      when Mt. St. Helens blew it's top,
      the weather was wierd.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Hi all,
      I wathched this movie today for the first time. I was always postponding purchasing it, becouse for me it is too the last of Duke-Ford movies, which I had't see before. One reason was - want to have something bright left for myself in future.

And I wasn't dissapointed, but exited aftre seeing it. I think this movie is underrated. It was shot after dark and moody The Man Who Shot Liberty Vilance - in which Old West is changing so much and it seems nothing left for man to stand for.

But in this light comedy Ford put so many things he loved - islands, Araner, Christmas Service (last one with a touch of irony - Lee Marvin as a wise King of USA) and it is so human. And of course nice man charecters. Duke on the lead.

I love this movie.

Regards,
      Senta

I great, knockabout romp, I liked Lee Marvin in this one, him & JW look to be having a hoot filming the movie :teeth_smile:
      Windage & elevation Ms.Langdon, windage & elevation!

It seems somewhat strange though that this funny film would be the last Ford and the Duke would make together. It's definitely not a serious film and I guess I'd have expected those two to make a big bang up film for their last effort together. But then again, I guess you never know it's going to be your last till it turns out to be either.

I'm certainly glad they made this one as it is fun to watch. Also, isn't this the last film in which Duke plays the romantic part with a young woman?
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVQ4w0kft60&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVQ4w0kft60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/extendedmedia]
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

I have always liked this movie and remember it well from late 60's and early 70's on TV. Ever since it has been available on both VHS Tape & DVD I have acquired a copy of each release to see which print they have used. Alas, they are all the same and do not show the movie as it was originally released or at least as shown on earlier TV movies. I distinctly remember Ameilia (Elizabeth Allen) falling off the back of the Jeep twice during the movie but all the Tape & DVD release versions only show this once near the end of the movie - and it is evident that it did happen twice because John Wayne says to her after the fall, "Not again". a reference to the fact it had happened before. The movie has clearly been re-edited since its original release.
      Does anyone know of a DVD release that shows the full movie or at least the two fall version?

Hi Cong

WELCOME to The JWMB-
      The Original John Wayne Message Board
      where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
      we're a friendly bunch of folks,
      and there is a wealth of information to see,
      regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

hi
      when i first saw donovan's reef i was'nt to pushed on the movie.i taught it was ok.to be honest with you it was boring.i saw the film when i was about 14 it didnt appeal to me.i have only watched it once since then until the other nite.to my surprise i really enjoyed the film.john wayne and lee marvin were great and the location was magnificent.the christmas scene is one of my favourite scences in the film.john wayne did an excellent job as guns donovan's.it proves that john wayne can do comedy as we new he could do anyway