The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 123 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

Remember when Wayne found out Ransom was practicing, he took him to his place and shot the paint cans and got Ransom full of paint. Ransom couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. For the movie it would have been better if duke's shot was timed with Ransom's. But then Liberty wouldn't have gotten off a shot. I guess it's all in the script. And it did all happen in a split second.

DukePilgrim wrote:

I would reckon it was to prevent the stagecoach from getting into town too quickly and notifying the sheriff who would organise a posse after Liberty & the gang.

Mike

Exactly, the number of horses in front of a stagecoach determined how long it would take. If it was a long trip they might even have 6 so they don't get tired too quickly and or course the stations they would stop at to change horses for fresh ones. If you ever watch Encore Westerns, or read True West magazine, Bob Boze Bell has a lot of interesting info on things just like this. The longer it took to get back to town the more time Liberty had to get back south of the picket wire. There is a flaw in many westerns on just how fast a stage could go when being chased. Those chase scenes are just for our entertainment. Most stagecoaches were robbed bandits waiting for them and shooting to frighten the horses and they were easily stopped by someone grabbing the bit on one of the lead horses.

I have Driven Both a 4 Up and a 6 Up Teams of Horses and it is Just that, Leading Horses, and when the Two leading Horses are turned by the Driver the Other Horses follow.
      :wink_smile:

When you cut loose the Two Leading Horses , the other horses are not trained to follow the Pull of the Rains as the Leading Horses Are !!!
      :ohmy:
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:
    • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

I read a little blurb in the paper today that Lee Marvin died on this date in 1987. It was amazing to me he had been dead that long.

I always thought Marvin was a great villan as Liberty Valance. The scene where Edmund O'Brien goes into his dark newspaper office, lights the lamp and Marvin is standing there made me jump the first time I saw it.

I wasn't that wild about the film the first time I saw it but it has grown on me. It's Ford's last great film. My only complaint is that everyone in it is 20 years too old for his part.

may2 wrote:

I My only complaint is that everyone in it is 20 years too old for his part.

Can't agree with you. May be if it was real life - you might be right. But this dark and disillusioning Ford's masterpiece calls for older actors.

Regards,
      Senta

Arthur,

Those advertising cards/posters (you shared them on page 3 of this thread) are really neat.

I thought I'd finished placing posters in the 60s Westerns, but it seems I missed this one, so here it is now :wink_smile: -

Man Who Shot Liberty Valance-poster.jpg

Not a bad movie, although it should have been filmed in colour and on location. Some of the acting was over the top, especially from Andy Devine and John Carradine. Only Duke coulod have played Tom Doniphan, I just wish they had used a younger actor than Stewart to play the young lawyer.

5/10.

On my slow road of discovery through the films of Mr. Wayne, I have just for the first time crossed paths with this strangely moving piece of filmmaking. This is the sixth John Wayne film I have watched in the past month, which began after I realized that I have foolishly been shunning his body of work for no good reason at all. Each film I have viewed has been a revelation, delivering the goods on both an entertainment and emotional level.

I just received Paramount's Century Collection boxed set, and I have begun digging in. I watched the Shootist first, which I greatly enjoyed, even though it was a bittersweet farewell to the Duke and left me a little sad at the end. I followed up with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and was absolutely blown away by it, and it has been lingering in my mind for the past few nights. It really left its mark on me. A real heartbreaking story. So many great stars and memorable faces in this picture. So many talented individuals the likes of which we'll never see again.

Of the 6 Wayne films I have seen thus far, Liberty Valance, like the man himself, pushes and shoves its way to near the top of my list of favorites, right up there with The Searchers and The Cowboys. I have liked everything I have seen thus far, and I plan on continuing with my next film tomorrow night, although I haven't decided which one to view yet (thinking about Island in the Sky...).

A near perfect 10 in my book.