The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 124,907 times. The latest Post () was by TheVirginian.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I just watched it again last night, and yes the "town drunk" line is a beauty is'nt it. I think they were all pretty good were'nt they, and i saw some new stuff i hadnt picked up before as well.

• Wow! Great shot of Duke, Denver Pyle, Lee Van Cleef and Strother Martin.

Love that off handed kick to the chin that Wayne delivers to Martin.

We deal in lead, friend.

• What was Tom Donophins life after Stoddard and Hallie left for Washington? I know it does not give any clues in the movie, but I read somewhere that he became homeless. He must have had no money if the County was paying for his funeral. Did he become a man who gave up on life?

• What was Tom Donophins life after Stoddard and Hallie left for Washington? I know it does not give any clues in the movie, but I read somewhere that he became homeless. He must have had no money if the County was paying for his funeral. Did he become a man who gave up on life?

It's certainly implied that he pressed the self destruct button, perhaps hitting the drink pretty hard; it is interesting to notes that he does seem to have accepted some of Stoddard views as in his later life he no longer wore a gun.

Regards
    Robbie

• In the scene where Tom tells Ranse it was him who killed Valance, his look is rather unkempt, unshaven and his clothes grimy. And as he leaves he walks with a shuffle of low esteem as opposed to his swagger in the begining scenes of the movie giving the viewer the impression he gave up on life and no longer cared. I think this movie is where Wayne projects raw emotion right up there next to Ethan Edwards in The Searchers. Seems Ford had a way to bring out the best in Duke.

Edited 2 times, last by bigman58 ().

• Watched this movie again on AMC today. It's the only JW movie that makes me cry every time. Such a sad story......