The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 125,011 times. The latest Post () was by TheVirginian.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am new to the site, but I had to read all 10 pages about this movie on here.

It is one of my most favorite movies of all time. There are stories inside of stories along with many different struggles.

For instance, the story of westward expansion. Territories being settled and struggling to attain statehood. People are trying to scratch out a life for themselves on the frontier. Dealing with cattle barons and the roughest, toughest men/thieves around. Soon to follow all of them is the railroad and their adaption to becoming civilized and educated.

It depicts a time when our country was still young and struggling to grow. A time that saw the wild west being tamed.

In this movie, you have the classic struggles of Man vs. Man, himself and the environment(nature) in which he has chosen to try and settle.

Ransom was struggling with himself and the culture shock of landing in a God forsaken place after following "Go west young man". Plus, the struggle he has with Liberty. One man representing the yester years; the other man representing the change in times and the future.

Doniphon was tough enough to make it there along the Picket wire. He could care less about books and politics. He had everything thought out on how it was going to be...ranch...wife..etc. Never expected to be thrust into making Ransom Stoddard a legend and losing the lady to boot.

But that love is what led to him finally shooting Liberty. The shot that brought down Liberty all so brought down himself. He killed Liberty and soon he was dead inside once it became clear he had lost Hallie. He was unselfish in his love for her and put her happiness before his.

With the death of Liberty Valance came the hero Ransom Stoddard. People were not living in fear anymore. Ransom struggles again with himself. He does not see himself as a hero and realizes he did not practice what he had preached. He did not bring Liberty to justice. He had dealt with him the way Doniphon had told him too...with force. The way things were dealt with in the territory.

Ransom further struggles with seeing himself as a representative for the people of the territory merely for gunning down Valance. Again acting unselfishly, Doniphon sets the record straight and lets him know he shot Liberty Valance. He then tells Stoddard to go back inside and answer his call of duty. Accept the nomination; get statehood for the territory and make it a good place to settle down with Hallie.

I really could write more but must leave. Sorry it is so long. So much is happening in this film.

• I hope the description of James being uncomfortable around black cast members isn't true as for me he's one of the finest actors ever and whatever way you want to look at it that is racist, especially if he had problems talking to them. I love Duke and I don't consider him racist at all but if Stewart held that opinion then it was rather outdated at the time. He was such an incredible war hero aswell

• First, welcome to Donipon! I am new here myself. I enjoyed reading your description of Tom's feelings.

As for Jimmy's problems with blacks, Irish Duke...I had never heard that. But that was the movie that made him (in Duke's opinion), one of the gang. Halfway through the filming, Duke told Jimmy that everyone is always at the bottom of the barrel with Ford at some time but that Jimmy never had been. The story began circulating around the set, and Jimmy, (who told this story in an interview about Ford), began to feel quite cocky about it. So, two days before the end of shooting, Ford called Jimmy aside and asked him what he thought of Woody Strode's "costume". Jimmy drawled out, "Well, it looks a little Uncle Remussy to me". Ford stopped everything, had all climb down and gather close and told everyone what Jimmy had said. He went on to say something to the effect that he didn't know what kind of prejudices our star had or why, but he just thought that everyone should know about it.
    Jimmy was floored, and of course, extremely embarrassed as Ford went on about making his movie. Duke went up to Jimmy and said, "Well, Jimmy, ya finally made it. Ya really did. And I'm glad!" Quote may be a little off as it is from memory, and I am old! Perhaps that is where the "rumor" came from. Anyway, I hope so, because I am a great Stewart fan myself!
    KPKEITH

I hope the description of James being uncomfortable around black cast members isn't true as for me he's one of the finest actors ever and whatever way you want to look at it that is racist, especially if he had problems talking to them. I love Duke and I don't consider him racist at all but if Stewart held that opinion then it was rather outdated at the time. He was such an incredible war hero aswell

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE