Fort Apache (1948)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 103 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Here we are almost 50 years after the Film "Fort Apache" was Filmed in Monument Valley, Arizona and parts of Utah here in the Southwest, and we are still talking about the Film and Duke. :)

John Ford Filmed the Movie in Monument Valley because He wanted the look of the Wide-Open Spaces that the Valley has. :D

The Real "Fort Apache" is about 170 miles South of Monument Valley in what is called The White Mountains in Eastern Arizona at over 7000 ft. altitude and in one of the Largest Pine Forest in the U.S. and just a Few Miles Southwest of Duke's 26 Bar Ranch. :cowboy:

If you would like to see what the Real "Fort Apache" looks like Now, You can Go To The Site Below and then Click The Walking Tour. :rolleyes:

THE REAL FORT APACHE

Chilibill :cowboy:
    • Re: Fort Apache (1948)

Hello All

Watched Fort Apache again tonight. Have to say out of the cavalery trilogy or quartet if you include Horse Soldiers that it is my least favourite.

The first half of the movie is very slow. Even the Ford humour elements are tired and a little trying and I just get the feeling that they are going round the same part of Monument Valley over and over again.

It is also pulled down by the cold unpleasant martinet role that Fonda is playing.

Admittedly, the second half flows much better and pulls the movie towards a satisfying conclusion.

Maybe its the subservient role that Wayne plays as Capt Yorke that is why I am not particularly fussed on the movie.

This is an opinion I have had from a number of viewings of this movie so I guess it wont change.

Mike

Hi Dukepilgrim
      your opinion is right, I think so,too.
      In "Fort Apache",Henry Fonda is STAR.
      But Real Star is horse solders and ther Home warming world too!
      I like this movie to much.
      and the song "Oh,Dem Golden Slippers" is Cheerful,isn't it?
      this song was used "My Darling Clementine" and "Young Mr, Lincoln".
      I want to Know other movies use this song,
      Please teach me movie titles.

It's funny, I can take to Henry Fonda in Young Mr Lincoln and Grapes of Wrath but was not fussed on him in Fort Apache or My Darling Clementine.

Mister Roberts was another movie I thought he was a sour puss in because he had done the role on Broadway for so long and thought he couldnt be faulted.

I suspect John Wayne did Fort Apache as a favour to Ford.

Ford tended to use a lot of traditional songs in his movies and they turn up all over the place.

Mike

Mike

Frankly speaking, Fort Apache may be non-western,of course not Duke's western,
      but it 's fascination is discribtion of heartwarming cavaley life.
      that's a home dorama !
      and bringing them to ruin,in other words,tragedy
      of glory cavaley.

To Henry Fonda, I just apply a word "STAR" to the leading actor.
      not a shade of meaning for"take to"or "fused".

Just watched "Fort Apache" last weekend, I think it's a great movie. I think as far as the Cavalry/Indian War movies, "Rio Grande" is my favorite (Mainly because of the character played by Ben Johnson and the pairing of Duke and Maureen), but this one comes in a close second. The films that make up the Cavalry Trilogy never make my list of top westerns - that is to say, they're not films I pick when I'm in the mood for a western, but they are three of the best historical-fiction flicks ever! Duke, despite the top billing, plays a supporting role...but what a strong supporting role it is. Kirby York is one of my favorite characters that Duke played. And, the main reason I've always liked it is because the Indians get to win one! Great movie!

Hi

The scene where John Wayne interupts the dance after meeting Cochise from left to right

Guy Kibbee, Henry Fonda, George O Brien John Wayne unknown Unknown Grant Withers

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Arthur, great stills! Thanks for sharing them.

Here are three posters -

Fort Apache-poster.jpg

These next two are reissue posters, from 1953 and 1957 respectively -

Fort Apache-1953 reissue poster.jpg Fort Apache-1957 reissue poster.jpg

Same poster, just goes from full color to two color (I'm not including white as a color).
    • FILM FACTS: Fort Apache (1948)

Here are the Film Facts for this film, from Clive Woollands (see this post for more information) -

Howdy folks, here we are again. Another Film Fact, this time for the
      classic, Fort Apache. I hope you like it.

Producers: Merian C. Cooper, John Ford, Screenplay: Frank S. Nugent,
      Cinematographer: Archie Stout, Art Director: Jack Murray,
      Distribution: RKO Pictures, Location: Monument Valley, Cost of
      Production: $2.5 million, Box office takings: $3 million, Date of
      production: 1948.

Former child star Shirley Temple had worked with John Ford once before in 1937's Wee Willie Winkie. Pregnant during some of the filming, Fort Apache was one of her final films. Unable to successfully make the shift to a grown up acting career, she made
      just four more films before retiring from the screen in 1950. That same year she divorced John Agar and married San Francisco businessman Charles Black. He claimed never to have seen any of her movies.

James Bellah, writer of the story `Massacre' that Fort Apache was based on, also wrote the stories that inspired She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande. He later wrote the screenplay for The Man who Shot Liberty Valence (1962).

Fans of the James Bond films might recognise Mexican actor Pedro Armendariz, who played Sgt Beaufort in Fort Apache. His final film role – shot while he was suffering from terminal cancer – was an MI6 agent Karim Bey in 1963's From Russia With Love.

Victor McLaglen, who plays Sgt Festus Mucahy, was actually a sergeant in the British Army in the 1920's.

Fort Apache was John Agar's first movie role. He went on to make six more films with John Wayne, including She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, the second film in Ford's Cavalry trilogy.