Fort Apache (1948)

There are 104 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 117,571 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• A slightly belated Happy Anniversary
    to this wonderful B&W film classic.

"Fort Apache"

65 years ago yesterday, March 18, 1948
    Fort Apache was released to theaters.
    Made me want to go out and enlist
    in the cavalry but my Mother
    insisted that I finish
    High School first.

(Had a big 'crush' on Shirley Temple at the time)
    (I"Hated" John Agar)

• lasbugus-
    great picture, look how massive Duke,Victor and the other guy 2nd row left are. Compare
    to Henry Fonda.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Fort Apache, was decent enough Fonda really had a bigger part than Duke, it's interesting how Duke fares in these ensemble casts with Ford when he's not the sole focus. He's good in some scenes but too often fades into the background in this for me, if it was directed by anyone other than Ford I doubt Duke would have wanted the part. Ward Bond and Victor McLaglen stole the film for me, both great performers.

• Fort Apache, was decent enough Fonda really had a bigger part than Duke, it's interesting how Duke fares in these ensemble casts with Ford when he's not the sole focus. He's good in some scenes but too often fades into the background in this for me, if it was directed by anyone other than Ford I doubt Duke would have wanted the part. Ward Bond and Victor McLaglen stole the film for me, both great performers.

• With regard to the three color pictures posted by Lasbugas on May 21, 2011...

The bottom picture is NOT from Ft. Apache, but rather Rio Grade...Duke didn't have a mustache in Ft. Apache, but DID in Rio Grande. Also, note the stairs behind him, and the wagon. This is the wagon used to place the kidnapped children in to return then safely home.

I'm beginning to have doubts about the top picture as well, as it appears that he has a different hat from the one he wore in Ft. Apache, plus he also appears to have facial hair...

I mean no disrespect, as his work is always stellar, it's just to set the record straight.

• I just watched the last part of Fort Apache, I need to watch it all, but the quality of the picture was excellent.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower