The Star Packer (1934)

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 23,474 times. The latest Post () was by mareisland.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE STAR PACKER

DIRECTED BY ROBERT NORTH BRADBURY
    PRODUCED BY PAIL MALVERN
    LONE STAR PRODUCTIONS
    MONOGRAM PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    John Travers and his Indian companion Yak are after the mysterious Shadow and his gang. When Sheriff Davis is killed, Travers becomes Sheriff. Catching two gang members, he learns of the room where the gang gets their orders from behind a fake wall safe and makes plans to trap the Shadow.
    Summary written by Maurice VanAuken

Full Cast
    John Wayne .... U.S. Marshal John Travers
    Verna Hillie .... Anita Matlock, Matt Matlock's Niece
    George 'Gabby' Hayes .... Matt Matlock (as George Hayes)
    Yakima Canutt .... Yak, Travers' Indian Sidekick
    Earl Dwire .... Henchman Mason
    Eddie Parker .... Henchman Parker (as Ed Parker)
    George Cleveland .... Jake, the Cook
    Thomas G. Lingham .... Sheriff Al Davis (as Tom Lingham)
    Artie Ortego .... Henchman Pat (as Arthur Ortego)
    Davie Aldrich .... Young Boy
    Frank Ball .... Townsman (uncredited)
    Billy Franey .... Henchman Sniper in Tree Stump (uncredited)
    Arthur Millett .... Townsman (uncredited)
    Tex Palmer .... Joe, Stagecoach Driver (uncredited)
    Glenn Strange .... Henchman (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Robert N. Bradbury (story and screenplay)

Cinematography
    Archie Stout

Stunts
    Yakima Canutt .... stunts (uncredited)
    Eddie Parker .... stunts (uncredited)

Trivia
    The Matlock ranch-house is the same house as Juanita's house in The Desert Trail (1935) and as Malgrove's house in Blue Steel (1934)

Goofs
    * Continuity: When Travers is recovering the saddle bags, he is followed by two men. They observe him from a distance under the shade of a tree, but in the close shot they are in full sun.

* Continuity: Travers rides from town to recover the saddlebags riding a grey horse, and swaps horses with Yak for a bay or chestnut one. Yet the two men who follow him make no comment about this obvious change.

* Continuity: When Travers is at the Matlock ranch on his initial visit, the tails on his neckerchief vary in position between shots.

* Continuity: There are at least three chase sequences where the close shots show a different background to the long shots - Anita leaving the ranch, Travers and Yak pursuing the wagon with Anita and Matlock, and when Travers pursues the man who tried to ambush him as he left the Matlock ranch.

* Continuity: When Travers jumps into the river to rescue Anita, it is at a noticeably different point to where the wagon went in.

* Continuity: The countryside changes markedly in shots when the wagon goes into the river. The wagon is seen on a flat road in a valley and then the next shot shows it on a road on a steep hill beside a river.

* Continuity: Matlock clambers out of the river completely drenched but his clothes are dry when he steals the canoe. Similarly Travers' clothes are completely dry when he captures Matlock.

* Plot holes: Despite the title "The Star Packer", Travers never wears a badge at any time in the film.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    General Service Studios - 1040 N. Las Palmas, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
    (studio)
    Kernville, California, USA
    Newhall, California, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

The Star Packer

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 12 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Star Packer is a 1934 Western film directed by Robert N. Bradbury
    and starring John Wayne, George "Gabby" Hayes, Yakima Canutt, and Verna Hillie.

I am biased towards, these Lone Star films.
    I enjoy all of them, for all their whirlwind, few days, low budget filming,
    they are a joy, and fun to watch.

Yakima Canutt, quoted at the time,

I couldn't stand to look at myself on screen....
    I was always sensitive to stage fright....
    in doing action, I was perfectly at ease, but to get up and talk frightened me.
    That's what took me from acting, into the stunt game.

The stuntman hated the sound of his own voice, his vocal chords were damaged,
    whilst in the navy, so he had to force the sound out,
    and so he spoke in a monotone.

This is a fun one to watch, as we have a hollow tree trunk as the star.
    A good story line, gets you wondering where the fatal shots come from!!!
    Once again Duke maturing in his role, with the help of his usual love interest.
    played by Verna Hillie.

However Gabby is has wonderful as ever, and Yak, playing the most unconvincing Indian yet!!
    Right at the end, Duke's new son is shown an indian dance by Yak,
    who's great Indian language, consists of, what sounds like, OH THE HOKEY COKEY!!!!
    Good, fun to watch, enjoyable fun

the-star-packer-movie-poster-1934-1010674851.jpg

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Jim

I think this series of pictures although the films weren't brillian was one of the first to have good colourful posters. These are fine examples.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Though I'm sure we watched this film a few years ago, we watched it again recently, and were quite surprised by the appearance of Gabby Hayes. Not the fact that he appeared, I mean actually what he looked like, which was not the typical Gabby appearance. You'll just have to watch it and see for yourself.

Pretty standard story line, similar to many of the others of that time period, but fun to watch nonetheless.

Chester :newyear:

• Encores Western aired The Star Packer the other day so I watched as this is one early Wayne I haven't seen before. I always get a chuckle from those low-budget westerns where they don't have the budget to costume the leading lady properly. Nothing like seeing an actress in a 1930s outfit step out of a stagecoach! ;)

It was great seeing John Wayne so young and handsome (and slim) and also Yakima Canutt as his Indian sidekick... and George (no "Gabby") Hayes without a beard!

The distressing part was the score. Someone had added extremely cheesy synthesizer music during the action sequences! I really hate it when someone thinks they can "improve" an old movie this way as the usual result is just awful.

• The distressing part was the score. Someone had added extremely cheesy synthesizer music during the action sequences! I really hate it when someone thinks they can "improve" an old movie this way as the usual result is just awful.

Paula,
    If you look into our
    Duke's Movie Archives

They're all pretty poor quality but still retain the original music

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The version I saw on Encore Westerns had NEW synthesized music added in the action scenes where the original film did not have music. Someone must have thought those scenes needed music. It was very obvious this music was a later addition, not only because it was a synthesizer but because the sound of the recording was very different. Stood out like a sore thumb, actually. Really awful, cheesy, generic music. Bleh!

• Star Packer with Yakima as Wayne's Indian sidekick and Gabby Hayes as the villian I like his poverty row westerns I really like black and white movies, I'm glad that John and Yak worked hard on perfecting the fist fights because in his early movies you have to laugh at the brawls.

Saddle up were burnin daylight.

• This was the first Lone Star I saw, and recorded it on a videorecorder (I was the first one I knew that had one -$1200 in the 70s!). The tape cassettes were $12/hr or 2 hrs for $20 as I recall. Long gone....
    Yakima Canutt keeps saying what sounds like "Hi, you, skookum fun" or something like that.