The Comancheros (1961)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 172 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: The Comancheros (1961)

Pretty soon, you're gonna catch on that I'm not your friend!

One of the great lines from an enjoyable western, it makes it into my JW ton ten movies, good turns by Whitman & marvin, decent story-telling and a star turn by Duke
      Windage & elevation Ms.Langdon, windage & elevation!

Chester I think your poster is better, with regards to Arthur's picture I don't feel the image looks anything like John Wayne.

John C regarding that line within "The Comancheros," the exact statement was "And pretty soon you're gonna catch on I aint your friend!".

Sorry I'm a real nitpicker.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Robbie wrote:

Chester I think your poster is better, with regards to Arthur's picture I don't feel the image looks anything like John Wayne.

I agree that in Arthur's poster, the image doesn't look as much like John Wayne as in the one I shared, but I like the action portrayed in Arthur's much better.

Chester :newyear:

chester7777 wrote:

I agree that in Arthur's poster, the image doesn't look as much like John Wayne as in the one I shared, but I like the action portrayed in Arthur's much better.

Chester :newyear:

Arthur's poster does give a truer essence of the movie via the images of action, however the picture of John Wayne is too distracting. It bares little resemblance to the man himself and it also seems to depict John Wayne from the incorrect angle as he throws no left punches in this movie.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Here 's a Japanese press kit for The Comancheros.
      i feel uneasy if my photo is taken good.
      big letter in Japanese is starring John Wayne ,The Comancheros.
      This press kit is a big size folded in four.

H.sanada
      Files
      • comanch1.JPG

(46.29 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

Great Western and also one of my Dad's favourite Western. Watched it recently and still love it. The dialogues between John Wayne and Stuart Whitman are well scripted and fun. Yes it's a shame that both haven't done anyother Buddy Western again. :teeth_smile:
      Lee Marvin with his scalped head looks a bit weird but he is memorable in his little role.
      The photography is astonishing like the action scenes and the music of Elmer Bernstein. The Comancheros might not be the best western with the best story ever but everytime an entertaining pleasure. :thumbs_up:
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

I heard or read somewhere that James Garner turned down the role of Paul Regret because he had just finished Maverick and didn't want to be type-cast as the slick western gambler. I imagine it could also be a case of one of the many actors who refused to work with John Wayne because of how small they would appear next to Duke.

James Garner and John Wayne would have made for a much better movie.

Can anyone think of another John Wayne movie that James Garner could have co-starred in? I suppose Garner could have easily done the journalist in The Green Berets. How about James Garner instead of Glenn Campbell in True Grit? What about as one of the brothers in The Sons of Katie Elder? I can't imagine any others from Garner's era that might have worked.

James Garner would be a great replacement for Stuart Whitman. The role of Regret reminded me on Maverick. Nevertheless the chemistry between Whitman and Duke is great in Comancheros.
      I'm thinking of another Movie in which James Garner would be a great replacement: Rio Lobo.
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)