The Comancheros (1961)

There are 179 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 173,563 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Wow, great images, Lasbugas! Thanks!

Looks like Fox is pulling out all the stops for their Comancheros blu-ray release on May 17:

The Comancheros will include audio commentary (by Stuart Whitman, Nehemiah Persoff, Michael Ansara and Patrick Wayne), 2 featurettes (The Comancheros and the Battle for the American Southwest and The Duke at Fox: A Two-Part Documentary), a vintage Comancheros comic book gallery, A Conversation with Stuart Whitman (Audio Only), Fox Movietonews: Claude King and Tillman Franks Receive Award for The Comancheros, theatrical trailers and 24-page book packaging.

Here is a small version of the package art. Hope I can find a bigger version soon.

• Looks great, can you please tell me what Blu ray really means, do i have to swap player for that, i have just brought a realy loverly Panasonic DVD recorder / player, i guess that means without Blu Ray, you cant bye this set ?

• Looks great, can you please tell me what Blu ray really means, do i have to swap player for that, i have just brought a realy loverly Panasonic DVD recorder / player, i guess that means without Blu Ray, you cant bye this set ?

Blu-ray is the next step beyond DVD, and you have to purchase a special player in order to play Blu-Ray discs. However, all Blu-Ray players can play standard DVD's with no problem.

• Also, if you're going to invest in a Blu-ray player, you will need the right television to go with it so you can take advantage of the much higher resolution Blu-ray offers. At minimum you should have a 40 inch high definition widescreen TV with 1080p resolution.

• Here's another write-up of the Blu-ray with a bigger picture:

The Comancheros (Blu-Ray) - 50th Anniversary Edition (1961)

Starring:
    John Wayne, Stuart Whitman, Lee Marvin, Edgar Buchanan, Gregg Palmer, Ina Balin, Nehemiah Persoff, Bruce Cabot, Don Brodie, Patrick Wayne, Henry Daniell, Ilana Dowding, Jack Elam, Joan O'Brien, Michael Ansara, Phil Arnold, Ralph Volkie, Richard Devon, Roger Mobley

Director: Michael Curtiz

Genre: Blu-Ray, Drama, Action & Adventure, Westerns

Year: 1961

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Length: 107 minutes

Release Date: May 17, 2011

Misc: Color, Widescreen, NTSC

Language: English(Original Language), Spanish(Subtitled), French(Dubbed), Spanish(Dubbed), English(Subtitled)

SYNOPSIS:
    In this explosive and absorbing wild west adventure, John Wayne stars as Captain Cutter, a fearless Texas Ranger determined to crush a violent gang of gunrunners and thieves known as Comancheros.

Through an unlikely turn of events, Cutter enlists the help of his own prisoners to accomplish his mission. Also featuring an all-star cast that includes Stuart Whitman, Lee Marvin, Edgar Buchanan and Patrick Wayne, and a catchy soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein, this fast-paced Western is pure entertainment from start to finish.

BONUS FEATURES:
    Audio Commentary by Stuart Whitman, Nehemiah Persoff, Michael Ansara and Patrick Wayne
    The Comancheros and the Battle for the American Southwest
    The Duke at Fox – A Two-Part Documentary
    Vintage Comancheros Comic Book Gallery
    Movie Tone News: Claude King and Tillman Franks Receive Award For The Comancheros
    Theatrical Trailers (English & Spanish)
    PLUS: 24 Page Collectible Book

• Thanks all, i think i might get one as its probably going to really enhance watching the movies a lot, they actually dont seem to be very expensive. Those Comancheros piccies really are fantastic arent they.

• Jessie, if you get Blu-ray, you won't be sorry. :)

Here are four screen captures from Blu-ray versions of John Wayne films. (Pics "borrowed" from Blu-ray.com.) :)

The Cowboys

The Green Berets

Rio Bravo

The Searchers

Having seen them all... The Cowboys is especially awesome looking in blu-ray. :) Of course nothing beats seeing the Duke on the big screen but that opportunity doesn't come around too often.

• OH The Cowboys, oh the one with all the kids, thats the first time i'v ever seen JW get killed, could 'nt believe it, i was in shock for days Paula !

• Thanks all, i think i might get one as its probably going to really enhance watching the movies a lot, they actually dont seem to be very expensive. Those Comancheros piccies really are fantastic arent they.

For what it's worth, you can get a good brand name Blu-ray player for just over $100 these days. I've got a Sony and it was about $160 a year and a half ago. Now, it's down to around $125 and it is worth it. You will be blown away by the picture quality. You'll think you're looking out your window and watching them shoot the film in your front yard.
    And looking at those photos Lasbugas posted. The one of Duke, Stuart Whitman and, Ina Balin. Wasn't Ms. Balin about as hot a woman as there ever was in Hollywood back then? Always thought she was simply beautiful.

You will be blown away by the picture quality. You'll think you're looking out your window and watching them shoot the film in your front yard.

That's exactly the reaction I have sometimes to watching Blu-rays, that the actors are right there in my living room instead of being on a screen. It's kind of weird at times! ;)