The Comancheros (1961)

There are 179 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 173,524 times. The latest Post () was by DCtheQuietMan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• question:at the attack on the Schofield ranch jim burke jumps up on a bag of grain in a wagon,he stands up getting ready to shoot his rifle and he gets shot.did he not know by doing this stupid thing that he won't get killed.they are lots of westerns like this that cowboys,indians put themselves out there to be killed.

Yes, they do it in loads of movies,
    come from behind cover and just stand there
    while being attacked.
    Oh for Hollywood!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Super as usual Bill. Guess you haven't run into any of Ward or Ward and Duke yet. I have all the Hondo ones....screen capped anyway. Back stage shots would be nice if close. Oh, forgot about your foot....we will just wait until it gets well and can negotiate the stairs better, LOL. Love your pics, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I'm posting what I believe to be a blue screen process shot. Both Duke and Whitman have their boots near a horizontal post. I couldn't detect it in the movie but the blue back screen in unnatural. Any help?

• Well, MB, you MAY run into one of him and Duke...who knows...have to heal the foot first anyway.

What a pic! I HAVE to see the COMANCHEROS!
    Oh, and just so you know, Ward didn't pass, he just galloped off with a gruff grin! YK

Hi, MK. I'm almost positive that I don't own a single still with Ward. He passed before I started collecting.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I'm posting what I believe to be a blue screen process shot. Both Duke and Whitman have their boots near a horizontal post. I couldn't detect it in the movie but the blue back screen in unnatural. Any help?

Good shot,and well spotted.
    I bet that's where they stood, then hung while the camera rolled etc!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• As I remember, they do a long shot of their doubles hanging, then a closeup-from the waste up-of the stars. I always thought they wer standing on something, one of Duke's arms didn't appear to be strained in the closeup.

• Well, I suppose they could have hung for that short a time. Duke's old football shoulder dislocation should have completely healed many years before. And he didn't hurt his shoulder again until he fell of his horse filming the Undefeated in '69. But, after seeing that picture, certainly looked like they had something to stand on if they needed it. Didn't look like Stuart was using it though. KEITH

• Well, I suppose they could have hung for that short a time. Duke's old football shoulder dislocation should have completely healed many years before. And he didn't hurt his shoulder again until he fell of his horse filming the Undefeated in '69. But, after seeing that picture, certainly looked like they had something to stand on if they needed it. Didn't look like Stuart was using it though. KEITH

Hard to tell with Whitman-the board appears to have 2 levels, with Duke on the top and Whitman's heals on the lower portion.

• I see what you mean Alamo, but even if his heels were on it, the way his body is must have still been quite a strain on him. KEITH

Hard to tell with Whitman-the board appears to have 2 levels, with Duke on the top and Whitman's heals on the lower portion.

• Maybe, or it's just acting. I think this is used in one of the closeups they shot, using just their upper halfs.