She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 200 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: What Duke film would you have liked to see a sequel of?

ringo kid wrote:

he did rejoin the army a bad ending,the ending should have been when he was riding out west,my opinion

I remember him rejoining as a scout but I thought he was riding away. Gees, I have to break it out and watch it again. I hate getting old!! HAHAHAHA!!
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

SXViper wrote:

Hard question, I always thought there was more to be seen from Dukes character in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon". He retires, he goes west, what adventures await him?? Just a thought.

This is from our opening post

'This was one of the performances which Wayne was proudest of for the rest of his life,
      although he maintained that Ford made a mistake in not concluding the film with Brittles
      retiring from the Army and riding off into the sunset.
      Instead, Ford insisted on tacking on a less bittersweet ending,
      with Brittles recalled back into the cavalry and given a promotion.'

So indeed it was intended he retired
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

This is from our opening post

'This was one of the performances which Wayne was proudest of for the rest of his life,
      although he maintained that Ford made a mistake in not concluding the film with Brittles
      retiring from the Army and riding off into the sunset.
      Instead, Ford insisted on tacking on a less bittersweet ending,
      with Brittles recalled back into the cavalry and given a promotion.'

So indeed it was intended he retired

That ending also removes the need for a sequal. We know what kind of man the character is, we know he is married to the service... Maybe Ford saw the posibility for another story with the other ending, but had no interest in persuing that....
      You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.
    • Re: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

My latest She Wore a Yellow Ribbon acquisition. :) We've all seen this photo before, but I really like this tinted version -- and it has Ben Johnson's autograph! ;)

Paula wrote:

My latest She Wore a Yellow Ribbon acquisition. :) We've all seen this photo before, but I really like this tinted version -- and it has Ben Johnson's autograph! ;)

Great Paula, thanks for posting
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Just added these two She Wore a Yellow Ribbon pics to my Ben Johnson page. The first one I have only as a digital pic, the second is modern reprint that I scanned.

Hi Paula, The funeral picture is one of the very best of Ward's old buddy, Frank McGrath, (Wagon Train's Charlie Wooster). He was the bugler in each one of the trilogy films. He was used because of his prowess with horses. As he was right next to the leader, he was seen all the time. He has his horse prance, rear, wheel, etc. So, Pappy had an extra horseman to add a little to SON's wonderful horsemanship.
      Pictures are great, thanks, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE