"Screen Directors Playhouse"-Rookie Of The Year (1955) (TV)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 19 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by capnralls.

• "Screen Directors Playhouse"-Rookie Of The Year (1955) (TV)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD
      EXECUTIVE PRODUCER-SIDNEY S. VAN KEUREN
      HAL ROACH STUDIOS PRODUCTION
      NBC TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
      Duke is a reporter, who recognizes a hot young baseball player(Patrick Wayne)
      is the son of a former famous, and infamous-ballplayer(Ward Bond),
      who was accused of throwing the World Series.
      Vera Miles, plays the ex-ballplayers daughter.
      summary by ethanedwards

Full Cast
      John Wayne ... Mike Cronin
      Vera Miles ... Ruth Dahlberg
      Ward Bond ... Buck Goodhue, alias Buck Garrison
      James Gleason ... Ed Shaeffer
      Patrick Wayne ... Lyn Goodhue (as Pat Wayne)
      Willis Bouchey ... Cully
      Harry Tyler ... Mr. White
      William Forrest ... Walker
      Robert Lyden ... Willie
      Tiger Fafara ... Bobby

Writing Credits
      W.R. Burnett (story)
      Frank S. Nugent (written by) (as Frank Nugent)

Cinematography
      Hal Mohr

Goof
      Lyn Goodhue is seen playing for the New York Yankees
      wearing the number 4 on his uniform.
      The Yankees retired No. 4 on July 4, 1939, to honor its original wearer Lou Gehrig

Filming Locations

Hal Roach Studios - 8822 Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Rookie of the Year is a half-hour baseball drama directed by John Ford
      and starring John Wayne, Vera Miles, Ward Bond, and Patrick Wayne,
      all of whom Ford would direct in The Searchers the following year.
      This film was an installment of the television anthology series Screen Director's Playhouse.

A sportswriter (John Wayne) realizes that a talented young rookie (Patrick Wayne)
      is the son a former player (Ward Bond) convicted of throwing a game.

Patrick Wayne would later play a similar role in a 1962 television drama,
      also directed by John Ford, called Flashing Spikes, starring James Stewart
      and featuring John Wayne in a lengthy surprise appearance.

Soon after completing The Searchers
      Duke joined his son Patrick, Vera Miles and Ward Bond, for an episode of,
      Screen Director's Playhouse, a TV series.
      John Ford had directed a segment, called Rookie of the Year

The show was aired on December 7th. 1955, and featured
      young Patrick in the title role.
      Duke accepted the part as a courtesy to his son, and his favourite director.

Duke was convinced that TV, was not for him!

I have this, on VHS, and is very grainy, and shaky,
      but interesting to have, and fun to watch.

User Review
      John's, Wayne and Ford do TV
      19 January 2011 | by Clay Loomis (Arroyo Grande, California)

I was excited when I saw this was going to be shown on TCM yesterday. I'm a huge John Wayne fan, and this was one of the very few things Wayne had done that I hadn't seen. It hadn't been seen on TV in over 50 years, and I was ready to be blown away. A 30 minute teleplay directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne, Ward Bond, and Vera Miles.

I guess I over-anticipated. With so much talent crammed into 30 minutes on the small screen, I think it just overwhelmed and smoked the script. Don't get me wrong, it was a decent watch, but Ford and Wayne avoided TV for good reason- they were just too big for the average 12 to 15 inch B&W screens of 1955 (anyone remember horizontal hold?).

The story was an overly sentimental tale of baseball, betrayal, and redemption. It also had a couple of rather cornball gimmicks thrown in, one of which was obviously placed there to make sure you stayed tuned in through the commercials.

A must see for fans of the John's, those who aren't fans won't need to keep an eye out for this episode of Screen Directors Playhouse next time it appears on TCM (and it WILL show up again). This was definitely not the best work of any of those involved.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Originally posted by chester7777@Sep 13 2003, 05:03 AM
      Baron,

Below is the description from an auction at Ebay, of two John Ford-directed TV shows that had John Wayne in them.  These appear in John Ford's IMDb profile, and there is mention of them in JW's profile at IMDb ([b]Flashing Spikes
      - 1962, is in the movies section at the top, Rookie of the Year - 1955 - is in Notable TV Guest Appearances at the bottom).  I notice you show Rookie of the Year as available on DVD - where would that be?  The only one I can find is the 1993 movie of the same title (cute movie, BTW).
      O.K.  Wait till you hear about this one!  This is one tape with two archival TV shows, ABOUT BASEBALL from the 1950's, directed by JOHN FORD. First show is, "Rookie of the Year", starring the DUKE - IN HIS FIRST TV DRAMATIC ROLE!!! In it, he plays a struggling past his prime sports writer, trying to get back to the big-time market by getting the "Big Story". The "Rookie" he discovers is played by non-other than real life son, PATRICK WAYNE (first professional role!!!), who has inadvertently let on, to Duke's character who he really is and how he is so talented, which provides the breaking news story this sports writer has been waiting for!! Also starring JAMES GLEASON, this one is only matched by the next show on this tape! In "Flashing Spikes", an episode of the award winning series, "Premier", hosted by FRED ASTAIR, JIMMY STEWART plays a fictional blacklisted ball player (ala Shoeless Joe Jackson), who aids a young up and coming naive pro baseball star (again Patrick Wayne!), This one is remarkable for many reasons, for instance, how about a very young DON DRYSDALE in his first dramatic role?, or 'Keep your eye on the ump', non other than, no I won't say, but I will say this, it's worth the price of the tape alone!! Also included are former pro baseball stars from before my time! I recognize some of the names in the credits, but I'll let the real baseball fans enjoy talking these guys up! Also starring TIGE ANDREWS, EDGAR BUCHANNON and JACK WARDEN, these TV shows are truly, "Gems From the Vault". HIGHEST QUALITY RECORDING transferred directly from a MASTER off the original print (Film). NOT A DUPE!!! No cover art.

We risked about $25 to find out if it's worth having, we'll let you know in a few weeks, when we've had a chance to receive and watch it.

Chester  B)
      [snapback]4519[/snapback]

[/b]

Thanks to Chester and Mrs.
      for the link.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Keith,

No problem, and here's our post after we received the movie -
      Originally posted by chester7777@Sep 19 2003, 09:59 PM
      Good evening, all!

That description is of a video that was on auction on Ebay, and even though it was a little pricey, I decided to go for it (hey, I spent that much on Tigrero, and at least this video was actually a JW movie - actually two).  Anyway, it arrived yesterday, and we had a chance to watch it tonight.  It was pretty good!

If you love baseball and John Wayne (and enjoy some of the other actors that you've come to enjoy with him), these two shows are for you.

[b]Rookie of the Year
      also has Ward Bond and Vera Miles.  It was a thirty minute show, and my wife and I, along with the 7 year old son, really enjoyed it.

Flashing Spikes was about an hour long, and a pretty engaging story.  Patrick Wayne and James Stewart were the main stars, but also in it, in bit parts, were Harry Carey Jr. and John Wayne (credited as Michael Morrison).

Both of these were directed by John Ford.

The tape was good quality, and is packaged by a company called Hollywood's Attic, which indicates on the back of the box (which is generic - the tape itself had the movie info on it) that they also carry Classics, Westerns, Foreign Films, Documentaries, Serials, Black Artists of the Silver Screen, and Family Films.

Perhaps this is available at a better price someplace else, but I feel I definitely got my money's worth.  (Anybody want to buy a slightly used copy of Tigrero  :uhuh: ?)

Chester  :cowboy:  and the Mrs.  :rolleyes:
      [snapback]4649[/snapback]
      [/b]

Chester :newyear:
    • Hi,

Here's Arthurs post, I've copied, to bring this topic up to date,
      Originally posted by arthurarnell@Feb 3 2006, 07:14 AM
      Hi

The copy I have of Rookie of the year is not of the best quality, but again it is a watchable film with John Wayne playing the investigating reporter on the trail of a hot story.
      Regards

Arthur
      [snapback]26386[/snapback]

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: "Screen Directors Playhouse"-Rookie Of The Year (1955)

I liked it myself, nice change for Duke. I don't know where that description of him not being in it much and being an umpire, came from. Duke was the whole show with nice support from the others!

alamo221 wrote:

I liked it myself, nice change for Duke. I don't know where that description of him not being in it much and being an umpire, came from. Duke was the whole show with nice support from the others!

Thanks for pointing that out,
      The description is
      from Duke: The Life and Image of John Wayne
      where it clearly states:-
      Duke made only a brief appearance as an umpire.
      Duke accepted the part as a courtesy to his son, and his favourite director.
      Duke was convinced that TV, was not for him!

Like youself I have watched the show, after posting the initial post.
      I can only assume, that the author was thinking of something else!
      I have edited the post accordingly.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().

ethanedwards wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out,
      The description is
      from Duke: The Life and Image of John Wayne
      where it clearly states:-

Like youself I have watched the show, after posting the initial post.
      I can only assume, that the author was thinking of something else!
      I have edited the post accordingly.

It's probably a reference to "Flashing Spikes" where Duke is credited with playing "Sergeant-Umpire in Korea."

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

ejgreen77 wrote:

It's probably a reference to "Flashing Spikes" where Duke is credited with playing "Sergeant-Umpire in Korea."

ej,
      you're almost certainly right,
      as the same book has no mention of
      Flashing Spikes
      nor any other books that I have!
      See my post on that thread

ethanedwards; wrote:

I do not have a copy of this, and there is very,
      little information, in any reference books.
      If you have seen or have a copy of this screening,
      please let us know,
      thanks.

I can only assume as I said, that the author got confused.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

ethanedwards wrote:

ej,
      you're almost certainly right,
      as the same book has no mention of
      Flashing Spikes
      nor any other books that I have!
      See my post on that thread

I can only assume as I said, that the author got confused.

Yeah, both are TV shows, both directed by John Ford, both are about baseball, and both feature Duke and Pat Wayne. Pretty easy to see how it could happen.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!