"Alcoa Premiere"-Flashing Spikes (1962) (TV)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• "Alcoa Premiere"-Flashing Spikes (1962) (TV)

FLASHING SPIKES

DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD
      PRODUCED BY FRANK BAUR
      AVASTA PRODUCIONS
      ABC TELEVISION

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
      An old ballplayer, thrown out of baseball due to a bribery scandal,
      becomes friends with a young phenom.
      The younger player is at first tainted by his association with the oldtimer,
      but eventually the truth about the scandal is revealed.
      Summary written by Jim Beaver

Episode Cast
      John Wayne .... Sergeant-Umpire in Korea
      James Stewart .... Slim Conway
      Patrick Wayne .... Bill Riley
      Tige Andrews .... Gabby Lasalle
      Larry J. Blake .... 1st Reporter
      Willis Bouchey .... Mayor
      Edgar Buchanan .... Crab Holman
      Whitey Campbell .... Player
      Harry Carey Jr. .... Player in Dugout
      Don Drysdale .... Gomer
      Earl Gilpin .... Player
      Bud Harden .... Player
      William Henry .... Commissioner's Assistant
      Stephanie Hill .... Mary Riley
      Sally Hughes .... Nurse
      Cy Malis .... Bit Man
      Charles Morton .... Umpire
      Art Passarella .... Umpire
      Walter Reed .... 2nd Reporter
      Bing Russell .... Hogan
      Vin Scully .... Announcer
      Charles Seel .... Judge
      Vern Stephens .... Player
      Ralph Volkie .... Player
      Jack Warden .... Commissioner
      Carleton Young .... Rex Short

Writing Credits
      Jameson Brewer adaptation
      Frank O'Rourke novel

Original Music
      John Williams (as Johnny T. Williams)

Cinematography
      William H. Clothier

Filming Location
      Revue Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA

Watch this Clip

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKu1Z-AUsw8[/extendedmedia]
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 13 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Flashing Spikes is a 1962 teleplay directed by John Ford
      and starring James Stewart, with a lengthy surprise appearance by John Wayne,
      billed in the credits as "Michael Morris" (apparently based on Wayne's birth name "Marion Michael Morrison").
      The hour-long drama revolving around a disgraced ex-baseball player (Stewart)
      was broadcast as an episode of the anthology series Alcoa Premiere hosted by Fred Astaire.

The script was based upon a novel by Frank O'Rourke
      and the supporting cast includes Jack Warden, Tige Andrews,
      Patrick Wayne, Don Drysdale, Vin Scully,
      Harry Carey, Jr., and Edgar Buchanan.
      The Director of Photography was William H. Clothier.

This show's director John Ford, actors James Stewart and John Wayne,
      and cinematographer William H. Clothier
      also filmed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance together the same year.

Ford had also directed a half-hour baseball television drama shown on
      Screen Director's Playhouse in 1955 with an extremely similar theme,
      Rookie of the Year, also with Patrick Wayne
      as the phenomenal young player but with his father John Wayne,
      Vera Miles, and Ward Bond in the leads, all of whom Ford
      would direct in The Searchers the following year.

Flashing Spikes remains available for public viewing at the
      Paley Center for Media in New York City and Los Angeles.

I do not have a copy of this, and there is very,
      little information, in any reference books.
      If you have seen or have a copy of this screening,
      please let us know,
      thanks.

User Review
      A piece of television history!
      27 February 2001 | by (San Diego, California)

This is such a great piece of television history that has all but been forgotten. It is the only thing that John Ford ever directed for television! It is 50 minutes of fun starring Jimmy Stewart, Tige Andrews, Jack Warden and a whole list of others including a cameo by John Wayne. Fred Astaire was in it too and narrated it. Baseball legends Don Drysdale, Vin Scully and Harry Carry Jr. were also in it.

It is a fun tangential story about the famous incident in baseball history that "almost destroyed the game of baseball." One of the players who was accused of throwing a world series (Jimmy Stewart, playing Slim Conway) is banned from all baseball stadiums in America! He still loves baseball and played on a team called the wanderers who went around playing other minor league teams. He meets and befriends Bill Riley (Patrick Wayne). He likes his potential and tells the famous Gabby La Salle (Tige Andrews) to give him a chance in spring training.

Gabby is the flamboyant, once player now manager who is characterized after a famous Giants manager. The season is interrupted by the war, and gets back on track after. Find out what really happenned with one of baseball's biggest controversies as this tangential story enfolds. A great, great show
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• We do own this movie, as well as Rookie of the Year.

Having discussed them in a much earlier thread, I'll just give the link so you can read all the thread has to offer (the LINK will be directly to my post in the thread, as it is relavent to the topic at hand).

Make sure to go to page 2 of the thread, where we tell about receiving the tape, and how it was :D .

HERE'S another link, for an additional thread with comments about the show Flashing Spikes.

Here's one more post with mention of Flashing Spikes.

It's been at least a couple of years since we watched either film, so I don't have a particular memory of them except that we enjoyed them. I wanted to pull them out last year, around the time of the World Series, but never got around to it.

As with some other more obsure Duke offerings, we think these are worth obtaining and watching, and are a reasonable (and enjoyable) part of any John Wayne collection.

Chester :newyear:
    • Originally posted by chester7777@Sep 13 2003, 05:03 AM
      Baron,

Below is the description from an auction at Ebay, of two John Ford-directed TV shows that had John Wayne in them.  These appear in John Ford's IMDb profile, and there is mention of them in JW's profile at IMDb ([b]Flashing Spikes
      - 1962, is in the movies section at the top, Rookie of the Year - 1955 - is in Notable TV Guest Appearances at the bottom).  I notice you show Rookie of the Year as available on DVD - where would that be?  The only one I can find is the 1993 movie of the same title (cute movie, BTW).
      O.K.  Wait till you hear about this one!  This is one tape with two archival TV shows, ABOUT BASEBALL from the 1950's, directed by JOHN FORD. First show is, "Rookie of the Year", starring the DUKE - IN HIS FIRST TV DRAMATIC ROLE!!! In it, he plays a struggling past his prime sports writer, trying to get back to the big-time market by getting the "Big Story". The "Rookie" he discovers is played by non-other than real life son, PATRICK WAYNE (first professional role!!!), who has inadvertently let on, to Duke's character who he really is and how he is so talented, which provides the breaking news story this sports writer has been waiting for!! Also starring JAMES GLEASON, this one is only matched by the next show on this tape! In "Flashing Spikes", an episode of the award winning series, "Premier", hosted by FRED ASTAIR, JIMMY STEWART plays a fictional blacklisted ball player (ala Shoeless Joe Jackson), who aids a young up and coming naive pro baseball star (again Patrick Wayne!), This one is remarkable for many reasons, for instance, how about a very young DON DRYSDALE in his first dramatic role?, or 'Keep your eye on the ump', non other than, no I won't say, but I will say this, it's worth the price of the tape alone!! Also included are former pro baseball stars from before my time! I recognize some of the names in the credits, but I'll let the real baseball fans enjoy talking these guys up! Also starring TIGE ANDREWS, EDGAR BUCHANNON and JACK WARDEN, these TV shows are truly, "Gems From the Vault". HIGHEST QUALITY RECORDING transferred directly from a MASTER off the original print (Film). NOT A DUPE!!! No cover art.

We risked about $25 to find out if it's worth having, we'll let you know in a few weeks, when we've had a chance to receive and watch it.

Chester  B)
      [snapback]4519[/snapback]

[/b]

Thanks Jim, and Mrs. Chester,

And here is your thread,in its full glory, thanks for the link,
      and once again, it's good to get all these discussions, under one roof,
      I'll post this in ROOKIE OF THE YEAR,as well,
      being that it's relevant to both!

Best Wishes,
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • FLASHING SPIKES

Flashing Spikes
      by Quentin Turnour

Quentin Turnour is a Melbourne-based freelance writer, researcher, curator and occasional lecturer in Cinema, with a special interest in Australian Cinema. He is also co-curator of the Melbourne Cinémathèque.
      Things turn ugly in a small town when one of a barnstorming team of veteran baseballers is recognised as Slim Conway (Jimmy Stewart), a notorious, now banned star once at the centre of a Major League bribery scandal. Riley, the star of the local high school team (Pat Wayne again) is at first spiteful, inflicting Conway with baseball's ultimate insult (a favourite of Ty Cobb's) – “spiking” him with upturned baseball cleats. Yet they develop a friendship beyond the game. Conway mentors, Riley rises to brilliance and, quickly, he's playing in the World Series. Then celebrity sports columnist Rex Short (Carleton Young) spies the two together in a stadium car-park and accuses Riley of taking a bribe from Conway. “Once a crook, always a crook…” observes one of the trilby-topped gentlemen of the sports-press, as so often in Ford loitering about the hearing in a bilious chorus. But there is redemption. The “bribe” is revealed to be a map to Conway's Florida fishing spot, Rex Short is discredited and Conway vindicated in a lasting sense, as it is revealed that his banning was the result of perjured testimony.

Author;-Tony,sandiegofamilyr:  from San Diego, California.From IMdb
      This is such a great piece of television history that has all but been forgotten. It is the only thing that John Ford ever directed for television! It is 50 minutes of fun starring Jimmy Stewart, Tige Andrews, Jack Warden and a whole list of others including a cameo by John Wayne. Fred Astaire was in it too and narrated it. Baseball legends Don Drysdale, Vin Scully and Harry Carry Jr. were also in it.

It is a fun tangential story about the famous incident in baseball history that "almost destroyed the game of baseball." One of the players who was accused of throwing a world series (Jimmy Stewart, playing Slim Conway) is banned from all baseball stadiums in America! He still loves baseball and played on a team called the wanderers who went around playing other minor league teams. He meets and befriends Bill Riley (Patrick Wayne). He likes his potential and tells the famous Gabby La Salle (Tige Andrews) to give him a chance in spring training.

Gabby is the flamboyant, once player now manager who is characterized after a famous Giants manager. The season is interrupted by the war, and gets back on track after. Find out what really happenned with one of baseball's biggest controversies as this tangential story enfolds. A great, great show

Here's at least 2 reviews, about the film.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: "Alcoa Premiere"-Flashing Spikes (1962)

Mike,

My link, in the post just previous to yours, is still good . . . it is ONLY on VHS, as near as I can tell, but I must say that we really enjoyed both movies that are on the cassette. I think the price is quite reasonable, and the shows are worthy of being in a John Wayne collection.

As near as I can tell, neither title is available commercially on DVD.

Chester :newyear:

Hi

i don't know if its available in the States but I have a DVD copy of Rookie of the Year and Flashing Spike. I got it from the Film Society and its a Sherwood Video Release.
      Thinking about it I think this must be The John Wayne Film Society own company although I could be wrong.

The reasons for this are the Societies headquarters are in Sutton in Asfield which is by Mansfield and Nottingham which is also around Sherwood Forest - hence a Sherwood release. perhaps Kieth has more information on this.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

I am completely unfamiliar with this program. Could anyone tell me what this TV show was about. I have found no information on this at all. I'm not particularly interested in Duke's role on this but the overall concept of the show.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

Hondo Duke Lane wrote:

I am completely unfamiliar with this program. Could anyone tell me what this TV show was about. I have found no information on this at all. I'm not particularly interested in Duke's role on this but the overall concept of the show.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Mike,
      As I mentioned in the opening post,
      it's very difficult to find anything about this one.
      I only found the picture last month,
      considering how long ago I made the thread!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().