Rio Grande (1950)

There are 171 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 165,108 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thank you for these details that show your knowledge in this field. I did not think too much when I answered because I did not know they could still use a master in 35 mm film.
    In this case, apart from the problem of format, quality can be very good.

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• I do not doubt your word, Paula! But I'm sorry because I do not have Blu-Ray ... :ohwell:

• :omg:

Very nice photo. Unpublished for me. thank you.

One alone regret, the mast (?) that shares the image in two!

Edited once, last by Romy ().

• From the November 1950 issue of a magazine called Movie Stars Parade -- the cast of Rio Grande takes a break from filming and attends a broadcast of Rex Allen's nationally syndicated radio show at the Moab, Utah high school auditorium. :)

• :wink_smile:

Thank you Paula. I saw a small photo of Maureen. If you have others, do not hesitate!!!

• Romy, I clipped the two Maureen photos from the article above so you can have bigger versions. Also, here is the one Rio Grande photo I have with Maureen (I think it's been posted here before but I don't feel like looking for it.) :)

• Rex Allen was a very popular singer, actor and songwriter. He had a very pleasing baritone voice and did a lot of narration for Disney films too. Here is his biography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Allen

He and Ben Johnson made another movie together, Tomboy and the Champ (which just came out on DVD from VCI Classics). Rex has a small role in it -- he sings an encouraging song to the 13-year-old heroine who is upset that her bull did not win a championship.

• Have to say I really enjoyed this after I considered She Wore a Yellow Ribbon fairly disappointing as I thought it dragged and was quite boring. This however was thoroughly entertaining, I enjoyed the story between Duke his son and Maureen, and the last half hour and the raid on the Indians was also really enjoyable. Johnson and McLaglen were great in support and I also enjoyed Harry Carey Jr. which is a surprise as I find his acting can be quite irritating especially in his younger days as he was learning the ropes. Another thoroughly enjoyable film from the Duke and Ford.

Another thoroughly enjoyable film from the Duke and Ford.

You have to watch Fort Apache now, then the cavalry trilogy is complete...

Have to say I really enjoyed this after I considered She Wore a Yellow Ribbon fairly disappointing as I thought it dragged and was quite boring.

She wore a Yellow Ribbon is my favourite Duke movie! A wonderful movie about getting old, and how old persons with all their expierence can be important for the human society... I did not like Rio Grande that much, as I was younger (allthough I always loved the Cavalry Trilogy and these movies inspired me to start riding horses as I was twelve years old). The older I get, the more I like Rio Grande. I have the original black and white version and a colorized version on DVD at home and from time to time I watch them again and again. It is a great story and a wonderful western movie!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."