Rio Grande (1950)

There are 171 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 165,307 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :wink_smile:

J'adore la première photo relative au film. Je suis moins fana de la seconde !

Merci pour ce cadeau !

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• I have watched the new standard DVD and Blu-ray of Rio Grande from Olive Films.

This looks to be a new transfer and it looks very nice. Comparing the new DVD to the old one from Artisan, the image looks a bit more stable with a bit more detail and a little brighter. However, there's no need to rush out to replace your old DVD, it still looks pretty good too. Also, the Artisan DVD had a commentary by Maureen O'Hara which is not on the new DVD, so that's another reason to hang onto the old one. The "Making of Rio Grande" featurette with Leonard Maltin (and interviews with Michael Wayne, Harry Carey, Jr. and Ben Johnson) on the old DVD is included on the new one, so that's good -- the but new DVD's menu lists it as "The Making of High Noon." Oops!

However, both old and new DVDs are left in the dust by the new Blu-ray, which is really beautiful. Just amazing clarity and detail. You feel like the actors are right there in your living room, and you can almost feel the texture of the fabric of their shirts, the dust, the leather of the saddles.

It's pretty obvious that no extra digital clean-up was done on this transfer; it has a number of flecks and lines showing print damage, but this is minor and won't interfere with your enjoyment of the film.

To sum up: The new Blu-ray is the optimal way now to see Rio Grande at home. But if you don't have a Blu-ray player, then either one of the standard DVDs is OK.

And now the latest addition to my Ben Johnson webpage (http:benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com). Enjoy! :)

• So finally sat down and watched my, somewhat tardy, copy of Rio Grande on Olive Films Blu Ray.
    What a wonderful, wonderful film, I love it more each time I see it, made all the more special having been to Monument Valley earlier this year.
    So we know the film is a true classic, so how does the transfer compare to the DVD?
    Sorry guys but it's time to put your hands in your pockets again: The transfer is gorgeous!

I have done my duty as one of the resident 'geeks' on the forum and watched the same scenes on the DVD and Blu Ray flicking from one to the other... There is no comparison.
    Even from the start when the children run out to greet the returning soldiers you can clearly see the difference. The DVD is far too bright and blasts out all the detail, on Blu ray you can see the patten on the children's dresses which appear virtually white on the DVD.

The actual picture quality is also a huge leap forward. IMO I would say it's at least a 60% improvement on the DVD if not more. The sound is also pretty good too.

Short but sweet, it's a must buy.

Really excited now about the upcoming early republic releases!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Edited 2 times, last by Dooley ().

• Hi Paula, going through a friend's site and blogs and found this....do you have it? Anyway, I asked if you could use it and she said yes. Also, she has a bit on BEN and would like to see your site about him. I will put yall in touch if you would email me at [email protected]. She wrote a fantastic piece on Ward, (how we met), and I add to it here and there as do others. She was most appreciative on the piece I wrote about Ward's Death and what I shared and gave credit to JWMB about the movies he and Duke were
    in. Even if you have the pic, email me. I think you will like her stuff, and she is interested in yours on Ben. You can use anyone of her writing if you want...she will tell you how to credit her, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Rio Grande....love the Roman Riding! Heck love the whole movie. And sure wish Pappy had used Ken Curtis more for singing than he did. His voice just "fit" in the Westerns! And surprisingly he did not use Dobe more. Dobe tried a singing career before the silver screen, and he had a beautiful voice.

Keith

• Thanks Paula, saved a couple for my sketches I am giving away on the Group Watch. If you have any good ones of Ben....closeups, or whatever, send them to me. Thanks, Keith I know, I HAVE to get over to your site again. But, between this and regular work, I am covered up at the time.
    Thanks again, great captures!

• :wink_smile:

I saw and reviewed this beautiful film, compensation for another wonderful film (The Quiet Man).
    Thank you Paula

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• Hi Paula,
    Oh, I pulled up the site....takes a while in IE....have to replace it with
    Google Chrome. Just have been working on Mark's drawing and haven't gotten
    to it as of yet. Thought of a fanTAStic idea for an already VERY difficult
    drawing for me. I have tried and it is going to work GREAT! I think Mark
    will LOVE IT........hope so, anyway. Won't ever find anything like it
    anywhere else.

Need to find a site that shows Duke's handwriting....any ideas?

Anyway, your site is up.....I will go a save some good Sketch possiblities.
    Thanks.

Hmmmmm, only time I ever drew females were two childrens' faces close and
    one had braces.....uncle wanted the pic without the braces. Had No trouble
    drawing the kids, but BOY, did it take me forever to get that child's mouth
    right, LOL! Guess I should venture into the female sketching world.
    However, not much fun for me......MUCH prefer the male subjects, HAH!

Hope no one is expecting professional work. I just sketch! Never studied,
    just have liked to sketch all my life. After almost totally no sketching
    for about 25 years, it is coming back, albeit slowly. Choosing the
    difficult one for Mark was not the smartest thing this dumb broad has ever
    done. But, now I am glad I did. With the idea I came up with, AND the over
    and over again drawing of this....most of the rest should be easy!

HAGO, Keith