Hondo (1954)

There are 182 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 136,463 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

This film was released on DVD in the UK on Monday. along with The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky. I picked it up for £10 as I was collecting the other two. Comes complete with a poster for the film but at first glance it looks foreign.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Not one of Duke's best westerns. The first half is better, nice scenes between Wayne and Ward Bond, and the best in the whole movie is when Duke throws the boy into water. I also like the dog. Geraldine Page irritates me and her relationship with Duke's character is unexciting. Hondo should remain an angry, but capable outsider, that would make the movie much more interesting

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Hi etsija

I think Hondo suffered a bit by being made in 3D. I do still find it an enjoyable western to watch.

I agree with your comments on Geraldine Page. Apparently, she stank of BO and had the breath of a sewer and the film company had to spend a fortune on sending her to a dentist to fix her teeth. Makes you appreciate what a professional Duke was and how he kept his face straight when he says the line about being able "to smell her" is beyond me.

Mike

• Still one of my favorite Duke westerns. Adding this because feel that all later critic comments are unfair to this movie.
    Regards,
    Senta

I agree with you Senta, one of my favorites as well; there are several movies I like better, but Hondo Lane is one my favorite Duke characters. I thought there was a lot of good story packed into the short running time.

ethanedwards
    However, Duke maintained, that the popularity of the very similar film Shane(also 1953) took the edge off Hondo.
    The movie opened to favorable reviews, and did well, making enormous profits
    across Europe and Japan.

This is taken from my initial post,
    and Michael Wayne, just about sums it up.
    Still one of my favourites.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I'm surprised Gerladine Page received an Oscar nomination, Jean Arthur gavea far better performance as the mother in Shane. Maybe it was just because it was one of her first films. Certainly there was no love lost between her and Duke.

• At least Geraldine got a brand new set of teeth courtesy of Batjac. Shame she didnt wash to often and reeked of BO and had breath like a sewer. Duke deserved a Oscar for kissing her.

Never liked Shane Jack Palance is about the best thing in it. Alan Ladd Yuk When I heard about the trenches they had to dig for his leading ladies to stand in that topped it.

Didn't Hondo inspire a TV series as well?

Mike

Mike

• Hi Mike,

Yes it was and here is some info:-

Hondo TV Series

Cast:

Ralph Taeger as Hondo Lane,
    Buddy Foster as Johnny Dow,
    Gary Clarke,as Captain Richards
    William Bryant as Col.Crook,
    Kathie Browne as Angie Dow,
    Noah Beery as Buffalo Baker,
    Michael Pate as,Chief Vittoro

Orginal run of show:September 1967 to December 1967 on ABC

Note:

The epsisodes are listed in the order shown on TNT ('92) The first 2 episodes were made into the movie "Hondo and the Apaches" (or vice versa)

Episode Titles:

1. Hondo and the Eagle Claw
    2. Hondo and the War Cry
    3. Hondo and the Singing wire
    4. Hondo and the Superstition Massacre
    5. Hondo and the Savage
    6. Hondo and the Apache Kid
    7. Hondo and the War Hawks
    8. Hondo and the Mad Dog
    9. Hondo and the Judas
    10. Hondo and the Comancheros
    11. Hondo and the Sudden Town