Hondo (1954)

There are 182 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 135,497 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I watched Hondo for the first time last week, I quite enjoyed it,although it was short, I believe, it showed Duke at his best :)

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• While I enjoyed the Hondo trailer, I really enjoyed reading the article about John Wayne (six parts in all). Interesting that there was more mention of his second marriage, and passing mention of his third, but no mention whatsoever of his first marriage.

More importantly, however, it is an excellent listing of the many times Duke appeared on television throughout his career. It would be interesting to check the article against some of the lists of TV appearances our members have posted (Elly and Colorado Bob come to mind). If I'd have been as big a JW fan in the sixties and seventies as I am now, I would have been a happy camper, as many times as he was on the small screen.

Chester :newyear:

• i really enjoyed Hondo - a proper old fashioned cowboy and indian film, beautiful scenery and a touch of romance thrown in as well. i enjoyed the special features on the dvd as well as i knew nothing about ward bond before

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Hi Everyone

a while back I bought a copy of the 3D version of Hondo that was shown on US television a long while back. I bought the glasses, in fact managed to get the very ones that I beleive were sold or given away at a big supermarket chain at the time of this showing.

Well I was a bit disappointed because to me it just seemed out of focus and the glasses gave me a headache.

I keep reading that the original 3D print has been restored and shown at a few premieres etc.

WHEN are we going to get a proper 3D version on DVD?

Who do we have to plague to get it? You might have thought that as it is hailed as one of the very best 3D films ever that a special release to celebrate JW 100th birthday would have been forthcoming.

I would pay well over the odds for this and I know MANY other would do the same. After all, I was one of those that paid over the odds for copies of 70mm version of Big Trail, several times, only to discover it being released on commercial DVD a few months later. (now have the commercial DVD, thanks to my good buddy Colorado Bob.)

I do have a couple of 3D pictures one of which is from Hondo.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I would also love to have a commercial 3-D version of Hondo. I love the film. and would pay good to get a great copy in 3-D.

Elly, did your 3-D glasses look like this?

I got them back in the early 90's when Hondo was shown on TV in 3-D. If I remember correctly, Burger King sold them. Like you, I wasn't overly impressed with the showing on TV. That is why I would love to see it done properly and released on DVD in it's original 3-D. I hope Batjac does in the near future. I feel it would sell a whole lot of copies.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hello Mark

Yes! the glasses were exactly like this! I won them on ebay cost me $25.00 including shipping. when they and the film arrived I invited some friends had a barbie, and a "premiere". So was doubly disappointed that is was not very good.

Batjac should be aware that there are thousands of 3D film collectors, not neccessarily JW fans who really rate this film and would also pay good money for a copy.

Perhaps we all should start writing to Batjac, anyone got the contact details please?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Quote from SPARTAN

Did the cinema release of Hondo contain a pre-credit fight sequence...showing how the Duke lost his horse?

I discovered the above question, from 2007, tucked away in a thread totally unrelated to the movie Hondo, and it was never answered. I don't know if SPARTAN is still around, but I am curious to see if anyone knows the answer.

Chester :newyear:

• John Ford visits director John Farrow and producer/star
    John Wayne on the Mexican location for HONDO in 1953.
    In fact, Ford wound up shooting some action scenes for the film.
    (photo courtesy of Batjac Productions)

Leonard Matlin.
    Then, earlier this month, I was honored to be asked to host a screening of Hondo (1953) at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Hondo is one of the few major films of its time that couldn’t be shown at the World 3D Film Festival in recent years, so hardly anyone has seen it projected in 3D since its original release. There was a television airing in anaglyph red-green 3D in 1991, and of course the film itself is now available on DVD . This past spring, however, Gretchen Wayne, who now runs Batjac (the company her father-in-law founded and her late husband Michael Wayne headed), presented a new, state-of-the-art digital version of the 3D western at the Cannes Film Festival. Apparently it was a sensation, and completely sold out.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• A photo of John Wayne in Hondo, from the July 1997 issue of Arizona Highways magazine, which had a cover story (Tom Mix on the cover) about westerns shot in Arizona.

• The first John Wayne movie I ever saw. I absolutely love it and it'll remain one of my favorite Duke movies for both reasons.

It has pretty much everything a good western needs. It had an interesting love story, fighting scenes, nice scenery and lots of gun battles. Classic American western from this era IMO. I liked the humor in the movie, too. It had a whole bunch of humorous scenes for us to enjoy. I think my personal favorite is when Hondo learns that the boy can't swim and simply grab him and throw him into the lake When he learns that his mother can't swim either, she runs away, scared to death that he'd do the same to her Classic stuff.

It's been a while since I saw Hondo, I think I'll watch it again this weekend.

P.S. I took a picture last time I watched it, which is now my signature pic. I have to say it turned out great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]