Hondo (1954)

There are 182 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 136,414 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :wink_smile:

Always very interesting documents, real museum pieces. Lasbugas thank you very much!

In addition, the latter are in French!

:thumbs_up:

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• Anybody remember that scene where the Indian stabbed Sam ( the dog ) with his spear then stood there smileing? When i first saw that i was like: Wow! that's almost graphic for a movie of this timeframe! Kinda hoping Hondo would have chased after him! Great Movie! One of my favorites! ( just not a fan of 3D ) bill

• Has anyone heard anything about any possible 3D DVD or Blu-Ray releases for this movie? I know it was restored and exhibited theatrically in 3D around the time the 2D DVD was released. With the growing popularity of 3D TV's, I wonder if a 3D version will be released sometime in the future.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Amazon is listing a Blu-ray release for Hondo, but without a release date. Paramount has not yet made an official announcement either.

No mention of whether this Blu-ray will include the 3-D version. They really should, since 3-D players and televisions are now available. Actually I'd love to see this re-released into theaters since so many are now 3-D enabled, too.

• Some information about the upcoming Hondo Blu-ray, from Toby at the great blog 50 Westerns from the '50s:

Just received some press information on the upcoming Hondo (1953) Blu-ray. It’ll be presented in anamorphic widescreen, a significant upgrade over the old DVD (there’s also those extra lines and pixels and stuff).

3-D pictures back then typically gave projectionists the option of a standard (1.33) or cropped (1.85) presentation. If you’ve ever studied the Hondo DVD, or played around with the zoom on your 16×9 TV, you know what a difference the cropping will make.

http://fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com/

• I know that I would love to see this on the big screen in 3D! That would be awesome! I don't think, however, that they will ever do that, so I'll just have to be content with watching it on my TV. Since it is such a great film though, that's just fine for me!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Very interesting thread about the new Blu-ray of Hondo at Home Theater Forum.

http://www.hometheaterforum.co…ds-about-hondo-in-blu-ray

Thanks Paula,
    another great nugget of info.
    I am looking forward to Hondo arriving even more so now!
    Olive films still haven't listed Rio Grande or Johnny Guitar on their website yet, although they're all over Amazon etc, how strange is that.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Amazon is listing a Blu-ray release for Hondo, but without a release date. Paramount has not yet made an official announcement either.

No mention of whether this Blu-ray will include the 3-D version. They really should, since 3-D players and televisions are now available. Actually I'd love to see this re-released into theaters since so many are now 3-D enabled, too.

Well, I'll have to get a CD player that plays Blu-Ray. Hondo is one of my favorite Duke movies. An enhanced version will likely drive me up the wall--in a nice way.

• Well, I'll have to get a CD player that plays Blu-Ray. Hondo is one of my favorite Duke movies. An enhanced version will likely drive me up the wall--in a nice way.

It's well worth it if you enjoy the Duke's films and watch them repeatedly.
    The Rio Lobo transfer is fantastic, so much so that it actually added lots to the viewing pleasure. No mean feat as the film isn't one of the Duke's best. :)

• Reviews of the Hondo Blu-ray, with lots of pics. ;)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/…ws18/hondo_dvd_review.htm

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hondo-Blu-ray/37009/#Review (make sure to click on the "screenshots" button at this review -- 30 frame grabs from the Blu-ray will display)

Hi Paula,

you've raised the bar once again on your info gathering!

I really hope my copy of Hondo is by the front door when I get home so I can enjoy it over the weekend!

• Here's an interview with Gretchen Wayne (Michael's widow) about the new Blu-ray of Hondo. She also discusses True Grit (old and new) and other titles she'd like to see on Blu-ray.

http://www.hometheaterforum.co…-blu-ray-release-of-hondo

Very good interview, Paula, Thank You for bring it here for us to read.

Chester :newyear:

• I just viewed the movie on Blu-ray. Let me first say that it was really great on that format. It was just great to see this movie again, and the picture quality was breath-taking. And the sound was wonderful.

Now for the not so good news. The movie is in widescreen format. What they did and I assume it was Paramount Pictures since they distributed the movie. Instead of adding more of the picture in panoramic view, the actually cut the top and bottom of the screen in the aspect they wanted for the widescreen. It this movie was actually done in wide screen or not, is another story. I, of course not around when the movie was released in 1953, so I do not have a personal reference as to what was shone back then.

I do have the VHS and DVD copy of the movie. I did not watch those formats last night, but I was under the impression that this movie was going to put back into its original format that was shone at the threater back in 1953. When indeed it was not. I saw a review that they showed an earlier screen shot of the movie (either in DVD or VHS) and the Blu-ray version where the top and bottom were cut to give the impression of the widescreen format.

Very disappointing in my opinion. I kinda feel robbed that they cut a part of the movie out for my viewing. But again, it was great to see this movie. I think in the near future they will put it in 3D, so I hope they either find that true widescreen version or put it back it on VHS/DVD.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote