Pinned Duke's Movie Quotes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 167 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Robbie.

• Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Jun 9 2003, 05:43 PM
      Well,

I like Duke in [b]Big Jake
      when serveral times in the movie, when was asked who he was and he told them Jacob McCandles, they would always say, "I thought you were dead"  McCandles then would say, "Not Hardly!"  Great line.

Also in the same movie, Wayne says to Fain when Fain opens the ransom box, "Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobody's fault.  It don't matter.  I'm gonna blow your head off.  It's as simple as that.... No matter what else happens.  No matter who gets killed. I'm gonna blow your head off."

Hondo  B)
      Duke Head [/b]

The line from "True Grit" where Rooster Cogburn says:
      "Fill your hand you son-of-a-bitch"

This is the best climax of all the John Wayne movies, I think

Jwfan
    • Two others come to mind for me:

1) In Donovan's Reef he asks the doc's daughter if she hurt her "self" after she fell out of the jeep.

2) In The Quiet Man Mary Kate says that it's a pretty cottage to which Sean simply replies "I think so" in a very humble and loving manner.

JW had a way of delivering a simple line and making it have special meaning.
    • Guys and Gals, although there are many 2 lines always stick out for me and I always have wanted to get into somekind of predicament where I could use them. One is the line mentioned before from Big Jake--my fault, your fault, nobodies fault, I'm gonna blow your head off.

The other one is From the Shootist and, in my mind is so classic I can't beleive no one else has mentioned it. I think it is his first line or very near so in that movie where he says "Mister, you need to look for another line of work, this one sure don't fit your pistol".

I got my first John Wanye DVD yeaterday at Fry's--the Special addition Alamo.

Cool Huh?
      Doug
    • Doug,

Great line from "The Shootist". I forgot that one, and I agree that is classic. There are many to choose from, and I am sure that someone will mention others we forgot. As for me, as I approach middle age, I find myself forgetting things all the time, so reminding me is alright.

Keep it coming, doug

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • I dont know why but I think that it is because of the thunder and lightening etc that makes this my favourite Duke line.

Its in Big Jake and Duke and Sam Sharpnose are approaching the bad guys for the final shootout.

Duke says "Pitchfork rain right not, be in our favour
      Sam "Yea and lightening might help"
      Duke "Might hurt to" and as he says this we see and hear thunder and lightening as we are watching them ride to the showdown how cool is this line or am I unique in liking it. :D

B)
      Regards
      Robbie
    • What are some of your personal favorite one liners the Duke has said. There are several in every movie but the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now are from True Grit when asked what direction he was moving when he was backing up. "Backwards! I always go backwards when I'm backin' up!" And the part in Big Jake when the he is told to let down the guy before he gets hung at the beginning "You got me real scared Mr." Then he throws the knife into the tree next to the guys face, "You let him down!" The Duke is the man!!!
    • I am going to break away from your question to give a quote from John Waynes Friend Bob Hope. This is true as told by his daughter. Bob Hopes family were gathered around the death bed. The good byes had been said. His daughter asked her dad where do you want us to bury you?

Bob Hope never without a come back said, "Why don't you surprise me."

I could see John Wayne with a come back like that also.

Can you imagine the USO show they had in heaven on Monday night with all the greats there. Where I live is in the desert and we had a major electrical storm Monday night. Lightening and thunder. All I could think of was that it must be the applause from the show in heaven.

Sorry to get off the track but I couldn't resist.
      The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!