Pinned Duke's Movie Quotes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 167 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Robbie.

• Duke's Movie Quotes

Hello Duke Heads

My Favourite Thing in a John Wayne Movie are those brilliant lines that only the Duke can Deliver.

As My name is the Shootister lol and it holds a special meaning to me I say this line to those of you who dont particulary like me Taken from the shootist.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

And another of my favourite lines taken from "In Harms way" up the marines, is for those of you who dont like challenging debates.

"All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else."
    • Well,

I like Duke in Big Jake when serveral times in the movie, when was asked who he was and he told them Jacob McCandles, they would always say, "I thought you were dead" McCandles then would say, "Not Hardly!" Great line.

Also in the same movie, Wayne says to Fain when Fain opens the ransom box, "Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobody's fault. It don't matter. I'm gonna blow your head off. It's as simple as that.... No matter what else happens. No matter who gets killed. I'm gonna blow your head off."

Hondo B)
      Duke Head

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Hi Shootister!

I totally agree with you about the line in the Shootist! And I love that movie, although it is very hard for me to watch.
      Another line I like is from Rio Bravo, " Sorry don't don't get done Dude."
      And even though True Grit is not my favorite movie I like the line, "Come see a fat old man some time!"
      And then the line from Rio Lobo where Shasta says that John Wayne is comfortable, and at the end when he says, "Just don't call me comfortable!"

Stacy
    • "Let's go Home, Debbie"

"Good luck, C-Troop!", the lest-we-forget-scene from Yellow Ribbon

The reaction-shots on Wayne when Brennan delivers this line several times in Red River: "You was wrong, Mr. Dunson."

The last line ever: "This is my birthday. Gimme the best of the house."

"My friends just call me Ringo."

"Not thinking. Just remembering". The last night at The Alamo.

Come to think of it, there are quite a lot of good lines!
    • Hello Duke Heads

I have to agree with Stacy about finding it hard to watch the shootist, I had forgotten Hondo about Big Jake and not hardly that was a brilliant line as invincible as the duke and timeless.

Itdo Is also correct there are to many great lines to remember.
    • I don't know that this is my favorite line, or a particularly famous one, but after some of the information that has been shared in other threads regarding Geraldine Page's "allergy" to soap, I found the following statement by the Duke (in Hondo) particularly funny -

" . . . I can smell you when I'm downwind of ya . . . I could find you in the dark, Mrs. Lowe."

Of course, the "dots" in the middle were filled with fairly complimentary things that he said to her. If she really smelled as bad as has been reported, John Wayne can DEFINITELY act (not that any of us doubted that!).

After watching Hondo last night (the first time for my wife), we are half way on the way to being able to comment on another thread on this board (can you guess which one . . . ? ;) ).

Cheers!

Chester
    • Here's One for the POsts

"I taught you what to do when the snow comes, how to survive in a blizzard. I taught you how to deal with men, but women, nobody knows what's on a woman's mind."
      - The Undefeated (1969)

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • I have a hard time taking the romantic scenes in Hondo seriously. Geraldine Page doesn't match up well with John Wayne in my opinion. There is a line-I can't remember if it was Duke's or Geraldine's-that refers to her as homely. The phrasing is so great that I always have to laugh at that part.

There are so many great Duke lines. I like a lot of them from North to Alaska. One that comes to mind is good because of the delivery. At the end of the movie Angel and Sam are in the street and he is trying to keep her from leaving. She wants a good reason and after going back and forth with "why" and "because," he shouts "because I love you!"

The Cowboys is another one of my favorites. In particular I like the exchange between the stuttering kid and Duke. The kid calls him an SOB and John Wayne makes him repeat it until it comes out strong and clear, but John Wayne follows it up with "I wouldn't make a habit of calling me that, son."

Duchess
    • This is a good topic ;)

Here are some of my favourite Duke lines

In the train robbers he throws his friend a rifle and tells him "if anyone tries to cross that river before we get out of sight BAPTISE THEM"

In Rio Lobo the heavy states to John "I should have taken you this morning"
      John (calmly) "You should have tried"

When Martin Pawley angrily asks Duke in the Searchers "what if youd missed"
      John Replies "Never occured to me" You need to see the movie to get the full effect of that great line and the way John delivers it.

There are others I just cant think of them now, like shootister stated the creed in the shootist is great.

B)
      Regards
      Robbie