The Barbarian And The Geisha (1958)

There are 124 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 103,703 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this but, does anybody know if there is a good ( not import ) dvd out there on the barbarian and the geisha? Does anybody have one? I have it on VHS. I liked the movie! Great story about the Japanese people. Thanks! My name is Bill, I'm from Colchester Vermont. Im 53 years old and work at IBM. Been a JW fan since i was a kid. I'm a greenhorn here so patients please!

• Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this but, does anybody know if there is a good ( not import ) dvd out there on the barbarian and the geisha? Does anybody have one? I have it on VHS. I liked the movie! Great story about the Japanese people. Thanks! My name is Bill, I'm from Colchester Vermont. Im 53 years old and work at IBM. Been a JW fan since i was a kid. I'm a greenhorn here so patients please!

No there is no Region one DVD available for the Barbarian and the Geisha however you can download it from Amazon Instant Video

• Finally saw this one for the first time in wide screen on Blu Ray and was knocked out by the colors and scene compositions. Watching it in pan and scan format almost completely ruins the movie.
    Wayne is admirable as always but the overall picture suffers a bit from a meandering script. Actually, I would have preferred to see more of Wayne's character and less of Japan even if it made the running time longer. I did notice that there was a lot of screen time devoted to translation.
    I recommend it, but I enjoyed "The Conqueror" more.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Finally saw this one for the first time in wide screen on Blu Ray and was knocked out by the colors and scene compositions. Watching it in pan and scan format almost completely ruins the movie.
    Wayne is admirable as always but the overall picture suffers a bit from a meandering script. Actually, I would have preferred to see more of Wayne's character and less of Japan even if it made the running time longer. I did notice that there was a lot of screen time devoted to translation.
    I recommend it, but I enjoyed "The Conqueror" more.

We deal in lead, friend.

Agreed Gorch,
    I watched it last week on Blu ray and have to say it was stunning.
    It's an odd entry in the Duke's canon, I can see why he chose the role for its patriotic slant, quite enjoyable none the less.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"