The Barbarian And The Geisha (1958)

There are 125 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 104,367 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I finally got around to watching this and after reading about how slow and ponderous it was, I was amazed at how enjoyable the movie actually is. John Wayne and Japan is a combo that works surprisingly well. The only problem I had was how helpless John Wayne seemed when going up against that little guy. John Wayne is never helpless.

• I finally got around to watching this and after reading about how slow and ponderous it was, I was amazed at how enjoyable the movie actually is. John Wayne and Japan is a combo that works surprisingly well. The only problem I had was how helpless John Wayne seemed when going up against that little guy. John Wayne is never helpless.

The fight passage in the film has generated plenty of discussion on many forums!
    I have to agree the film is better than I was expecting too and the cinematography and direction is stunning.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• So, I started trying to watch The Barbarian and the Geisha...anyone else have trouble with this one?

I hate to say it but it's sort of a stinker. I love films about Japan with accurate representations of the culture but the beginning made me cringe. Does it improve?

Help!

We're burning moonlight.

• So, I started trying to watch The Barbarian and the Geisha...anyone else have trouble with this one?

I hate to say it but it's sort of a stinker. I love films about Japan with accurate representations of the culture but the beginning made me cringe. Does it improve?

Help!

Hi Peridot,
    It is a languid film with an equally tedious score which really doesn't help the proceedings!
    The cinematography is beautiful as is landscape but it does all drag a bit.
    It won't suddenly jump into life but it is worth watching all the way through.

I hope that helps a bit!

Regards,

Peter

• Well, I managed to finish it out and I'm grateful I did. The fight scene was interesting and the photography was beautiful when it was new, I imagine. I'd like to get hold of the Blu-ray. I saw a letterboxed unrestored version from television.

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging support. I give this one two stars because it was finished and I could see what they were going for in the film.

:star::star:

We're burning moonlight.

• Well, I managed to finish it out and I'm grateful I did. The fight scene was interesting and the photography was beautiful when it was new, I imagine. I'd like to get hold of the Blu-ray. I saw a letterboxed unrestored version from television.

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging support. I give this one two stars because it was finished and I could see what they were going for in the film.

No problem Peridot, that's why we're all on here, for encouragement!

Walmart released a Blu ray and DVD combo earlier this year and the quality of the transfer was very good indeed.

Glad you enjoyed, I also did, but it was just tiresome film.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I'll look for it in the next couple of days. I wish I'd known that before I suffered through this faded and sad version. Still, something to look forward to, isn't it? You're a dear. I'm not sure I can communicate how disappointed I was with the grey-as-black, pink-as-red version I suffered through. :heart: Thank you.

We're burning moonlight.

• I'll look for it in the next couple of days. I wish I'd known that before I suffered through this faded and sad version. Still, something to look forward to, isn't it? You're a dear. I'm not sure I can communicate how disappointed I was with the grey-as-black, pink-as-red version I suffered through. :heart: Thank you.

It does look stunning and the best way to see it. However it doesn't transform the film into a classic, it's still rather slow and dull.

• Didn't find the Blu-Ray at Wallyworld yesterday when I went shopping there. Disappointed.

I would imagine they have sold out. Being it was the only place this and the big trail were released on blu ray the demand must have been quite high. Both are being sold on Amazon if that helps.

• I would imagine they have sold out. Being it was the only place this and the big trail were released on blu ray the demand must have been quite high. Both are being sold on Amazon if that helps.

In truth and in fact, I'm afraid they sent it back. I was there some days ago and they were packing up crates of DVDs and Blu-Rays and sending them back. I fear I missed it.

We're burning moonlight.

• In truth and in fact, I'm afraid they sent it back. I was there some days ago and they were packing up crates of DVDs and Blu-Rays and sending them back. I fear I missed it.

I was about to inform you that this movie was being released in wide retail and no longer an exclusive to Walmart, but I have been beaten to it already.

But here is the link anyway