3 Godfathers (1948)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 90 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 13 2006, 05:32 AM
      . . . in 1916 when  Edward J LeSaint directed  the Peter B Kyne story. It starred Harry Carey . . . 1919 Ford directed it for the first time calling the film Marked Men . . .  1929 it was remade with the title Hells Heroes . . . and in 1936 as 3 Godfathers . . . the 1948 version when the veterans son played The Abilene Kid one of the outlaws and Ford dedicated the film to Harry Carey, who had died the year before, the bright star of the early western sky.
      [snapback]33548[/snapback]

As Senta noted, that is an impressive history of the story on film . . . that's one of the reasons we are so happy to have you here, Arthur - you are a wealth of information :rolleyes: (plus, you're such a nice guy :wub: ).

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:
    • Re: 3 Godfathers (1948)

I was surprised at how much I thoroughly enjoyed this film, the colors, the cinematography, and the entire cast were all wonderful. One of my favorite sequences in this movie is when they are going through Robert William Pedro's stuff, these tough men pondering what each is for and wondering what the heck to do with the child is great. I was surprised to see Ben Johnson in such an early supporting role with decent screen time, I knew Ford had used him frequently but it was still surprising. My one complaint is that the script seems a little thin at times, it's almost as if the movie was improv-ed.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, somewhere else on this board, but my son gave me a DVD of this film for Christmas about three years ago, before it was released in this country. Mine comes from Brazil, in Portuguese, but we can change it to English.

Anyway, here are a couple of posters (the second one is a 1962 re-release, a less colorful version of the original) -

Three Godfathers-poster.jpg

Three Godfathers-1962 reissue poster.jpg

As for this movie,gentleness of the directer J.Ford was expressed well;
      think that is interresting western movie.
      And the splendor of John Wayne starring does not to say.
      J.W. arrive in New Jersalem to lay the baby on the bar counter on Christmas Day.
      and say "Set'em up mister, Milk for the infant and a cold BEER for me".
      this beer seeming to be delicious!

and I wonder always it whether the baby is a girl or boy. the name Robert William
      Pedro Hightower seems to be a boy,but it is really a girl to play by Amelia Yelda.
      Truly which must it be a boy or girl? anybody knows?

Regards,
      H.sanada

H.sanada wrote:

I wonder always it whether the baby is a girl or boy. the name Robert William Pedro Hightower seems to be a boy,but it is really a girl to play by Amelia Yelda.
      Truly which must it be a boy or girl? anybody knows?

The character in the story was obviously a boy, but I must say I have NEVER heard of a boy named Amelia, so the baby was most likely played by a girl (she must have been the right age, and it is often difficult to tell if a baby is a boy or a girl, so I think it is not uncommon to have a boy baby played by a girl, or a girl baby played by a boy, as long as the child is the right "age"). In checking on IMDb, I see that 3 Godfathers was Amelia's solo acting role.

Chester :newyear:

Tonight, we watched our Brazilian copy of 3 Godfathers, which has an English soundtrack. We received it from our son about 4 years ago, before it was available on DVD in this country. Our copy was not the best quality, but was watchable.

It's been a couple of years since we've seen it, but we certainly enjoyed it tonight. Ward Bond was just as you would expect him to be (classic Ward Bond - jovial but also gruff), Hank Worden was his usual comedic self, it was great to see familiar faces Jack Pennick, Guy Kibbee, and Jane Darwell.

It was also nice to see Mildred Natwick, although we thought she looked a little old for the part. At 43, she WAS a little old to be playing the part of a 28-year-old, first-time mother.

Regarding Amelia Yelda, Keith listed the following item regarding the baby girl playing a baby boy . . .

ethanedwards wrote:

Trivia

* When John Wayne is "greasing" the baby boy, Robert William Pedro, it is evident that the baby boy is actually a baby girl.

We did notice that to be the case :shades_smile:. Enquiring minds want to know . . . whatever happened to Amelia Yelda??

Our 11-year-old noticed that after John Wayne's character threw away the damaged water bag, the next shot shows the bag back on the horse.

Despite our minor criticisms, we did enjoy it. We had no idea that Harry Carey, Jr. was such a good singer. The other songs were enjoyable as well.

Overall, we would rate it a 7 out of 10.

Chester :newyear:

This movie isn't really one to fall throught the cracks. It is popular with JW fans and seems to have held up over the years. I agree with you, Jim, in that Mildred Natwick does appear too old for the part. It should have been played by an actress in her 20's.

I loved Pedro Armendariz in his role. It was funny hearing Duke telling him to stop speaking Mex in front of the infant all the time. And this is one of my more favorite rolls by Harry Carey Jr. He portrayed the "The Abilene Kid" excellently. And he sung amazingly, as Jim already stated. Ward Bond was...well...Ward Bond. Perfect!

It was a little hard to believe how jovial and friendy the town was to Duke's character after his journey with the baby. I can see the town and the Marshall being appreciative of his efforts to save the baby, but he was still guilty of robbing the bank. When a thief takes my money, It would take me a while to get over that! But other than that, a great ending to the film.

In the book the movie was made from, it was Carey's character that saved the baby. Armendariz's character was the one who was shot. His character and Dukes character decide to give all their water to the kid (who they think can go straight and raise the baby) and infant and wear out themselves to the death to get them out of the dessert. First Pedro's character carry's the baby till he falters, then Duke's character carry's untill he is played out. The last leg is done by the kid. A great book made into a great movie

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

No, Jim, the baby wasn't related. The Sherriff isn't even in the story. There wasn't even a chase by the posse into the dessert, just a shoot-out escaping town. There were 4 badmen who rode into town to rob the bank. One was killed on the way out. Once the three men escaped town, there was no longer anything about a chase. Their plan was to cross the dessert, thereby avoiding everyone. Their plans change, of course, when they came upon the mother giving birth. The story about the baby's father blowing up the tanks and trudging off to his death, leaving the mother alone is the same as the film. From here on out, it is very similar to the film, except that the book ends when the last man and baby reach New Jerusalem. It's not a very big book, but a good read. The movie was more entertaining.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "